Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Grav's success story: not-so-widescreen edition (120 pounds lost)

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 23:30

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Release history

2017-01-18: published on lowcarber.org
2017-02-01: published on dietdoctor.com

Last edited by Grav : Wed, Feb-01-17 at 00:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 03:08

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Congratulations Grav! You've defied the experts and discovered what really works. It's a great accomplishment. Let's hope that the powers that be finally see the truth and start recommending what really works rather than what prolongs and increases suffering. I've had people say to me that they can't imagine me 125 pounds heavier, but I was. It's a strange feeling, knowing that you appear "normal" to people.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 06:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Grav, what a brilliant success story! The pain of your childhood size and the frustration with nutrition experts can be deeply felt by your reader. We will all look forward to your story on DietDoctor, maybe you can link back to the longer "not so wide screen edition" here because it is very moving. Congratulations on your 50kg loss.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 06:25
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Wow what a terrific inspiring success story, Grav!

Imma so glad to be the among the first ones to CONGRATULATE you on your successful, continuing journey!

You are always supportive, encouraging and inspirational to everyone here on these threads! Thank you for that!

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 09:35
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Brilliant story, Grav! You did it, dude. You figured it out. Those of us who were overweight at a young age clearly had something else going on. We were NEVER compatible with the standard western diet. And yet the blame and the shame was put on us. I have read many, many success stories of people like us. We share so much in common. No skinny fat shamer or "expert" in their field of health & nutrition ever had to work so hard to maintain a normal weight. We were not obese by choice. We put in the effort. We beat ourselves against a brick wall of bad dietary advice. And then we figured it out on our own. Your story revived some long forgotten memories of torment from my early days in school. P.E. was embarrassment & torcher when it included things I could not do.

You did an awesome job, young man. I wish I'd have figured this out sooner. There is the Grav before that turning point with the gym instructor and the Grav after. Enjoy your new life.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Jan-18-17 at 10:27.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 11:40

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thank you, Grav. This is honestly and artfully written. I'm glad you arrived at this site, and look forward to continuing this journey with you.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 20:52
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Well done, my friend from over the puddle, well done!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 06:14

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"Two Thumbs Up for the STANDARD DEFINITION version of "Grav's Story". An outstanding tale of adventure and self discovery. Highly recommended, bring a friend."

- thud123, Hawke's Bay Today
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 07:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Congratulations on such a hard-won success. You look great, and I bet you feel even better.

It's painful to think of all the unnecessary suffering the eating guidelines cause. May we see change in our lifetime.

(ETA) You look like Simon Pegg. Do you get that much?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 02:06

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:

Janet: I did decide at the last minute to reference lowcarber.org at the end. Now that you mention it, I wonder if it's possible for my journal thread to be renamed "Grav's story: extended edition"?

Ken: glad to have joined you in the learning-to-maintain phase at last. We did it, dude!

Thud: best review ever, lol.

Kristine: that's a new one on me. Someone once mentioned they imagined I might look like Lee DeWyze if I ever lost weight. I think I've probably passed him by now, but I'd still have to lose more around my middle to approach Simon Pegg I reckon.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 03:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ask a forum moderator, Rosebud, if it is possible to change a title now.
LOVE All the new photos added to this story since your original post. Including the classic "old pants" shot
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 10:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Now that you mention it, I wonder if it's possible for my journal thread to be renamed "Grav's story: extended edition"?

Done! . In future, just click the report icon at the top right of your post to send a request. We're glad to help

And congratulations on your amazing success. What an inspiration

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 13:24

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Grave, Thank you so much for posting your inspirational story. All of the details of what happened to you along the way, immediately ring so true with me. Almost like Deja Vu.

When Ken posted this, I thought to myself, that's exactly what happened to my children and I at school age, so I can definitely say that I absolutely can relate to your journey Grave as I imagine many of us can..

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Your story revived some long forgotten memories of torment from my early days in school. P.E. was embarrassment & torcher when it included things I could not do.

I think the worse P.E. embarrassment was the big hanging rope in the gymnasium and being told to climb to the top which was about 30 feet up. I remember being weighed at that time too, in front of everyone.

My children were all average weight until they started school and began eating the high carb lunches. Then the fat shaming started as if it were somehow all our fault. I'm sure your parents were fat shamed as to why their child was overweight but we (parents) were being "force fed" a load of false information with an upside down food pyramid of high carbs and low-fat.

Myself, you made me remember the fat kids club that our pediatrician started, where we would come into the office once a week and be drilled on what scheduled exercises we had done that week and it was all logged as we took turns performing them for the nurse. I now recall that we were to start our dieting with one week of low-carb and then had to shift to low fat because low-carb was "dangerous" on a long term basis. Wow!

Thank you for your story Grave and Congratulations to you on your success in finding the truth on what made you and all of us fat and how to cure it for life.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 06:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/285/200 Male 190cm
BF:
Progress:

an incredible result
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-22-18, 21:35

Plan: Low carb/Keto
Stats: 335/334/200 Male 5'8"
BF: