Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 18:43
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

My plan for any holiday meal is simple.
I eat what I want, 1 serving spoon size portion goes onto my plate of each dish I want to have along with turkey. Once I've eaten all the food on my plate, I wait 20 minutes and if I really still want seconds, I have a little more turkey.
3 bites of a dessert and I'm done!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 19:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I could see indulging on the meal itself; but you are planning THREE DAYS.
  • So you are really going to not indulge on the weekend, too? Really?
  • Most have learned that one meal, especially in moderation, is festive, but several in a row leads to bloating, stomachache, headache, and gas issues with cramps. Not my idea of a good time.
  • I've found there is a low carb substitute for ANYTHING. And it makes me feel good after.
  • You've already had a holiday screwup. What are you doing differently this time to keep from messing up?

Myself, I'm making turkey breast, Waldorf salad, some low carb dessert, and wine, with sweet potato. And I'm going to enjoy every minute.

We all have to learn how to handle holidays. In a way that works.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 19:32

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I don't cheat on holidays, but that's easy for me: my wife and I don't have local family to contend with, and I'm no longer tempted by the carbage my wife eats. Besides, I've been down that road before, and I've crashed too often.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 19:41

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

My goal for this holiday season is to stay ON PLAN 100% because I have been to goal weight twice already over the past 8 years and EVERY time I went off plan it was because I decided it would be okay to indulge in high carb foods over the holidays. Does. Not. Work. For. Me!

I have found acceptable lc substitutes for just about anything I would want/usually have, so it won't be hard for me to stay the course. I may have a few more lc desserts and I may eat a few more carbs than normal and I may gain a couple lbs from that....but I refuse to end up with those nasty cravings that always turn into me never really getting back to my woe and then gaining weight back.

For me this really HAS to be a way of life - one that I really do stick with forever. Even on the holidays.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 20:55

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I could see indulging on the meal itself; but you are planning THREE DAYS.
  • So you are really going to not indulge on the weekend, too? Really?
  • Most have learned that one meal, especially in moderation, is festive, but several in a row leads to bloating, stomachache, headache, and gas issues with cramps. Not my idea of a good time.
  • I've found there is a low carb substitute for ANYTHING. And it makes me feel good after.
  • You've already had a holiday screwup. What are you doing differently this time to keep from messing up?

Myself, I'm making turkey breast, Waldorf salad, some low carb dessert, and wine, with sweet potato. And I'm going to enjoy every minute.

We all have to learn how to handle holidays. In a way that works.

There really is. I actually think low-carb stuff tastes better.

My favorite trick is to eat enough meat and veggies first until I'm somewhat stuffed. And then I decide whether I want the other stuff. It's so much easier to deny eating dessert when your stomach is nice and full.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Like I said before, I now look at this WOE as a WOL and plan to stick with it forever... Trust me, considering I've been back and forth with this diet for over 10 years now, I know how my body reacts when I'm completely on plan, and I know how it acts when I'm off and it finally clicked with me that this is the way I want to live. It's just not realistic for me to say, however, that I am never ever ever going to have any of the higher carb foods that come with thanksgiving ever again. The last time I went off plan I thought of it as such a chore to go back on, and suddenly time was ticking away and I just couldn't force myself to go back to it. This time I don't think of it as a chore, but just as the way that I eat.

When I mentioned that I was going to have pie and mashed potatoes and stuffing, I didn't mean that I was going to jump into a vat full of a combination of the three of them and then try to eat my way out of it, but I do plan to have some of all of them and I DO plan to enjoy a higher carb meal on Friday before I go back on plan.

What's realistic for ME is knowing that, every once in a while, I am going to eat these foods. But major holidays, birthdays and anniversaries come only a few times a year and are the perfect time to plan cheats, in my opinion. I AM nervous about seeing the weight gain I will have after a couple of days, but that doesn't make it any less worth it to me.

So to all of us cheaters out there - On Thursday, viva la stuffing! On Friday, or maybe Saturday, viva la bacon!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-11, 23:21

Plan: NANY
Stats: 330/281/170 Female 64.5 inches
BF:Mostly Fried Foods
Progress: 31%

Hell yes I plan on cheating! This is Thanksgiving, for crying out loud. I will eat whatever I want on Thursday and Friday, and I will enjoy it and go right back to my WOE on Saturday.

Hubby and I have a planned Cheat Day every 40 days. I usually follow my Cheat Day with an 18 hour fast and return to ketosis in about 36 hours. I haven't had any problems with cravings or whatever. I don't expect anything different with Thanksgiving.

