Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-01-17, 22:46
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 411/366/249 Male 76"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default They Call me Big Daddy

Hello,

I joined the forum this week and have been Low-Carbing it since the middle of October. On September 13th, I weighed 411 pounds. This morning I weighed 371 pounds. So, I feel pretty good about my progress. But, my story is much longer than that. Here is a short version...

In 2012, I weighed 520 pounds and scared myself by almost having a heat stroke. I knew I had to do something! I had tried various diets over the years and would always gain the weight back that I lost and perhaps a bit more. My wife and I discussed the options and I made the decision to have the Gastric Sleeve surgery. In truth, it saved my life. I dropped down to 369 pounds and was doing well. However, at that time (2014) we made a transition in our lives and decided to return to Missionary work over seas. In our system, we raise our own support which required about 16 months of traveling. This of course meant eating out most of the time which saw me balloon up to over 400 pounds again. Hence the starting weight with this WOE of 411.

The truth is that you can out eat weight loss surgery. So, while it saved my life it didn't "fix" what is at the root of the problem which has always been an unhealthy approach to food. Plain and simple, I have been ruled by my appetite my whole life. Now, I am 6'4" tall and always carried my weight well. (Whatever that means?) But, once I hit 50 (I'm 55 now) I started to have a few problems here and there. For a fat guy, I'm unusually healthy. I don't struggle with anything but VERY mildly elevated Blood Pressure. Other than that, my Doctors are amazed. But, I can "feel" my weight where I never used to be able to.

When I saw the scale reading 411; I knew that it was time to make a change. Simple portion control as a result of weight-loss is not enough. So, we started a self monitored Low Carb diet and did pretty well. However, I really stalled for about 3-4 weeks and felt that I needed to shake things up a bit. I use and app called Carb Manager to keep track of what goes down my gullet. While in their forum, I saw a ling for the website DietDoctor.Com and checked out.

We started their 2 week challenge program this past Sunday and it seems to have broken the stall. Plus, the food has really been fantastic. So, I'm going to stay on their program for while and see where it takes me. Currently, I'm 2 pounds from my lowest weight which is my first Goal. The second Goal is 349 followed by micro-goals of 50 pounds each until I reach 250 or so. From there, we'll see where I need to go.

I hope to keep track of what I do and learn from those who have walked down this trail before me.

Oh, the name Big Daddy was given to me in my mid-thirties by a young man and it seemed to stick. It was a term of endearment, it fits me, and for the type of work I do it helps people remember me. My website is www.bigdaddymissions.com. So, I'll probably never shed the name. Even after I shed the weight!

Thanks for letting me ramble a bit,

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeff - 2012 and 2014.jpg (19.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Jeff - 2013 and 2014.jpg (26.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Jeff - September 2017.jpg (25.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by JeffPrice : Fri, Dec-01-17 at 22:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 00:54
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Welcome to the forums!

Consider starting a journal--it's a kind of home base where people can drop in on one another, offer encouragement, journal about their journey.

It sounds like you are sincerely seeking a solution and willing to put in the work that it takes to change your life. Now is a great time to do that while you have your health, your energy, and hopefully many years ahead in which to enjoy the (LC) fruits of your labors.

Best wishes to you in your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 03:59

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi again, I stopped in to say welcome when you asked about fish...You are making a great start, celebrate and be proud of yourself, thus far, remember one day at a time, and as Kathleen suggested, make a journal, that way we can visit more often and keep up with your success, stop by my journal sometime, have a positive day, ttyl
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 06:42
Registered Member

BF:

I tried to follow the instructions about the journal. But, it didn't make sense to me. On the Home page I couldn't find a link to a journal or Bootcamp. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the wlecome
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 06:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Go to the "active low-carber forums" main page where all the categories are listed. Click on the Journal/Bootcamp section and then start your own journal thread.

Hope that helps and welcome. Glad you found us.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 07:00
Registered Member

BF:

Would it be "ok" to just paste what I wrote as my introduction since it is my firs journal post?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 07:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPrice
Would it be "ok" to just paste what I wrote as my introduction since it is my firs journal post?

Sure. It is your journal and you can pretty much post what you want there as long as no forum rules are violated and that's unlikely to happen.

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 07:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks! I was just unsure of the etiquette of things. :-)
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 08:57
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome to the forum Big Daddy. That name may stick, but if you stick to eating low carb it will be in a punny sort of way.

Your story is much the same as mine. I likely would have had weight loss surgery had the finances been there when I was at the bottom with my weight and health. The finances were not there, so my only options were diet or an early death. I made low carb 'how I eat' and stuck with the program until it stuck. When I eat carbs food rules. When I keep the carbs low I am in control. It takes work to change your lifestyle. But people on this forum have done it. When I saw what they had done I realized that I could do it, too. The support here does help. Stick around and take advantage of it. Stick with your LC program, make low carb a permanent lifestyle, then you will find the success that you desire.

BTW: My brother had gastric sleeve surgery a few months after I started my health & weight loss journey back in 2014. We live on opposite coasts, so I don't see him often. In May 2015 I was out west for a visit. My little bro had lost most all of his excess weight. I had lost 175 pounds, but still had a long way to go. My brother passed on some of his used clothes to me. I couldn't yet fit them. The next time I went back west was this past summer. I was no longer obese. My little bro had regained quite a bit of weight. I had shrunk out of the clothes that he gave me. He had outgrown that size by then so there was no point in giving them back. So like many who have WLS, it was not the magic cure for him. He figured out how to eat around it. We have to get the diet right. My brother won't give up carbs. But I know that the carbs are his problem. You know what they say... you can lead a horse to water... My little bro is going to have to figure things out for himself.

I've been in maintenance for 16 months. Even with staying low carb it has not been totally smooth sailing. I can still overeat. If I don't give proper attention to my diet then I will gain. Hanging out on this forum helps keep me focused and accountable. I'm still in a good place with my life and my health.

Again welcome. We need more Big Daddy's around here. I wish you success. You can do this.

Last edited by khrussva : Sat, Dec-02-17 at 09:02.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-02-17, 09:32
Registered Member

BF:

Hello Russ (is that correct?);

Thanks for you note. I appreciate the time you took to encourage me and tell me about your brother's situation. I had actually read some of your story and it was a blessing to me to see what you have done.

Ultimately, I'm glad I did the surgery. But I wish that I would have had the discipline to simply change my WOE. It would have been better in the long run. Though, I can eat more than I first could after surgery, I eat way less than pre-surgery. So, maybe that is a good thing!

Thanks;

Jeff
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-17, 08:42

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Yessssssssss!

Big Daddy, I am so happy to see another big guy on the site. I have read khrussva's post and story and I have read many others. It has kick me into gear. But I hope to see you active also. I am a 5 heart transplant, so it's tricky to do the LCHF. But it is working for me and my doctors are happy with my blood work.

Keep up the work, I am going to keep in touch with you also and the rest on the site. I love all the people on here and there is great information. So true to the WOE and with in 6 months you will be very happy. Remember it does take time.