Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 07:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default low protein vs. calorie restriction, mouse health

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...50528124202.htm

Quote:
Long life: Balancing protein and carb intake may work as well as calorie restriction

Cutting calories through dietary restriction has been shown to lower cholesterol, improve insulin sensitivity, and even prolong life in mammals. Now, new research shows that, at least in mice, low protein, high carbohydrate diets can provide benefits similar to those obtained with calorie restriction.

Cutting calories through dietary restriction has been shown to lower cholesterol, improve insulin sensitivity, and even prolong life in mammals. Now, new research publishing on May 28th in Cell Reports shows that, at least in mice, low protein, high carbohydrate diets can provide benefits similar to those obtained with calorie restriction.

"We've shown that when compared head-to-head, mice got the same benefits from a low protein, high carbohydrate diet as a 40% caloric restriction diet," says senior author Stephen Simpson, Academic Director of the University of Sydney's Charles Perkins Centre. "Except for the fanatical few, no one can maintain a 40% caloric reduction in the long term, and doing so can risk loss of bone mass, libido, and fertility."

The investigators compared three 8-week diets varying in protein-to-carbohydrate ratio under conditions where food was restricted or food was available at all times. Of the three, low protein, high carbohydrate (LPHC) diets offered when food was always available delivered similar benefits as calorie restriction in terms of insulin, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels, despite increased food intake.

Even though the mice on LPHC diets ate more when food was always available, their metabolism was higher than that of mice on the calorie-restricted diet, and they did not gain more weight. Calorie restriction did not provide any additional benefits for LPHC mice.

Additional research is needed to determine how LPHC diets affect long-term metabolic health and survival, as well as to what extent the type and quality of proteins and carbohydrates matter. "An important next step will be to determine exactly how specific amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, contribute to overall health span and lifespan," says lead author Samantha Solon-Biet, also of the Charles Perkins Centre.

If the study's results apply to humans, adjusting protein and carbohydrate intake could lead to healthier aging in a more realistic manner than drastically cutting calories. "It still holds true that reducing food intake and body weight improves metabolic health and reduces the risk of diseases like type 2 diabetes, obesity, and fatty liver disease," says Simpson. "However, according to these mouse data and emerging human research, it appears that including modest intakes of high-quality protein and plenty of healthy carbohydrates in the diet will be beneficial for health as we age."

Real leap from mice to humans. Bit of an assumption here about carbohydrate/protein ratio as well--no mention of the fat content of the diet, presumably that's kept constant. All that can really be said is that if you keep the fat and non-protein and digestible carbohydrate nutrients constant, swapping protein for carbohydrate in these animals has this effect.

When I've gone looking for calorie restriction studies, methionine restriction studies etc., I've found that usually the diet includes fair amounts of sugar. I went looking for this a few years back when two monkey studies were done. One resulted in extended lifespan (with some complications, there was an increase in mortality related to infection, this wasn't included as age-related mortality), and the other didn't, the study with the extended lifespan with restriction included sugar in the diet, the other did not.

If you want to improve the metabolic profile of an animal by reducing calories, it's good to load the deck by designing a diet that will cause a poor metabolic profile if eaten to appetite. This observation is made from another angle by defenders of fructose--people will say that sugar and high fructose are only dangerous if people are consuming too many calories. Why not eat a diet that you won't want to overconsume in the first place? And one where the damage will be minimal if you do overeat? Alcohol is also not damaging unless you overconsume it. But there are sure as heck lots of people who ought to avoid it entirely.

Although this is a pro-high carb article, I think it also illustrates the point--calorie restriction is beneficial because it limits a diet that's harmful when fed ad-lib.

Quote:
It still holds true that reducing food intake and body weight improves metabolic health

And this is not true. It's only true that with a certain nutrient profile, in a homogenous chow-style diet, reducing food intake does these things.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 14:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hmmmm. Were these mice metabolically impaired to begin with? Seems to me that weight management for obesity pertains entirely to people who have a tendency to grow obese, many of whom have a problem with insulin-related fat storage. This certainly isn't everyone.

