Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 14:51

Plan: Low-glycemic,index
Stats: 345/310/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Question Long time low-carber but gaining for no reason,first time with Atkins

Hi all. I started on Sugarbusters last May but soon found i couldn't tolerate alot of the allowed foods cause i'm hypoglycemic.
Pretty quickly I lost 65lbs then suddenly I began gaining for no reason. I have tried everything,, but Atkins. I read the whole book last night and bought some keto-sticks today.
According to the Atkins book i'm considered a "3"
I'm beginning to believe i'll never lose again. Thats what my endocrinologist told me several years ago,I was thrilled when I lost so easy on SB.
I never get hungry til my blood sugar levels drop so thats not a problem. I haven't been hypo for along time now.
I hope this woe will help me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 15:17

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Welcome Casey.
I would suggest starting a journal and posting your meals. You may not be eating enough ( the general rule is 10-12 calories for each pound you currently weigh), or perhaps you are eating something with hidden carbs. You will also find it to be a great motivational tool.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 17:14

BF:
Question Gaining

Thanks for the response Atriana. You're right cause I do go into starvation mode easy. Today is day 1 on Atkins,tested trace for Ketones. I thought it was supposed to take a couple days..
Most days I have to force myself to eat.Lucklily I love eggs and will eat them anytime.
I also have been drinking a high protien shake for the past week.
It has 0 sugar and 0 carbs. I really really need alot of protien in my diet or I don't have any energy.

A few months ago I began to eat exactly what I ate during my best loss and gained. I'm at my witts end here.

I do have several health problems,white spots on my brain,restless leg syndrome,neuropathy in my feet.
My neurologist started me on Elavil for the feet,terrible burning in my feet and I have to take glucosomine chondrointin and celebrex for my arthritis. The meds are the only thing I can think of, yet I know I can't go w/o them.
I'll start posting my meals so that maybe it's clear to someone.

Thanks
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 21:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Casey....

Sorry to hear about your tribulations.... I imagine as long as you review your plans with your Dr. you should be able to pick one program that works for you. I have never heard of anyone not being able to lose weight. I know it can come off s l o w l y....

I do have a question for you however... how did you get the host of symptoms you have? The white spots, the neuropathy, the sugar intolerance. Do you have chemical sensitives? It sounds like you had a major immune system attack. Do you work with chemicals or in an industry that has chemicals etc? that might have caused the nervous system reaction?

Just a thought--- traditional MD's don't treat MCS (multiple chemical sensitivty) because they do not believe it exists. But there is a whole host of people who do.. I can give you information if you would like...

Until then..... take care.. press on!!!!!!

Ramona
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 21:55

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default What about thyroid?

Hi Casey,
I am no doctor, but I read that if you can't seem to lose the weight it may be a thyroid problem. Just an idea. It could be the meds. but it would be nice if you could figure it out, huh? I'm sure it's frustrating.

This is what I read in Dana Carpender's book, "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost Forty Pounds!"---if you have a slow thyroid, all efforts to lose weight will be in vain....one way to check is to take you temperature in your armpit before you get out of bed in the morning. If it is 97.8 you just might be hypothyroid, but if it is under 96.8, chances are high. Try that before you consider going to the doctor...

Like I said I am not a doctor, but that is what came to mind when I read your post...hope you figure it out... Victoria
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 10:20

BF:
Question Not losing

Thanks for your responses,

Occupation-nurse.I retired last year but my last 10 years I was exposed alot to cidex,a VERY dangerous solution. We used it to clean the endoscopy equipment. I did ask my neurologist about the Cidex being the culprit for the white areas,she seemed unimpressed,still I wonder.
Now the hypoglycemia's been around 20 years,both parents are diabetic.
My endocrinologist told me a few years ago after trying me on numerous food combo's that my metabolism was so bad that I had to multiply everything I eat by four. I was doing 800 calorie's,and very low fat. I started low-carb and lost to my amazement! The problem is I produce way too much insulin on a regular basis.
My lowest bsl was 38 after a piece of hard candy.I thought I was going to die. I finally have control over my low's but just no more losses,it's been a year.
I've had my thyroid tested several times,I still think it's the problem now.I'll try the temperature thing and see what I get.
Thanks
Thryroid/goiters run in my family big time.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-01, 15:56

BF:
Talking What I ate today,so far

coffee/cream.splenda 10 carbs/100 calories
corn beef hash 0 " /720 calorie's
eggs/butter 4 " / 480 "
protien shake 0 " / 150 "
----------------------------------------------------------
14 carbs/ 1450 calorie's
? not enough calorie's?
Ok,i'm not gonna test for ketones today,last nite I ate FF plain yogur with some crystal lite. WOW,I didn't know yogurt had so many carbs!
Maybe i'll wait and teast tomorrow,