Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 06:13

Plan: lowcarb
Stats: 183.5/177/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 28%

Good to know there are other popcorn addicts out there like myself!!! I love popcorn...that was my cheat food when I did low carb before and I would still lose. Movie popcorn is the best, isn't it. My problem is excepting the small bag instead of pigging out on the large bag!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 456/344/220 Male 6ft
BF:Yea, I have lots!
Progress: 47%

One of you above said not to use a hot air popper but to pop it in oil. I know fat is our friend but does hot air poping it change carb count or something? Cause I've been doing it that way and then adding the melted butter or non-hydronated margerine which contain no trans fats. Dont know if have the patience to stand over a stove and pop it, I like the plug it in and walk away feature of a popper.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 08:52

Plan: Atkins, sometimes...
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Oh boy do I know what you mean. I have become so spoiled with the micro stuff, found Act II kettle corn that has the sweet and salty taste with exactly the same carb count as the ultra butter. The olive oil and parmesan sounds awfully yummy though...
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 11:36

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am not an expert on the difference between air popped and olive oil popped except the olive oil does add the most delicious flavor to it! I have always been the biggest fan of air poppers until mine died! I guess what I am going to do this evening is research the popcorn issue and post it here so we know whether their is a transfat issue with it or is that just the microwave stuff? And I have been wanting to know what on earth is bad about corn, popcorn whether it is microwave, oil, or air popped! Unless, of course, someone already has that kind of data????? If so please share! Now, I know I shouldn't be talking for anyone, but, KiwiGal and I have had extensive talks about popcorn and we both agree that it hasn't interferred in any way with our weightloss! Look what I have lost, 123 pounds, and I have ALWAYS eaten popcorn! Last night I got really stressed out trying to get some stuff posted on eBay (I am a newbie to it) and so after I finally got 11 items up I was really upset and wanted FOOD! Hey, it happens! So, of all the evils lurking in my kitchen what would folks suggest when I have reached the point to where I just have to have something? Anything!? I could bake something really fattening and make myself sick, or I can pop a fast bowl of popcorn, curl on the couch, and indulge myself and calm the heck down! Actually, I find the fiber benefitial if you all know what I mean! I do not have it every night but confess to a couple of bowls a week! Now, isn't that better than baking a cake (one of my favorites is Strawberry Jam Cake from scratch)!? Or a box of donuts from Krispy Creme?????? Or I could run to Taco Bell and order a bunch of stuff! Now why do I feel the need to defend popcorn? I am curious about the trans fat issue and realize I should understand all that stuff more than it is just bad for me. Thanks for raising the issue of popcorn! This is good and now I am fired up and ready to dig in and learn all I can about it! They say we should know our enemy...but is popcorn really an enemy? I would have to say yes about the microwave stuff and say run away as fast as you can from the popcorn from the movie houses! Those are loaded with trans fats! I learned that last night before I went to bed! Well, I had better get moving or I will be late for lunch with my Mom and Aunt M. My Aunt S is just leaving the emergency room with a touch of pnuemonia! I sure cannot spell! Anyhow, have to run but am eager to see what you all know about trans fats versus popcorn!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 19:47

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Moonwalker

Are you mistaken in your statement??

Theres no trans fats in corn kernels!!..Its just dried corn isn't it?

It would only be in the preparation of it..that may cause a problem..as scruffy said.. the microwave or movie house popcorn
Moonwalker..to quote from your homepage:

Trans fats are created when a normal healthy vegetable oil is put through a process called partial hydrogenation. The cells are bombarded with hydrogen ions, resulting in a more solid structure. The end result is a vegetable oil that lasts much much longer than it would naturally.
Food manufactures use this ingredient in their products to give the products an extremely long shelf life.

Now this is not what we do at home when we choose to either air pop,olive oil pop or butter pop our corn!!! We're just not that clever!!

As both MissScruff and I have found... WE have no problems with eating popcorn occasionally, it does not cause binging or anything detrimental..including stalling of weight loss!!
But hey...each to their own..this way of life has to be tailor-made to fit us as individuals..if its not your thing...keep away from it!
The sugar free choccy bars, have lots of folk ending up craving for other 'carbage'
Popcorn is the lesser of the two evils in my opinion..be it ever so humble..fits my lifestyle..so hey..its staying!! No apologies on that one!!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 20:53

BF:

You know, KiwiGal, I hadn't had time to research the transfat issue and am so glad that you were able to find the info for me! And, it was right here on this forum! How cool is it that so much that we need to know about this way of eating is right here! I am impressed! I know when I first asked about popcorn on this forum I was really...well to put it nicely...attacked on the subject. Maybe I misunderstood and I do know that folks here just love to help, but I feel popcorn is one of the most misunderstood carbs. Yes, it is hard to process, yes it is high in carbs, but the fiber! I think as long as it is eaten in as close to a pure state as possible then it really isn't bad to enjoy on occassion. Now I would have to agree the movie popped corn and microwave corn are off limits! And the low carb candies and such....I shudder at the thought of having those! I have heard too many nightmare stories of what they do! Really, all I can say about the whole thing is
I am a popcorn addict and proud of it!