The one thing hubby and I have decided to do on Thanksgiving (we discussed this last night) is to take 2 spoonfuls (not SERVING spoons LOL) of each food we put on our dinner plate, and 2 spoonfuls each of dessert later (there are usually half a dozen different desserts served on holidays - big foodie family!). Our stomachs have shrunk so much that we get full FAST. I have NOT missed that miserable, over-stuffed food coma that was a daily occurrence in our previous WOE and I don't want to end Thanksgiving that way.

Eat, drink, and be merry! I'll see ya back here on Saturday. And then we'll carry on with the rest of our lives low carbin'! If you are nervous about falling off the wagon long-term like last time, we can agree to meet back here on Saturday morning and reaffirm all the reasons we want to keep losing and getting healthier and healthier. Your progress has been fantastic!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 00:55

I guess a lot of people such as myself have a problem with not having structure. In this case, there are some major holidays where most people would pig out on carbs: Christmas, new years eve, thanksgiving, valentines day, halloween, easter, independence day, birthdays, weddings, family get-togethers. This is my problem. It is very difficult for me to say "This is ____ occasion and it's okay for me to eat these foods." I've done that many many times and it turned into a vicious cycle because there are so many of those occasions. And then I start to make little excuses in between holidays. Maybe this is some form of carb creep?

To the rest of you who can do it, enjoy your meals. It will be a great Thanksgiving :-)
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 06:28

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanksgiving is at my house every year (as is every other holiday it seems, lol) and I began cooking on Wednesday. I must admit that I LOVE it though. All the yummy smells that come from the kitchen and family over. While I do cheat on my "diet", I actually love the atmosphere more than anything.

For all of you that love your cocktails at the holidays like I do, my little secret is Baja Bob's drink mixes. You can google his website. They are ALL awesome and most are 0 carb, 0 calorie, 0 sugar with the exception of pina colada and I think mudslide. Those are still very low carb, like 4 per serving. You just add the liquor which is either clear rum, vodka, or tequila depending on what it calls for, and club sodas for mojitos. You have yourself a delicious cocktail that is not a cheat, and it's sweetened with splenda. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 11:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakepro
Eat, drink, and be merry! I'll see ya back here on Saturday. And then we'll carry on with the rest of our lives low carbin'! If you are nervous about falling off the wagon long-term like last time, we can agree to meet back here on Saturday morning and reaffirm all the reasons we want to keep losing and getting healthier and healthier. Your progress has been fantastic!

Thanks! Yea, let's definitely meet here on Saturday - it's a date! Have a wonderful holiday and ENJOY.

Also, who makes the decisions about moving posts? I posted it in the lowcarb community because that was the audience I wanted opinions from. I'm seriously annoyed...
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 12:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Rather than planning to cheat, I put the planning into my dinner itself. I make a lot of dishes that I can eat without cheating. The recipe forums here have tons of ideas and recipes. I'm intending to make low carb brownies for my dessert. Yes, Pecan pie is great, but I can live without.

The one issue with cheating, especially planning to cheat for days on end, is that they may not end... it might just go on and on.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 12:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%

My first Thanksgiving eating low carb..... and no, I don't plan on "cheating"
feel no need.... I'm happy doing what I am doing
I have so many options of really great food

why???? for some mashed potatoes??
no thanks
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 12:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWee
Thanks! Yea, let's definitely meet here on Saturday - it's a date! Have a wonderful holiday and ENJOY.

Also, who makes the decisions about moving posts? I posted it in the lowcarb community because that was the audience I wanted opinions from. I'm seriously annoyed...

Yeah, sometimes I disagree with which threads they choose to move. You're not confessing to cheating. You're making a calculated decision, which is a different thing.

Plus, aside from this not being a "confession" per se, we're having a discussion about how each of us approaches the holidays food-wise. I think this thread should go back to the General Low-carb section since everyone has their own take on the topic. It's completely relevant due to the massive amounts of holidays coming up plus all of the times that friends, coworkers, loved ones are going to try to push pastries and cookies on us and we'll have to know how to handle it.

Anyway GeeWee, I completely support you on what you said.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemypets
My first Thanksgiving eating low carb..... and no, I don't plan on "cheating"
feel no need.... I'm happy doing what I am doing
I have so many options of really great food

why???? for some mashed potatoes??
no thanks

Yeah that's how I feel. Plus, I would prefer to eat high-fat foods over high carb ones. It would be nice though to have a sugar-free cheesecake or pumpkin pie sans crust.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-19-11, 09:27
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWee

The moderators may move any thread to a more appropriate section of the lowcarb forum, as they see fit. Please review the forum rules for more information.

Many readers in the daily support forums are struggling to stay on track, and find talk about cheating to be a trigger. That's what this subforum is for.

Doreen