Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 08:40

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power - November 2

Welcome! Below is a bit of information about Protein Power for those who are unfamiliar with it. We welcome people with questions about the WOE or who are considering the WOE, but not sure, to join in our discussion on this thread.

The Protein Power plan was devised by the husband-and-wife team of Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Mary Dan Eades. They advocate an adequate protein/moderate fat/lower carb regimen in which you first determine your minimum protein requirement. Each day, you strive to eat at least this much protein, and between 30 and 55 grams of ECC (carbs minus fiber) to start. You spread your protein and carbs fairly equally throughout the day to avoid insulin spikes.

Though ketosis is not necessary for weight loss, neither is it discouraged. Some people enjoy the loss of appetite that ketosis brings. Others avoid ketosis and the accompanying loss of appetite because they find they don't get in the required amount of protein, and weight loss slows. You can lose weight without turning those stupid sticks a color.

For more information on Protein Power, including how it compares to other plans, please refer to the following:Our daily inspiration:

"Today I will make good choices. I will eat only those foods that are healthy for me. I will do something physical, even if it's only to walk around the block or pick up a room or do the laundry. I will concern myself only with today. I can't do anything about yesterday, and tomorrow is too far away. I can and will influence today. Today I will give as much support, encouragement, and love to myself as I do to others."

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Feb-22-04 at 14:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:58
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 167/160/150 Female 68 inches
BF:29%/24%/18%
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Thank you for the inspiration

Thank you for the inspirational quote!!! I am also from Rural Maine...!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%

I decided to try Protein Pwer because I was getting nowhere on Atkins, I bought the PP book (thank God it was second-hand and very cheap). I started reading last night and continued today. And I'm utterly lost.

It's very badly written for one thing (and I'm an English teacher so I can make sense of most things). The chapter on blood-test results uses different names for the various tests than my printouts from the tests use, so I don't know what some of them are and whether I've had them. Never mind. Then they get to Hemaglobin A1C and I'm totally at sea in the 2nd paragraph; I figure it's irrelevant anyway as I've no idea what the average value for whatever that the lab my physician uses would be. Never mind that, skip that, too.

Next, measure my waist. My waist, they say, is on the level of my navel. Mine has never been on the level of my navel even when I weighed 95 pounds, but I do it anyway. Then I measure my hips and do the calculations. OK. I'm an apple.

On to the next step--and suddenly we're not talking about waists and hips, we're talking about hips and abdomens. What on earth is going on? I know enough anatomy to know that in any animal the waist is the narrow part between the thorax and the abdomen. The hip is part of the bone-structure of the abdomen as the chest is part of the bone structure of the thorax. But now we've lost the waist altogether and somehow the "abdomen" which we don't have measurements for, has come into play. Never mind, pass over this, too. Onward and upward.

OOPS. That's a problem, because it turns out that I need all these numbers and calculations in order to know how much protein I should be eating, and as this seems to be the whole point of the diet and the book, not knowing makes it impossible to do.
Can someone enlighten me? Is there an easier way to determine what I need to know in order to know how much protein I need? Or does it really matterand I should just eat as much as I want? (In which case I'd be back to Atkins.)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 16:59

BF:

Ursula, I'm sorry you had such a hard time with the book. Most people believe it's written in such a way as to make complex topics accessible to the lay person. I've been in technical writing and editing (financial, software, and collegiate texts) for more than 20 years and I thought it was well written and very enlightening, I might add.

I'd tell you to read the second book, "The Protein Power Lifeplan," which has an easier formula for calculating your minimum protein requirement, but I don't know that you would like it any more than the first one.

At 5'4" and 154 pounds, you should be averaging 27 grams of protein per meal, or about 81 grams per day minimum.

There is a daily thread here called "Protein Power Pals." I invite you to join us. Feel free to ask any specific questions you like. We're all about helping each other.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Ursula, I'm sorry you had such a hard time with the book. Most people believe it's written in such a way as to make complex topics accessible to the lay person. I've been in technical writing and editing (financial, software, and collegiate texts) for more than 20 years and I thought it was well written and very enlightening, I might add.

