Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-18, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic 41
How are you doing Nawchem? Speaking of sweets, I made low carb fudge yesterday and had a piece at night. I woke up to my throat being on fire and had no almond milk or even whipping cream on hand. All that was there was regular milk and drank a cup because it coats the throat immediately. I found at that moment it was so bad and I have no persciption for acid reflux. My acid reflux has become a lot more rare these days so I sort of screwed up because milk has sugar in it. My throat feels better. Back on the wagon!

I'm glad you posted this. Reflux hurts! I was just contemplating buying some Atkins meals for a change but they all have wheat. So you saved me.

I still have carb thoughts. Simple words set me off. Some days I go up to 40 carbs on my allowed foods and it keeps me from a real cheat.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-05-18, 13:01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen24
Knowing that about myself, I now tell the girls, "No, but I'll make a donation," and I do.

Even the LC treats are treading dangerous grounds for me. If I am looking for something to eat just for the pleasure of eating, I'm starting to slide down the slippery slope. This process of retraining my appetite is a slow one, but I can tell you that it's working. I don't feel deprived in not having treats. I had some slices of salami with cream cheese between them a few weeks ago, and took concerned note of how this functioned for me as a strong stimulant of my pleasure centers, and how I wanted to continue to eat them--not out of hunger, but just chasing that high. I didn't have any more, because I know me.

I don't use the sugar-is-poison route of avoiding eating the treats out there. I have more of a snobby, nose-in-the-air attitude: a sniff, followed by "I don't put THAT in my body." Seems to be working for me.

That's interesting that you're retraining your appetite. What do people do when we're not eating for hunger. We say, do I want sweet or savory or salty and then try to figure out what will make us feel the best.

Cookies have been #1 temptation and I don't like them. There's a store near enough to walk to and they put a whole row of cookies on the same aisle as the coffee and tea. It taken me a few weeks to realize that's where the word cookie got in my mind.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 11:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/207.8/125 Female 5’2
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I'm glad you posted this. Reflux hurts! I was just contemplating buying some Atkins meals for a change but they all have wheat. So you saved me.

I still have carb thoughts. Simple words set me off. Some days I go up to 40 carbs on my allowed foods and it keeps me from a real cheat.

Thanks for the head’s up on the Atkins meals. I’m in Canada... we don’t have many things low carb unless you really look and not a lot in the way of sugar free compared to U.S. as government here has banned low carb in advertising deeming it “unhealthy”. I was going to state side to pick up sugar free and those Atkins meals but maybe I’ll cross them off my list now.

Hang in there. How long have you been low carbing for? I did Atkins for 19 months no sugar or cheats and certain triggers will fade away but for myself, I also suffer from adrenal fatigue and knowing that sugar is a stimulant and I love it so much that I know I’m addicted to it, I have put it in my head that my health needs to comes first. I was so scared of becoming diabetic because it runs rampant in my family.

Once I got the great feeling of energy back, I made that pact in my mind that this is how I want to live. I’ve had to have long conversations with myself about this. I felt disgusted with myself that one night i broke down in my car and prayed to God for help. I was just tired of eating through my emotions.

What set me over the edge last Christmas after 19 months of doing so well was the loss of my relationship with my sister. I walked away from her after deciding to no longer enable her with her alcoholism because it became so bad. She was looking for a punching bag and I wasn’t going to be that person. That was very emotional for me and sent me over the edge.

I know I put that food in my mouth and it came a point where I could no longer use my estranged relationship with her an an excuse. I look back and her and I had a very codependent relationship. We would always have arguments and she would run away for months on end and I was the one always trying to repair the relationship. Not this time. I decided to walk away and she knows she can’t control me anymore with that hold over me. I’ve changed my codependent ways.

I still get nasty text messages from her at 3 am and wake up to being called names like I’m fat and ugly. I’m far from ugly but when you speak of triggers, her energy drags me down so bad that I wanted to cheat but that is what she would want and I’m going to stay strong because it’s about me now. I realized I won’t let her back into my life and it’s probably driving her crazy because I decided to walk away but I did it for myself.

You have to make it about you and not the triggers . What is it that YOU want? We are in control of our bodies and we should no longer be a slave to whatever situations we find ourselves in. I think it’s about making the conscience decision of knowing what it is you want for yourself and then coming to terms with it. Everyone is different and in time, they will make that decision.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-18, 12:41
Registered Member

Hi Nic,
I have adrenal fatigue also. Now that I have asthma I get the steroids in the inhaler.

I started eating LC in 2002 when I was diagnosed with diabetes. After 6 months I was no longer a diabetic but I continued with LC because of my weight for years. I never lost weight because I also had an undiagnosed thyroid problem.

I've been in a high stress medical program for a 1.5 years and also didn't have a kitchen and I ate every meal out and gained a lot. After I got my thyroid straightened out I lost about 18lbs. The day school got out I ate at Taco Bell for breakfast and started LCing at lunch and haven't stopped for 3 weeks. I felt like I was going to die from eating so badly, the huge quantities of carbs, gluten and caffeine. I was shaking all the time and exhausted and had excrutiating reflux every evening.

I'm so proud that you decided to love yourself and step away from your sister. The bible says love others as you love yourself. Hopefully your sister will choose life one day.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-18, 15:48
Registered Member

Nic I checked the Atkins meals
Anything lasagna has wheat, also pizza, anything with teriyaki or soy sauce, stir-fry has wheat in the sauce, about half of all the meals don't have wheat. All taste pretty good and make a nice change.

I had the Teriyaki Beef Stir-Fry (has wheat), it didn't bother me and its only 4 net carbs.