And, as I said before, I have lost 123 pounds and eaten popcorn weekly! Everyone's bodies do things differently and so it really is an individual choice to eat it or to not eat it! But, I will eat it as pure as I can! I do miss hot air popped corn but have fallen in love with popping it in olive oil! Next time I go to the movies I am going to have to sneak my popcorn in! The way I look at it is if they don't supply it to me then I'll have to supply my own.

I really hope I haven't come across on this as being ugly because someone has a different opinion other than mine. I just feel strongly about popcorn! Well that and coffee! I still drink at least 3-4 cups a day except with Splenda and that hasn't hurt me either! I still want to learn all I can about popcorn so I can defend it's honor! Seriously. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 21:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Given the choice between a low-carb chocolate bar and a medium-sized bowl of buttered popcorn....give me the popcorn! I pretty much have to count sugar alcohols anyway, since they cause me grief, and look at the list of "poly-hexi-blahblah-exidose, nonhydrogenated whatchmacallit" and every other weird name under the sun... then look at the popcorn. "Corn, butter, salt." Tough choice.

That being said, I can't really enjoy it that often, but it IS good.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 21:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 456/344/220 Male 6ft
BF:Yea, I have lots!
Progress: 47%

guess whos having a bowl of popcorn tonight?! emmmm yummy lol - 111 lbs gone in eight months eating hot air poped corn weekly throughout.....
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 22:12

BF:

You two are exactly right! I would rather eat something that lists it ingredients in as few pronounceable words as possible that get the so called low carb candies and bars that have long lists of words that I don't even know how to pronounce and whose print is so tiny I give up after the first two lines! You know, I bet they count on folks just tossing it in the buggy without reading too far into the crud that is going into their bodies! And look at us! Several hundred pounds lost and all while we are eating popcorn drizzled in butter and how many of us use olive oil?! How great is that and what does that say for popcorn!

Question about olive oil! Am I the only one who is having a hard time washing the stuff out of the pots!!!!! And, a bowl sure sounds good right now even though I had one last night!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 22:23
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

The transfats are in micro and possibly movie popcorn but if your popping it yourself I wouldn't worry. Popcorn is the one thing I refuse to give up for my WOE. But I've only had it 4 times since starting. I think the fact that I don't deny myself completely helps a lot. It doesn't tempt me half as much as it used to.

Gabrielle
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 22:26

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re; Olive oil pots!

We use hot,soapy water!!!!
[someone has to give you a hard time!...and I've decided to apply for the job!]
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 22:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal
We use hot,soapy water!!!!
[someone has to give you a hard time!...and I've decided to apply for the job!]

I do that! And it just is being so stubborn! But, at least by the time I have scrubbed it out my hands are very soft! Hey, another benefit of popcorn! Softer hands!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-04, 23:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleG
The transfats are in micro and possibly movie popcorn but if your popping it yourself I wouldn't worry. Popcorn is the one thing I refuse to give up for my WOE. But I've only had it 4 times since starting. I think the fact that I don't deny myself completely helps a lot. It doesn't tempt me half as much as it used to.

Gabrielle

Thanks! I feel better already! I know I was clear on how I eat it and was afraid I had missed important info! I usually eat popcorn 2 nights a week and on rare occassion I will have 3! It seems to be what I need to satisfy my taste buds and makes eating right easier for me! Does that make sense?????
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 23:34
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I'm a Popcorn addict!!

I have a thing for binging on Kettle Popcorn. Probably not good because of trans fats and sugar and carbs. But the trans fats are the least of my worries.

I ate 3 bags of it today!!!!! How many cals and carbs are in 3 bags?!?!?!? yikes!!!!!!!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Dec-05-04, 01:21

BF:

I am not sure, but it couldn't be good. Have you tried to pop it in olive oil???? It really is yummy. Maybe KiwiGal knows the amount of carbs.