Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 09:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default The Atkins Slow Down Blues

First, let me state up front, I don't intend to be a complainer. I am just confused and frustrated, and honestly my poor husband has heard enough from me about this to fill a book, and he has not got any answers.

I began this WOE a month ago. I lost 10 lbs. right off the bat. Nothing since. I do feel better, I am more focused. BUT, right now I want to see the scale move. (After all, that is why I changed my WOE in the first place.

So, I have heard many others say that they slowed down considerably after induction. I want some practical knowledge.

WHAT DID YOU DO WHEN THE SLOW DOWN HAPPENED?
1. Keep on doing the same thing?
2. Cut more things out?
3. Reduce calorie intake?
4. Work out?

I know that this is not a speedy process. I don't expect miracles.

Also- I don't work in front of a computer, so it is hard to find the time to record everything I eat- I work full time as a teacher, and I am the mother of a toddeler! Busy is my middle name!

Give me real advise that I can use- what can I do to see some, any, change on the scale. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 09:57
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

First off there is absolutely no way to give advice about what to change when we don't have your menus.

Second... this is not a fast weightloss plan. This is a healthy way to slowly get to your goal weight (and keep it this time) while eating till satisfied whenever you are hungry without guilt. Your body will create natural stalls to catch up to the weight you have lost. And since it is slow - this helps us to learn the skills and habits to maintain the weight too.

Take measurements now - because often when the scale stops you are still losing inches.

Patience... to do this right and once and for all it takes time and consistancy.

All the best.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Fri, Mar-14-03 at 09:58.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 10:38

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Yep, Lisa's right. First things first, you should let us see a typical menu and we may be able to provide suggestions as to why you've slowed.

BUT... I suspect you are doing most everything right and just need to be patient with your body. I had a similar experience. Lost a lot initially and then slowed down dramatically after induction. Your body really needs time to catch up with fat loss and convince itself it's not starving.

As for your suggestions:
1. Keep on doing the same thing?
This is probably the route I'd take.
2. Cut more things out?
Depends on what you mean. If you started eating lots of nuts or sugar alcohols, the answer is yes. If you mean salad, the answer is no.
3. Reduce calorie intake?
At this point, I'd suggest no. Some may disagree, but I find it adequate for your body to take in a good amount of calories on this WOE, so that it is comfortable enough to lose weight. You may want to cut calories at some point, but I think it may be too early to take this measure.
4. Work out?
Working out is always good!!! I would suggest this whether you're dieting or not. Working out is great for you.

Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, taking vitamins, and sticking to the plan and you should do fine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 11:09

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

You'll find that reading through other journals will help you realize, it's normal. It can be fustrating, but I look at it that if the weight I've lost is staying off, that in it's self is <b>"progress"</b>

Cheers Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 11:23

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

After loosing 33lbs, my scale refused to budge for about 2 weeks, then yesterday finally another pound gone. Didn't want to tell anyone the stall was over until after my weigh in this morning to be sure not to jinx it, but indeed that pound's still gone. My TOM seems to have been the culprit, at least in part. I didn't change anything, just stuck with it. I figured it worked for the 1st 33lbs, so if I waited it out it would work again, and it did. Stalls are inevitable, so just wait them out & stick with it. I don't do a computer journal at fitday, but I write down everything I eat & drink in a notebook- maybe you should try this. Measure when that scale's not budging, you could be loosing inches not pounds. I know its frustrating, but look at the positive 10lbs gone already. It takes time, we didn't gain overnight so it's silly to think we'll loose it overnight. Patience is a virtue. Stick with it, and eventually you'll see the results you're looking for. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:42

Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hang in there! As you can see from the above posts, it happens to everyone.

I started on 01/01 and lost nicely until 2/8. Then stayed stuck for FOUR WEEKS! I spent that time practicing the Atkins WOE and reading these posts over and over. Finally, I'm see a few more pounds drop off.

Believe me, it WILL happen and you will be in much better shape to enjoy your students and that little cutie of yours.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Sue
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:56

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:

All good advice here, I have not had what I call a slow down or plateau. I lose pretty consitently after my big loss when I started in October. I loose pretty true to 1 to 1/2 pounds a week and that is fine with me. I did not get this way over night and I will not reach goal over night.

I have always heard tht losing slow is the best way to ensure keeping it off. Just keep doing what you are doing, providing you have read the book and are doing what Dr. says. I read the book all the time to learn all I can learm and it seems that I always find something I did not see before.

Keep the faith and follow program and it will come.

Windy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 17:12
Registered Member

Stats: 195/183/135
BF:

Thanks everybody. Good to know that this happens to lots of folks out there, and that I am not some freak of nature.

My typical day goes something like this:
Breakfast-
two eggs, sometimes a turkey breakfast sausage or two

Lunch-
tuna with 1/4 chopped up cucumber and lots of mayo on lettuce. Usually I put olive oil and red wine vinegar on the salad to- (I feel like I am 'fat-loading!') There are some lunches when I eat leftovers from the previous night's dinner.

Dinner-
steak, chicken, fish, or the occasional pork chop. Salad with lettuce, cucumber, green onion, maybe jicama or hearts of palm and sugar free salad dressing. And an additional veggie- asparagus and broccoli.

Snack-
one or two ounces of cheese, or 5 or 6 black olives, or decaf coffe with a packet of splenda and a hit of heavy cream. I try to vary my snacks so as not to get too bored.

I try to drink anywhere from 70 to 90 oz. of H2O a day- not really a problem for me.

I have yet to add any of the 'extras' for fear that they will slow me down even more...... But we are going on a vacation soon, and I am considering having a vodka-diet seven up cocktail. I think that I am eatting correctally.

I know that this is not speedy. I just want some satisfaction, and assurance that I am not going to weigh 185 lbs for the rest of my life.

thanks!

Last edited by slack32 : Fri, Mar-14-03 at 17:13.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Keep in

It looks OK to me. Just keep on doing what you are doing and you will probably get over that stall sooner than you think. I think we all have had our plateaus. Especially after that inital big loss at the start of the diet. My weight loss has gone slower and slower and is now down to 1 pound/week (maximum). Since it's less weight left to get rid of I do not worry about that! Just keep on with the diet!

Good luck!