Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 10:46
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question Beginner Pilates for really fat ladies with round tummies?

Hey guys, just was wondering if anyone knows of a Pilates DVD that would work for someone like me who is rather large, not very flexible, and is rather round in the belly area?

I know that Pilates are good core workouts, and we bought Denise Austin's Pilates for Every Body. We opened up the DVD, Popped it in the player, and watched it. It scared me!!! There is no way I can do these yet, especially as fast as she goes through them!! I really need the added help in the AB field, since that is where I am so big! If it weren't for my big old belly and VERY bad knees, I could probably do them, but I tried, and it was nearly impossible!!

Any Ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 14:40
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Hi, dreamn! I have a Pilates video titled, Beginning Mat with Ana Caban, that's produced by Gaia. On the video, one of the instructors demonstrates how to modify each exercise to make it easier. There's also a 20 minute introduction that explains the best form for each exercise.

When I started, I couldn't keep up with the tape either. Take it very slowly, and maybe learn one (modified) exercise at a time. It takes a few weeks, but you can learn them all over time, and you don't have to do all of the exercises in order to benefit from them. The other thing I could recommend is to buy a book so you can practice at your own pace without the time pressure of the tape--I have one called, Pilates Body in Motion that has diagrams for each exercise, and I know there are many others around and/or on Amazon.

Or, if you live near a Pilates studio, maybe invest in one private session where the instructor can show you how to modify the workout for your own needs. The certified trainers are fantastic at working with people's limitations--the studio I go to has people with leg, back, and neck problems, and some are significantly overweight or, in my case, rather elderly.

Please don't give up on Pilates--it's wonderful, and it really does work! Good luck to you. Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/173.5/150 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

There is a tape called pilates for dummies and it also has modified versions for people who can't do the regular ones due to back, leg, or some kind of pain. It is also very explanatory about the excerises and who to do them.

Good luck!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I have a tape called "CRUNCH - PICK YOUR SPOT" pilates by Ellen Barret. It's broken down into 3 10-minute segments. One for abs, one for thighs and one for the butt. She takes you thru it nice and easy, and has one of her people doing the exercises like someone brand new or unable to keep up would do them. I really like it, and the ab workout is great! You can do just a 10 minute segment, or do the whole 30 minutes....it's up to you. I've attached a link here, but not sure you'll be able to bring it up.....
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2...E&PROD_ID=90963