Cutting calories is a fine weight-loss strategy for many. Problem is, it's very hard to sustain. Mice (and other experimental mammals) never have a chance to voice their opinions about these dietary strategies that they try out for us humans. Bet they'd complain plenty if they could!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-29-15, 14:40

BF:

Probably. When researchers do nutrient self-selection studies, letting animals choose their own macronutrient ratios, it never matches the standard crap-in-a-bag that's sometimes mistaken for a mouse's "natural" diet--that diet is very low in fat, most animals like fat.

There's so much to consider. This study says, raise the carbs, lower the protein. It depends where you start. Say you feed these animals 8 percent protein vs 15, and they do better. Blood glucose and insulin are lower. But take the same animals, cut carbs to 15 percent, protein 40, fill in with fat--and maybe that's an improvement again. There's also the question of omega 6. At 8 percent omega 6, a high-fat, high sugar diet is fattening and diabetes-promoting for mice. At 1 percent, it's not. Saturated fat is disease promoting, at least in the breeds of mice used in the studies, but only if the omega 6 pulls the trigger.

Dr. Seyfried talks about mice overeating ketogenic diets to the point of being hyperglycemic, I wonder how much omega 6 the diets contained? That diet was 5 percent protein, so it's possible the animals overate simply because that's what they had to do to meet their protein requirement, though.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 09:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Real leap from mice to humans. Bit of an assumption here about carbohydrate/protein ratio as well--no mention of the fat content of the diet, presumably that's kept constant. All that can really be said is that if you keep the fat and non-protein and digestible carbohydrate nutrients constant, swapping protein for carbohydrate in these animals has this effect.

When I've gone looking for calorie restriction studies, methionine restriction studies etc., I've found that usually the diet includes fair amounts of sugar. I went looking for this a few years back when two monkey studies were done. One resulted in extended lifespan (with some complications, there was an increase in mortality related to infection, this wasn't included as age-related mortality), and the other didn't, the study with the extended lifespan with restriction included sugar in the diet, the other did not.

If you want to improve the metabolic profile of an animal by reducing calories, it's good to load the deck by designing a diet that will cause a poor metabolic profile if eaten to appetite. This observation is made from another angle by defenders of fructose--people will say that sugar and high fructose are only dangerous if people are consuming too many calories. Why not eat a diet that you won't want to overconsume in the first place? And one where the damage will be minimal if you do overeat? Alcohol is also not damaging unless you overconsume it. But there are sure as heck lots of people who ought to avoid it entirely.

From the study:
Quote:
"We've shown that when compared head-to-head, mice got the same benefits from a low protein, high carbohydrate diet as a 40% caloric restriction diet," says senior author Stephen Simpson, Academic Director of the University of Sydney's Charles Perkins Centre. "Except for the fanatical few, no one can maintain a 40% caloric reduction in the long term, and doing so can risk loss of bone mass, libido, and fertility."

Regardless what I think about rodent studies, the common macro that keeps reappearing in other, similar studies is the question about the role protein plays. While protein is essential, I'm curious to learn more about optimizing my protein intake, as there have been some conclusions that IF is effective due to the restriction of protein during the fasting period. As IF purportedly results in longer life span, is it the protein restriction that is influencing this outcome? I'm wondering how much of a role carb or calorie restriction plays in this dynamic. Carbs seem to be always included in studies due to the major role they play in today's diet, but they are not an essential macro for people. And for those with metabolic syndrome/ insulin resistance, carbs tend to wreak metabolic havoc. We know, and it's mentioned in the study summary, that calorie restriction does not favor long-term adherence. So, regardless of the results of a LPHC study, what is the governing factor related to the outcome? This is the question that I'd like to see addressed.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 10:01

BF:

I sort of doubt that there's "an" optimal protein intake, it all depends. There's so much play between the different nutrients.

