Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-04, 18:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%
Default How long did it take to get better for you?

Hello everyone

I am fairly new on this WOE (2 months in) and had been having heavy bleeding pretty much non-stop for a few months prior to starting this WOE. I was on it 3 weeks when the bleeding stopped for 25 days and then I started my period, complete with PMS and everything. Sounds crazy, but I was thrilled!! It actually seemed to be normalizing some in a short time. Well bleeding is here again for 3 weeks and counting so my initial optimism is dashed some. I am waiting patiently, and know I have a lot to lose, but would love to hear some responses of ladies who have had some positive experiences. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 03:59
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/280/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hang on in there!!!

Hi I just wanted to say that I too had the heavy bleeding for many years, and Dr's didn't listen to me, as usual. Well i finally found 2 good docs, one for my hypothyroidism, and the other for my PCOS. I now use natural progesterone cream three weeks out of the month, and my periods returned to normal after three months, i ovulate too now. I have not had normal periods for 13 years. I know that doing Atkins has helped me tremendously too, and since Nov 03 i've lost 42lbs. So stick with Atkins and see about using natural progesterone cream, us with PCOS do not produce enough progesterone, hence the infertitlity probs, we need progesterone to conceive. Anyway good luck to you, i truely ope you find success. Sharon
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 11:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/251/160 Female 5' 11
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hello,
Well for me I started this way of eating on May 21st and have lost roughly 33-34 pounds. I went to by obgyn and since I have pcos, mother nature doesnt come every month. My Dr. gave me a choice start Provera or try low carb, (not to be gross) but she said if you dont shed a lining atleast ever 2 months, build up can start and lead to abnormal cells i.e. maybe cancer. Then I went and got the rx filled, went home read about it, provera has increased cancer risk, so basically i felt damned if I do or don't ya know. So by way of a MIRCLE I found this website and soulcysters, read up, and decided not to take the easy way out with the meds, and chose to LC.
OMG what a blessing, I no longer have food cravings,
within 7 days I got a period, and since then every 28 days like clockwork, I have never had that happen in my whole life, never. This clockwork thing is great. I go in Dec. for lab work and check up ect. I know that lining build up is gone. I am not as moody, my skin tags are gone,(tiny patches of tan skin on my neck) which until I joined this board did not know they were associated with PCOS. I think this woe is perfect for my body, it may not work for everyone, but so far for me its great!! From what I have read on the board, patience and persistance pays off. I truly wish you all the best.

Last edited by fishergirl : Fri, Aug-06-04 at 11:46. Reason: typo