Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 20:20

Plan: Atkins (basic LC) + Portion Control
Stats: 174/144/120
BF:
Progress: 56%
Talking I'm Back, Still Kinda A Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm back after a long absence. I tried to log on but couldn't so I'm back as a Newbie.

I was on Atkins (DANDR) and managed go loose some weight. I started around 174 lbs. and was around 165 pounds when I went off the LC wagon.

I suffered kidney stones and was mistakenly told that LC was bad for the kidney and that's why I had the kidney stones. Not true ... ! Also I was sick for quite a number of months and for over a month or two was unable to eat more than a mothful and what I did eat was (well, you know what). So to make a long story short, I've lose considerable weight from my illness, which is not a way I would recommend and now that I'm eating again I don't want to regain the weight (close to 25 lbs.)

I was doing good on LC, my blood sugar was great, my cholesterol & triglicerides were great, even my LDL & HDL readings were fantastic! Alas ... I am a LC Dropout. But I'm back now with a vengance. Thinking of checking out one of the other LC plans, perhaps Sommersizing ... not sure which though.

Well folks, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-03, 20:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome back! Hope your health is getting back on track.

Anything in particular you're looking for in another plan? Atkins is pretty flexible once you're in OWL and approaching maintenance. You can tweak it. You may not need to go buy a new book.

...but if you are, I recommend PPLP. Only the last chapter discusses the nutrition rules; the rest is a really good read on lifestyle. Technically, it's similar to Atkins, with a little more carb allowance. I like the Eades' writing style. They also have some nice kitchen ideas. They basically taught me how to cook.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 09:32

BF:

Hey Kistine, thanks for the welcome (back) Just what exactly is PPLP? I had a hard enough time remembering what the initials DANDR stood for.

I think one thing I didn't like when I was doing LC before was that I was on two support groups and one had too many challenges and stuff. I got caught up in record keeping and challenges. Kinda overwhelmed me. Seemed every few months I was going on induction to try to nudge my weight loss and overcome a stall.

I think what I need is a LC WOL that doesn't require counting (I'm mathematically challenged you know). Is it possible to just KNOW what LC foods to eat without having to count and to find an exercise regime that I will actually be able to live with and maintain?

Congratulations on your weight loss, I just read your stats. You GO girl.

Take care and thanks for the welcome.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 09:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Snowbird, welcome back. Congratulations on your great weight loss!

I've been doing Atkins ongoing weight loss and I don't count carbs. I know what I can eat each day -- as many low carb vegetables as I want, one or two servings of lowcarb fruit (berries or melon), cheese (including some cottage cheese) but not excessive amounts of cheese, and a handful or so of nuts. I also know that I can occasionally eat something slightly higher in carbs, such as tomato sauce or half a sweet potato, as long as I don't do it too often and don't overdo it. That's my body; you have to figure out what works for you. However, now that I know what I can handle and still lose weight, I never count carbs, I just stay within the guidelines I listed above.

Atkins is very flexible when you get to ongoing weight loss and pre-maintenance; it's only the induction stage that is inflexible.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 09:55

BF:

Technical Question Here ....

Would it matter if your OWL (ongoing weight loss) is due to LC'ing or sickness? My weight loss was due to sickness (close to 25 lbs. in two months).

What I'm wondering is ... can I just jump back into LC without going on induction again? It has been quite a while since I've done LC (close to a year I think).

I don't want to have to go on meds for cholesterol and I don't want to have to up my meds for type 2 diabetes and I DO want to not only keep off the weight I've lost but also loose another 20 lbs. or so.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 10:05
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I think that some people can jump into OWL without going through induction and others cannot. It depends upon whether or not you are craving carbohydrates. If you are craving them, induction is a good way to get over that and clear out your system. If you're not, you may just be able to decrease the amount of carbohydrates in your diet and increase the fat and protein without going through induction.