Campbell would probably point at Seyfried's mice and say that the reason they didn't get cancer wasn't the glucose necessarily so much as the protein restriction. There have been studies where exogenous ketones had a similar effect to the ketogenic diet on cancer, though.

I've seen at least one study where rodents were given diets with protein pretty high, where cancer was inhibited.

I'm not sure that calorie restriction doesn't just reverse the life-shortening effects of a poor diet eaten ad-libitum, though.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 10:21

BF:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...10614115037.htm

Quote:
Low-carbohydrate, high-protein diets may reduce both tumor growth rates and cancer risk

Eating a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet may reduce the risk of cancer and slow the growth of tumors already present, according to a study published in Cancer Research, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research.

The study was conducted in mice, but the scientists involved agree that the strong biological findings are definitive enough that an effect in humans can be considered.

"This shows that something as simple as a change in diet can have an impact on cancer risk," said lead researcher Gerald Krystal, Ph.D., a distinguished scientist at the British Columbia Cancer Research Centre.

Cancer Research editor-in-chief George Prendergast, Ph.D., CEO of the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, agreed. "Many cancer patients are interested in making changes in areas that they can control, and this study definitely lends credence to the idea that a change in diet can be beneficial," said Prendergast, who was not involved with the study.

Krystal and his colleagues implanted various strains of mice with human tumor cells or with mouse tumor cells and assigned them to one of two diets. The first diet, a typical Western diet, contained about 55 percent carbohydrate, 23 percent protein and 22 percent fat. The second, which is somewhat like a South Beach diet but higher in protein, contained 15 percent carbohydrate, 58 percent protein and 26 percent fat. They found that the tumor cells grew consistently slower on the second diet.

As well, mice genetically predisposed to breast cancer were put on these two diets and almost half of them on the Western diet developed breast cancer within their first year of life while none on the low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet did. Interestingly, only one on the Western diet reached a normal life span (approximately 2 years), with 70 percent of them dying from cancer while only 30 percent of those on the low-carbohydrate diet developed cancer and more than half these mice reached or exceeded their normal life span.

Krystal and colleagues also tested the effect of an mTOR inhibitor, which inhibits cell growth, and a COX-2 inhibitor, which reduces inflammation, on tumor development, and found these agents had an additive effect in the mice fed the low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet.

When asked to speculate on the biological mechanism, Krystal said that tumor cells, unlike normal cells, need significantly more glucose to grow and thrive. Restricting carbohydrate intake can significantly limit blood glucose and insulin, a hormone that has been shown in many independent studies to promote tumor growth in both humans and mice.

Furthermore, a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet has the potential to both boost the ability of the immune system to kill cancer cells and prevent obesity, which leads to chronic inflammation and cancer.

So one study says protein bad, another says good, if it's replacing carbohydrate--less glucose.

All that blather about protein foods increasing insulin as much as or worse than carbohydrate, after the insulin index study was done. It's something to consider, but I've never seen a study where carbs were replaced gram for gram with protein and insulin went up. Maybe it would happen, short term, with fructose.

It's possible protein and carbohydrate are both rate-limiting--as long as one or the other is brought low enough, certain cancers could be inhibited.

There are studies where branched chain amino acids are added to high fat chow, and the animals develop fattier livers and higher blood glucose. Amino acids are involved in various ways in recycycling of carbon from the breakdown of glucose back into glucose again, so it's possible that even at an increased carbohydrate intake, if protein intake is below a certain threshhold and the stars are all in alignment, certain aspects of carbohydrate metabolism are still decreased, providing protection from cancer. The more that glycolysis results in glucose carbon being ultimately disposed of through mitochondrial respiration, the less glucose will be available for the fermentative metabolism that feeds some cancer.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 10:45

