Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%
Default Smith Machine Squats

My gym took out the Squat Cage and replaced it with a Smith Machine (I guess for Safety purposes). Today for the first time ever, I tried to do squats on a Smith Machine. The movement was awkward and I couldn't figure out where to put my feet so that I could get the right feel. I swear that machine was fighting me back with a mind of its own. Any tricks I need to know about?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: prevention, now Atkins
Stats: 255/228/215
BF:
Progress: 68%

Smith machine squats are poor replacements for real squats. While it is slightly safer, the machine forces you to use it's mechanics and not your body's. My advice is to skip them and do lunges and/or some type of deadlift(dumbbell, lock-outs, etc...) and concentrate on good form. About the only constructive way to squat with a Smith machine is a hack squat.

Good Luck
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-07-02, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

I love squatting on Smith machines. Dorian Yates used Smith squats exclusively during his Mr. Olympia years, because it isolates the quads and hamstrings really well without all the balance issues involved in free squatting. Like anything else it takes some getting used to. You need to experiment with different feet and bar positions to find your comfort range, since everyone is different. I find I like to have the bar higher up on my shoulders than when free squatting. Squat with just the bar next time and try different things.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 08:05

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

I tried squatting with the Smith machine but it jsut didnt seem natural.

I do like using it for shoulder shrugs though.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 08:46

Default Thanks Everyone

Guess I'll try one more time without weight on the bar as suggested by Shark before I decide whether they are good for me or not. I think I may end up agreeing with thegronc and Big Dog but you never know until you try.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 09:11
Registered Member

BF:

Even as shark points out, they are fine(Smith machine squats) for using them as a hack squat(isolating the quad more), they just aren't a direct substitute for a real squat, but nothing is.....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 10:38

Default Real Squats Rule!

Unfortunately now that the squat cage is gone, I'm restricted to being able to squat with about a 40-pound bar (or the Smith Machine) as I can't pick up anything heavier than this. Also with the cage, I've been able to go to failure and then drop the bar onto the safety catch (don't know the official name for it).

I hate heavy lunges so I only use enough weight to be able to do 15 or even 20 reps. How do you think single leg step ups onto a high step stool (high enough so that the knee of the stepping leg is higher than the hip when the other foot is on the floor) compare to squats? I can lift enough to be heavy on one leg at a time.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 11:17
Registered Member

BF:

My personal opinion is for the vast majority of lifters(non-competitive bodybuilders), lunges and squats are all that is needed for thighs. Occasional use of other exercises for balancing muscle groups can be needed, but not in a normal routine.

The biggest reason is diversity. With the lunges, you can use dumbbells, barbells, step in angles, use a step, change distance, forwards, backwards, change speeds, etc. Squat is the king of basics.

Dumbbell squats are also an option, as is using a bench press as a rack(have to use lighter weights and watch the back).

Good Luck