I actually backed into low carbing slowly -- first cut out all the sugar, white flour, and white rice, then slowly started eliminating potatoes, brown rice, and whole wheat flour, and cutting back on the fruit. I never actually went down to induction levels -- I went to about where I described in my post above and I've been happy. However, I know this has not worked for a lot of people on this board. They need to go through induction to clean out their system.

I think it is one of those your mileage may vary issues. Try cutting back on the carbohydrates and see what happens. If it doesn't work, try induction for two weeks.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 10:55

BF:

Thanks Liz. I think I might do what you're doing and if the scale doesn't move south I'll start induction. I didn't seem to have much of a problem with induction but of course when we do it for the 1st. time we're really eager beavers aren't we?

You know how they say that induction is harder and doesn't work as easy each additional time you do it? Would that apply if it has been a year or so since one did induction? Hmmmm ... just wondering?

The thing I enjoyed most about this forum is how eager we all are to jump in and help someone. I remember posting great recipes and advice to newbies and got such a kick out of helping someone in their journey.

Thanks for your help.

Wow ... great stats Liz. You're a half a person. I'm impressed .. !
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 12:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello again!

I think you'll find that no matter which plan you choose, there's number crunching in the beginning, and eventually, you get into a routine and memorize most of it. I'm with Liz - I've learned which foods fall into which category: "as much as you want," "some," and "once every now and then, but don't overdo it."

PPLP = Protein Power Lifeplan. Sorry, I forget that I'm posting in the newbie section sometimes. It really is a good book.

I'm also with Liz on the induction issue. If you think you'd like the psychological boost, go for it. But if you're already sick of number crunching and just want something easier, go back to OWL.

Oh, by the way - my parents love Wasaga Beach. They live north of Barrie and hit Wasage Beach a lot in summer.

Best o' luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default Re: I'm Back, Still Kinda A Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by SnowbirdNJ
I tried to log on but couldn't so I'm back as a Newbie.

Hi Norma, welcome back

I'll send you the logon info, so you can login to your first account.

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 14:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Norma,

Hugs and smooches Sorry you've been so sick, but glad you're feeling better and ready to get back at it.

Welcome back

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 14:24

BF:

Hi Wa'il, Hi Doreen .... I missed you guys.

Hey, thank you for the welcome (back). It's nice to be back. We moved to an adult community the end of June (sorta a retirement thing) and we no sooner got settled in when my health went bonkers. The long & short of it is:

I lost over 20 lbs. when ill and I don't want to gain it all back so I'm back with the family now. LC family that is.

Wa'il I just went to your bread recipe and printed it out. boy did I ever miss that bread, much better by far than the crap I've been eating lately .... (yucky store bought bread ... !).

Hugs,
Norma June
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 14:54

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default hi

Where do you find that bread recipe? I couldn't seem to find it? Thanks in advance for any help!!

#13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 15:32

BF:

edie, here is the URL:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes.html

Click on the Bread/Pasta and then see which one you want to make. I like Shepherd's Loaf the best. A tad more work and ingredients but by far the best of the bunch.

Good luck!

Last edited by SnowbirdNJ : Sun, Jan-12-03 at 15:33.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:35

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Re: Re: I'm Back, Still Kinda A Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
Hi Norma, welcome back

I'll send you the logon info, so you can login to your first account.

Wa'il

Thanks Wa'il, I went to my old hotmail account (still active but not in use much because I use a MSN browser and the Favorites bar on the top was not working). I had to open another hotmail account.

Changes have been made to my old account to reflect my new e-mail addy. I am writing this from my old (hotmail/MSN browser) account so I hope when I log in under my new one that everything works okay. Confused ???

Thanks a bunch.
Norma June
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 18:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Thumbs up

heya,

Looks like you logged-in under the previous name just fine If you want to find and blow the dust off yer old journal, just click on the little icon at the bottom of your Norma June post.

We've grown mighty huge since your last visit, but everyone is still just as friendly Hope you have lots o' lowcarbing success.

Doreen