BF:

http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/c...71/13/4484.full

Quote:
In terms of macronutrient composition, even though high protein has been shown to promote satiety (19)—thus reducing obesity, BG, and insulin levels—and enhance both antitumor immunity, through amino acid supplementation, and life span (15, 16, 51), we were concerned, based on the literature (52–54), that high protein levels might cause kidney damage. More recent data, however, suggest that this may only occur in individuals with existing chronic kidney disease (52, 55) and that in normal people, the increase in glomerular filtration rate and kidney cellularity that occur with long-term high protein consumption may be a normal response (52). Consistent with this, we found that while the 5 long-lived NOP mice on our 15% CHO diet had larger than normal kidneys (data not shown), only 1 had elevated urinary albumin. Moreover, because they lived beyond the normal life span of C57BL/6 mice on a Western diet, we can infer that the overall health of the mice was not adversely affected.

Beyond the cancer thing--this study throws into question the idea that lower protein necessarily means longer life span as well.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 11:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I sort of doubt that there's "an" optimal protein intake, it all depends. There's so much play between the different nutrients.

Campbell would probably point at Seyfried's mice and say that the reason they didn't get cancer wasn't the glucose necessarily so much as the protein restriction. There have been studies where exogenous ketones had a similar effect to the ketogenic diet on cancer, though.

I've seen at least one study where rodents were given diets with protein pretty high, where cancer was inhibited.

I'm not sure that calorie restriction doesn't just reverse the life-shortening effects of a poor diet eaten ad-libitum, though.

Quote:
Beyond the cancer thing--this study throws into question the idea that lower protein necessarily means longer life span as well.

That's one of my points, that there are variables depending on many things including the relative amounts of macronutrients, the condition of the test subjects, and the quality of the diet. It goes to reason that if periods of fasting rather than calorie reduction favors a longer lifespan, it may also trump diet quality in this case. So, I'm wondering if fasting in healthy individuals, meaning the absence of protein for a period of time, helps regardless of protein quantity consumed during eating periods. Certainly, the cancer conclusions make sense in this case, since severely limiting carbohydrates as a glucose source inhibits the cellular fermentation process on which cancer depends. I am more curious whether there is a way to consume protein to create the optimal metabolic condition in individuals without cancer, if that makes sense. Is protein restriction during a fast a key in this or just one of the variables that needs to be considered in relative context with the others?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 09:29

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:

I don't doubt it. The A-TO-Z study shows protein intake gradually went up and down across diets to match all diets in the end at around 20% total calories. All species are adapted to their own diet, and each of those diets contain a corresponding fixed protein ratio. Protein intake may be different across species, but not across individuals within the same species, unless manipulated by humans in experiments or by nature in starvation, but not by nature in abundance. If we assume the measures of health are accurate for these mice, then whatever protein intake produces the best measures of health must be optimal for this species. Rather, whatever protein intake we find to be best for these mice must reflect protein intake when they eat a diet of genuine food. Conversely, a diet of genuine food contains X amount of protein, and this in turn should determine the optimal protein intake for any diet for this species, genuine food or not.

Something very pertinent about that constant 20% protein intake across diets in the A-TO-Z study. It means the very idea of testing various protein intakes makes no sense. Diets didn't do better or worse because of protein, but because of the other two macros. Manipulating protein intake is like trying to starve or overfeed, then compensate, not to find out what happens when starving or overfeeding, but when compensating for either. Thus, in this mouse experiment, the extra carbs compensate for the lower protein. Compensation in this case implies sub-optimal. I expect extra fat instead of extra carbs will compensate too, and likely produce even better results. After all, that's exactly what happens in humans.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 09:56

BF:

Quote:
Amino acids are involved in various ways in recycycling of carbon from the breakdown of glucose back into glucose again, so it's possible that even at an increased carbohydrate intake, if protein intake is below a certain threshhold and the stars are all in alignment, certain aspects of carbohydrate metabolism are still decreased, providing protection from cancer.

