Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 08:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/145/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default new here

hi everyone! I am new to this forum. Started low-carb on 12/26. I find low carb eating much more enjoyable and effective for me, than low fat. I even tried a vegetarian diet for awhile. Definitely not for me.

I have found the forum quite helpful, especially the recipes.
I am always collecting recipes, so I REALLY enjoy that.
I am 43 years old with two sons, 12 and 14. My husband of 22 years is in the United States AF. We are currently in Wyoming, but in July we are relocating to Omaha NE. I am looking forward to being closer to sea level and closer to home, as I was born and raised in Indianapolis.

good luck everyone!
lauri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 08:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/165/135
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi lauri, Just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the group. It is a great place to make new friends no matter where you are and they give great advise and encouragement.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 08:38

BF:

thanks! I noticed your nickname, my maiden name is Davis LOL
So I knew you'd be nice ;-).
lauri
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 08:41
Registered Member

BF:

It is a great name isn't it? I have put you on my buddy list hope you dont mind.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 13:58

Plan: atkins (for induction) "Protien power" at present
Stats: 202/189/130
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Lauri, ::smile::

I'm new here too..And also born and raised in Indy lol ..Small world eh?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 06:41

BF:

hi Ivy! Yes it IS a small world! Are you still there? We try to return every year and go camping down in Brown County. It's easy to low-carb while camping LOL Just throw the meat on the grill and wait for it to cook I DO need to find a low carb s'more though LOL!!! Boy would I be in heaven then!

Hi Kdavis! I don't mind being on your buddy list.

MY regular "diet buddy" is my best friend that I still have since 9th grade. She is still in Indy but we e-mail every single day about our menus and weight and ketosis. It's fun and makes it easier.

You ladies have a nice day!
lauri
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 06:44

BF:

Oh, speaking of small, it looks like all three of us our short. I appear to be the shortest LOL!!!
lauri
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 07:08
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning,

This is day ten for me and I feel great. Lauri, I have no close Diet buddies I moved to what most people think of as the end of the world 18 years ago and no one here likes outsiders. So I have had to be my own diet buddy. You are very lucky hang in there.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 07:29

BF:

Hey, hey, hey, I am soooo Not short!..
I am... I am...... ok ok, I'm short lol

I was looking at both your weight loses... Great job!... Wish mine would come off faster... I just know I'm going to have to give up those darn cream cheese cupcakes I discovered lol
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 07:46
Registered Member

BF:

Ivy, the cream cheese cupcakes could be the problem are they made with white flour? LOL I am short too but I have desided that size dont matter it's the whop that it carries.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 08:12

BF:

good morning! You all are early birds like me! Well, I am on MST, but still...

k, sorry about the diet buddy thing! I'll help ya! Where is your town at exactly? I used to live all the way up in Minot ND, I thought for sure that was the end of the earth!

ivy, cream cheese cupcakes? Are they low carb? lol

ivy, I still follow the Pacers and the Colts LOL
Where did you go to high school? I attended Lawrence North, class of 1978 yeah!! ;-) I hope my class is having a reunion this year. I have never gone, but think this year would be worth it.

have a great day!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 08:17
Registered Member

BF:

Indy thanks for being by Buddy... It sure help I live in a small Town (Encinal Texas) pop is 600 and it is 38 miles north of the Mexico border (Near Laredo Texas).
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 10:51

BF:

Hi Indy, KDavis,..........You know, my neighbor is doing atkins... And she makes full blown cheese cakes... I'm too early in the game to be eating those! lol But, this recipe (on a board) is mostly eggs and cream cheese...I can have them around without loosing control lol...I figure if you had one a day or every other day (your basically watching your splenda intake..

Being so new, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post this recipe here or not...So If they move the post to another place.....You guys follow it! lol

Cream Cheese Cupcakes

3- 8oz. pkgs of cream cheese (softened)
1 cup of splenda (I have been able to lower this amount some)
5-eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Using hand mixer...beat together cream cheese and one egg at a time.... Slowly add the Splenda and vanilla. (batter will be thin) Pour into paper cupcake liners about an 1/8 inch from the top. (makes approx.18 cupcakes) Bake in a 300 degree oven for 30-35 mins (until large cracks appear on the top) Remove from oven and cool for 5 mins...Sample one...Then quickly freeze the rest! lol (they do freeze like a dream) ...As they cool you will notice that they sink in the middle a bit- this is normal)

There is a sour cream topping that goes on them...But I find they are just as good without it and who needs the extra stuff?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 06:56

BF:

oh mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! They sound wonderful!
Are they good frozen? LOL Once when I was doing low-fat my Girl Scout Thin Mints arrived and I froze them so I wouldn't eat them. Then I got PMS and found out they taste even BETTER that way LOL!!!

So what else do you all eat? I usually have bacon and eggs for breakfast and I take my lunch to work. Either tuna salad or maybe some hot wings, or whatever leftover meat I have. Supper is usually some recipe off of one of the low carb web sites.
My favorite snack are the Cinnamon Pork Rinds. The recipe is floating around here somewhere. I think Lowcarbluxury.com
but I'm not sure. I'll try and dig it out.
Sometimes for breakfast I have the mock danish which you can find in Recipe forum under Breakfast. Now THAT is good!
have a good day!
lauri
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-03, 14:24

Stats: 207.5/198.5/155
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Lauri,

I'm from Indy also. Did you know that Indy is one of the ten fattest cities in the United States! I thought Wisconsin was! Boy, what a relief that was! Last time I was in Indy, everyone looked pretty skinny to me. Went to my 25th high school reunion last year in Indy, and most of the people looked the same.

I know if I still lived in Indy, I wouldn't have a weight problem, as the last time I lived there, I was in the best shape ever!

Good luck on the Atkins! I'm on day 21, and have 49 more pounds to go!