Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 16:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Watch out, Newbie on wheels!

I just got rollar blades this past weekend and every night I put them on and try to stand up and move.
Well last night I was able to not only get up off my chair without using my hands but I could also do a squat while wearing my blades!
And yes, rollar blading is different than ice skating! First of all the brakes are in the front for ice skates and in the back on the rollar blades and the breaks are only on the right foot! Do you realize how many times, I accidently spun myself around because of that?!
I can make some skating motions on my carpet, I live in an apartment and the carpet is very flat and I'm sure I'm not making it any better
I can move (I wouldn't call it skating, more like shuffling) across my tiled kitchen.
Needless to say, I have progress.
I'm at 15 minutes per day for now.
I plan on working out in my home for now, moving out to the hallway, then to the parking lot behind my place. If all goes well I should be able to blade at work in the huge hall out back and maybe in the basement (concrete floor). I'm all set got my helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and most importantly hand pads!

Anyone want to give me pointers or just want to be a blading buddy let me know
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 11:46
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Not improving that fast

I can stand longer on my skates and I now go down hallways. But I still can't go across a room without reaching for chairs, walls, etc. I wonder if I should make myself fall just to get over that.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:32
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool 2/27 - Wednesday

I'm so excited!! I can actually skate across my carpeted living room floor and I can step glide across the kitchen's tiled floor!
I got some good advice on line and one of the things they said is that you need to practice walking in your skates with your toes slightly out and you need to walk on the 'balls' of your feet not your heals by leaning forward slightly.
I will tell you this, posture is everything when you start.
I had so much better balance and I didn't get the sensation that I was about to fall over!
My next step is to practice standing on one foot at a time for a small period of time. I'm taking a break now because my muscles are sore and tired. I've been trying to rollerblade 5 days straight.
I take it that isn't a good idea till I get 'conditioned'.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 11:49

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%
Thumbs up Rollerblading!!!!

WOO HOO!!!! I love rollerblading. I used rollerblade a lot (one day 27 miles. ) It's one of the best ways to exercise. You'll get the hang of it, Lessara. Falling's not too bad, especially if you have protective equipment, (Wrist guards are my first on, must haves!) and when no one's watching you.

One MAJOR word of advice!!!!!! (ok, two. LOL)
1) When you get to the point blading a lot, make sure you have the right size allen wrench with you and ALWAYS check to make sure your wheels are tight. (My friend found this out the hard way.)
2) Make sure your brake is adjusted so that you can actually stop with the break, and not by falling on you tush. (I can personally attest to how much that sucks!)

Have fun!!!!!

Melissa
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 11:19
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool 3/1 - Friday

I can actually hold one foot up at a time and balance on the other while wearing rollarblades! Even my son can't do that

This weekend I'm going to try rollarblading at a nearby park, it has a new parking lot... yes I'm wearing my pads!!
I'm alittle nervous. Its one thing to look silly in private, totally another to look silly in public!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 11:49
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy 2/5 - Wednesday

I took some days off, and when I tried rollerblading, I was surprised! Not only did my legs ache but I was incredable weak!
I could only rollerblade for 5 minutes! I'll try again tonight and see what happens.
I'm able to 'roll' in the living room and glide alittle in the kitchen.
I wonder if my work would mind me rollerblading in the office?
Its so nice and thin...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 12:22

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%
Question Flexall?

I don't know if this would help you at all, but I know that when I started rollerblading (and then re-started rollerblading) that my legs were killing me (from using muscles that I didn't use a lot.) What helped me was using Flexall 454. It doesn't smell too great, but it killed the aching.

HTH

Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-02, 10:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

Unhappy Help! I have been so fustrated!

I'm fighting both lack of stamina and my fear of falling.
I want to glide and to move but I just can't let go!! After being in the rollarblades for a half hour, I had such muscle pain. I did up my potassium to full dose which is twice what I was taking.
So I'm taking 99mg of potassium its boosted with Magnessium (100mg) Phosphorus (80mg) Calcuim (250mg) as well as B-6 (1.7mg) and Vitamin A (5000 iu).
I'm going to sneak into work and rollarblade on the thin carpet here. That way I can fall many times without killing my hands!
Hopefully that will get me over the fear of falling. Any help with this would be great!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 07:16

Plan: Doctor's Prescribed Plan
Stats: 274/169/144 Female 5' 5"
BF:60%/42%/22%
Progress: 81%
Question Rollerblading question

I tried rollerblading once. I went on a series of outings at a local school track REALLY late at night so no one could see me and I skated around the track (slowly) a few times.

MY ANKLES WERE SOOOO SORE!

Do your ankles hurt when you rollerblade? Maybe I just got the wrong size of skates. I had to stop rollerblading because of so much pain. Any tips?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I tried roller blading breifly. I wish I would have stuck it out, but I had the same problems you did - fear of falling - and gave up. Good for you for sticking with it!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 11:38
Everyday Sane Psycho

Cool Lessara at the Gym

Hi all, As many of you may know, I joined the YMCA gym that actually resides right between my work and my home.
I thought it would be good for me to record my morning program here so I can see my progress....again...

Wednesday 11/20
morning
20minutes Stational Bike level 1 manual
15min treadmill 2.0 mph
night
10min treadmill 3.0mph
5min crosstrainer level 1
leg lifts 12 rps right leg 65lbs
6 rps left leg 20lbs, very shaky

Thursday
15min treadmill 3.0mph
leg lifts 12 rps right leg 45lbs
12 rps left leg 20lbs, better still alittle shaky
5min cross trainer level 1

Friday
15 minutes Stational Bike level 3 manual
2min crosstrainer level 1, bone tired, forgot breakfast!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-02, 11:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lessara, I've merged your post about the gym with your gym log (accessed by clicking on the Gym Log icon in your posts). If you'd like the title of your thread changed to reflect the new gym membership, let us know

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 10:59
Everyday Sane Psycho

Post Nat

I would like my thread to be changed to showing my gym interest Thank you
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 11:43
Everyday Sane Psycho

Smile Monday 11/25

Well I started out today with a bowl of oatmeal (25 carbs) with a little cinnamin and cream.

At the Y, I did my 15 min at 3.0 on the treadmill, cross training for 5 min at level 1, and 12 reps of 30lbs with left then right leg. My muscles didn't feel tired after an hour or two of rest after. I have to tell you this, I actually hated the treadmill, my back started to ache, but I felt much better when I started my cross training.
I wonder.. should I increase my cross training time or wait to see if I can do it all week first.. I probably should wait.

For some reason I've very hungry today
I had about 3-4 oz of round eye steak with mushrooms for lunch and I'm still hungry. Weird...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 12:08

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Good morning Kassie

The added hunger is probably from the oatmeal you had this morning. Perfectly natural, as I sometimes get the same thing Also means you had a good workout You might try adding an after workout snack within an hour, like an apple with peanut butter, or celery and cream cheese. I found that also helps cut the hunger down a bit. Plus it helps the muscles recover faster.

Do you stretch? You might try adding in some stretching for the lower back area or ask your trainer for some exercises to strenghten the lower back area. I have a really bad lower back from a bike wreck I had in 1987. Literally tore my lower back all to heck. I have always had problems after that. I do lower back stretches before I get on the treadmill so it doesn't tighten up on me while walking/running.

Really happy you are doing well on your routine so far Keep after it.