OK, but with zero protein, tagged glucose lights up tumors, indicating increased glucose metabolism in these tumors. Maybe protein would protect here, not in a lower protein kinda way, but in a more protein kinda way, at least more than zero. Is it because of the protein itself, some amino acid doing stuff somewhere? Doubt it. Protein doesn't protect against cancer specifically, but it does protect (corrected typo) against death, if we consider Campbell's experiment with mice/casein/aflatoxin. Incidentally, this also tells us more protein is better than less protein, regardless of health status. Anyway, I think it's got something to do with the difference in insulin response between carbs and protein. The more protein the less carbs, the lower the insulin response. Tumors don't grow just cuz we feed them glucose, they grow cuz of insulin. With zero insulin, tumors don't grow at all. Less insulin is better than more insulin. If that's how it all works, why go with carbs+protein in the first place when we can just cut out all the carbs and go with fat+protein instead?

Last edited by M Levac : Mon, Jun-08-15 at 12:33.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 12:29

BF:

Quote:
OK, but with zero protein, tagged glucose lights up tumors, indicating increased glucose metabolism in these tumors.

But then you have to ask, what is the increase in glucose metabolism driving, in the tumour cell? Maybe an increase in protein synthesis, supporting cell growth?

And, before going into an aside--we're not really talking restricted protein there. There's a difference between zero protein as in "I've just fasted overnight, and then taken some tagged glucose," and the various changes in gene expression, up and down regulation of protein breakdown and synthesis enzymes, competition from healthy tissue for amino acids, etc. that would occur with an ongoing relative scarcity of dietary protein. The question there is--take two subjects, one at this ongoing level of protein intake, one with that ongoing level of protein intake--what will this difference in habitual intake do to the uptake of glucose by the cancer cells (indeed if it has an effect at all), what will it do to ongoing glucose metabolism?

At any rate, a high protein diet can increase tumour growth, decrease it, and everywhere inbetween, depending on the conditions going in. We might be starting to know what those conditions are for mice and rats, but not for humans.

Bit of a crap shoot. And you're right, it's not worth risking possible dangers of protein deficiency, unless you know for sure that it has a high probability of fighting the cancer.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 12:47

BF:

I have an idea about optimal protein intake. Let's say we don't know how much protein is optimal. The A-TO-Z study says all diets matched protein intake by the end at 20% total calories. We could argue that's indication of optimal intake by some internal demand for it or some such. But then we have to explain this internal mechanism, it gets complicated real quick. Instead, we call this protein intake sub-optimal, cuz we don't know, and there's many more numbers which are just as good and could be seen as optimal too. So now we call the other two macros compensators for this sub-optimal protein intake. We fool around with them up and down, keep total kcals and protein constant, then find out which of the other two macros compensates best for this sub-optimal protein intake. In that mouse study, they didn't do that, they only fooled around with protein and carbs. It could not tell us the complete picture about any macro.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 13:00

BF:

True. If there were only two macros, it would be a little easier. Throw in fat, and there's all sorts of interactions that might be going on.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 13:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
I have an idea about optimal protein intake. Let's say we don't know how much protein is optimal. The A-TO-Z study says all diets matched protein intake by the end at 20% total calories. We could argue that's indication of optimal intake by some internal demand for it or some such. But then we have to explain this internal mechanism, it gets complicated real quick. Instead, we call this protein intake sub-optimal, cuz we don't know, and there's many more numbers which are just as good and could be seen as optimal too. So now we call the other two macros compensators for this sub-optimal protein intake. We fool around with them up and down, keep total kcals and protein constant, then find out which of the other two macros compensates best for this sub-optimal protein intake. In that mouse study, they didn't do that, they only fooled around with protein and carbs. It could not tell us the complete picture about any macro.