I'd tell you to read the second book, "The Protein Power Lifeplan," which has an easier formula for calculating your minimum protein requirement, but I don't know that you would like it any more than the first one.

At 5'4" and 154 pounds, you should be averaging 27 grams of protein per meal, or about 81 grams per day minimum.

There is a daily thread here called "Protein Power Pals." I invite you to join us. Feel free to ask any specific questions you like. We're all about helping each other.

Many thanks for calculating the protein for me.

I may combine Atkins and PP. I liked Atkins because I love fatty food, but I wasn't getting anywhere with it weight-loss-wise.

Some of the parts I have read are interesting; the part on arachidonic acid has made me give up the eggs for breakfast every day and I've just tossed a new jar of flaxseed oil capsules which I bought as a non-stinky source of Omega 3 and now discover it's quite the wrong thing.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-01-04, 07:11

Plan: just generally cut carbs
Stats: 140/135/120 Female 168
BF:
Progress:

I was wondering which protein powder should I purchase - WPI or WPC or a mix of both?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 21:34

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

gosh, i don't know. my book just says "protein power"
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 07:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/144/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:
Smile Protein power soup??

undefinedundefined
Hi everyone- I am new to the Protein thing altogether- my sister has been using adkins for over a year (with breaks in between) and she has lost 35-40 lbs) I am a fan of Weight Watchers myself- I need my sugar! LOLOL But this week starting on Tuesday I tried Dr. Eades Power Protein Soup plan ( I found it in Womans World). I must say it is great for weight loss! I lost about 5 lbs in just 3 days! I lost 4.5 in the first 2. I am just wondering if anyone else has tried this & what are the results. How long can you keep losing like this? I am following it through today then maybe take a few days off. I am still wanting a WW fudge bar! I am trying to lose the weight because 1. I am tired of feeling bad about myself (physically) And 2. I am going to start fertility treatment in September & being small framed at 5'4" & weighing 150-155 was too much. I am also turning 39 in Oct. so blood pressure issues were sure to arise with the exra weight & hopefully pregnancy!! Anyway sorry this is sooo long! LOL just thought I would give you a little info on my situation. Thanks in adavance for any info!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 05:54

BF:

Hi, Doggymama. Come join us on the daily thread. We're a fun group and love new people. Ask anything you like. We talked a little about that soup a while back, but not sure whether anyone actually tried it. Post the recipe over on the daily thread. Someone is sure to try it then.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 10:31

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am doing Atkins but my scientific knowledge is coming from Protein Power. If there is a segment that I don't understand, I skip it and read other things that I do understand. I later return to the harder parts when I can guage my focus towards them.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 13:30

BF:

Black, sounds like a plan to me!

#12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-14-04, 15:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 121/117/105 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default PPP soup from Woman's World...

I tried it, the soup tasted ok, for the first day, the second day, was bearable, third day...yuck...I felt like gagging at thought of eating the soup for lunch and dinner again! I just went off the soup and directly into Phase 2, I need the variety.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 17:43

BF:

I don't know of anyone else who has actually tried this soup. Several people have talked about it, but to my knowledge no one has tried it.

Thanks for the feedback. Now I don't feel compelled to try it!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:36

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Default Protein Power Diet Soup

I've actually made this soup several times. It is pretty good. I don't eat if for several consecutive meals but I ate over a course of 3 or 4 days. I made it with the brocolli instead of spinach and used all fresh ingredients,no frozen. I've been following Atkins but am looking into other plans at this time. I've lost 85 pds since Oct. '03 and have pretty much stalled her for the past 6 months. Need to lose about another 20 to feel more comfortable.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 08:15

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

congrats on your loss so far. quite an achievment!! if you decide to try PP, feel free to join us in the java room (our daily hang out get to know you chatting place)