I was looking at a study that sort of approaches the idea of finding the optimum ratios in mice yesterday. Peter at Hyperlipid posted on it a few years back.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...Fshowall%3Dtrue

Quote:
The Ratio of Macronutrients, Not Caloric Intake, Dictates Cardiometabolic Health, Aging, and Longevity in Ad Libitum-Fed Mice

Highlights
•Food intake is regulated primarily by dietary protein and carbohydrate
•Low-protein, high-carbohydrate diets are associated with the longest lifespans
•Energy reduction from high-protein diets or dietary dilution does not extend life
•Diet influences hepatic mTOR via branched-chain amino acids and glucose
Summary
The fundamental questions of what represents a macronutritionally balanced diet and how this maintains health and longevity remain unanswered. Here, the Geometric Framework, a state-space nutritional modeling method, was used to measure interactive effects of dietary energy, protein, fat, and carbohydrate on food intake, cardiometabolic phenotype, and longevity in mice fed one of 25 diets ad libitum. Food intake was regulated primarily by protein and carbohydrate content. Longevity and health were optimized when protein was replaced with carbohydrate to limit compensatory feeding for protein and suppress protein intake. These consequences are associated with hepatic mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) activation and mitochondrial function and, in turn, related to circulating branched-chain amino acids and glucose. Calorie restriction achieved by high-protein diets or dietary dilution had no beneficial effects on lifespan. The results suggest that longevity can be extended in ad libitum-fed animals by manipulating the ratio of macronutrients to inhibit mTOR activation.

This one's kind of involved. 25 diets fed, different ratios of protein, fat and carbohydrate.

Quote:
Longevity and health were optimized when protein was replaced with carbohydrate to limit compensatory feeding for protein and suppress protein intake.

And this. Suppose you give a rodent a high-fat diet--but don't want it to overeat due to protein leverage. So, you raise the protein level of the diet--by definition, you're decreasing the carbohydrate content. If protein and carbohydrate are separately limiting factors for food consumption in these animals--that is, if protein is above a certain level, or carbohydrate is above a certain level--and in the original diet, carbohydrate rather than protein was what was limiting consumption (protein was below the level that it would have triggered satiety--the animal might then eat more, until one of the appetite controlling nutrients finally satisfied.

The idea that fat is neutral to satiety is of course hogwash. Something about how the animals are exposed to the fat--the pelleted rat chow form--or the type of fat, maybe linoleic acid being driven up beyond a certain level, has to be at work. Perhaps the animals were weaned on to a low fat chow, and simply never learned during development to be satiated by fat. I mean learned here in both a literal, neural sense and in a more figurative metabolic systems sense.

Human lifespan is nowhere near so malleable as that of a mouse. A mouse can slow its metabolism down to ten percent... they just have more metabolic flexibility than we do.

Supplement S2 is worth checking out. The highest median lifespan is in the group of mice that ate the most protein. (Strike that, make that the second highest protein). Also the fifth highest maximum lifespan. Sure, a mouse eating some of the diets with a lower protein to carbohydrate might have lived longer--but it's a lottery ticket. You have to ask yourself--do I feel lucky? Most mice would have lived

The second longest living mouse was in the 75 percent fat group. Again, it was a lottery ticket. Eventually, as mice die off one by one, you end up with the George Burns type mice, telling the others that the secret to their longevity is that when they started, smoking was good for you.

The kicker here for me is the fiber. Calorie density of the diets was altered by adding insoluble fiber. Pretty much without exception, the lowest maximum and median lifespans were in the animals fed the most fiber.

Which of course suggests that whether a particular blend of protein, carbohydrate and fat is deadly or helpful to a mouse depends on something as silly as fiber. We have to assume then that less silly things, like choline, various vitamins, minerals, etc. affect it as well.

This is the problem with chow. It's a very specific food stuff. Maybe you'd get better information feeding animals a more varied diet--but at a specific macronutrient ratio, all the same. Real food even.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 20:21

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Let's invent an ideal Human Chow. We could call it, um, I know! Soylent Green! Yeah. Catchy.