Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 19:20

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Success Treating Dawn Phenomenon

I had tried just about everything from ACV to varying my exercise and eating times but it seemed that no matter what I did, I'd go to bed with normal BG, often in the mid 90's and get up at ~7am and it was 135-140. I had just about given up.

When I was first diagnosed with type II diabetes about 2 months ago my doctor gave me a prescription for Farxiga which I have continued to take, (5mg per day), which has helped. This past Sunday, instead of taking it in the morning according to the directions, I started taking it at night before I go to bed and it has made a big difference. The past 4 mornings in a row my BG has been in the low 100's, (105, 109, 101, 107). My average BG for the past 4 days has dropped to 103.

I hope to one day be medication free, but for now, it's nice to have found a way to get those high morning numbers down.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 02:22

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

That's a hard one to fix...I'm glad it works! Once you are down to (or around) goal your numbers should be much easier to manage.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 10:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 210/172/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 54%

Farxiga has a black box warning.
Do some reading....on this medicine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 10:47

BF:

I am aware of the risks. For me it boils down to the risk of having dangerously high BG every morning vs the fractional risks of taking the Farxiga on a short term basis until I get my BG under control without meds.

If I can't get my BG under control within a few months without the meds I will reevaluate. I am hoping that as my weight continues to decline and I stay on a restricted carb diet, (and I am working at both very hard), that I will regain that control on my own.

My doctor has been telling me for years to go low carb and he seems to think that once my weight gets below 220 I wont need the meds anymore. For now, I'll stick with the program I am on.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:03
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

FYI: It took nearly a year and the loss of over 100 pounds before my insulin resistance was resolved. It didn't seem to happen slowly over time. It happened over a matter of weeks. I didn't start logging my BG on a smartphone app until 1/1/2015, but I think that I actually captured the moment when my insulin sensitivity returned (see left side of the chart below)

In November of 2014 I was getting FBG readings between 105 and 115 most everyday. I was walking regularly and had been for some time. I was also beginning to experiment with IFs at that time. I was actually surprised that I wasn't making more progress with my BG even after 9 or 10 months on the diet. A 10 or 15 net carb dinner would still send my BG above 150 most every time. Some postprandial readings exceeded 200 within the first hour after eating. I didn't take any diabetes meds, BTW. This is simply where my body was at that point in time.

Then, as you can see, as 2014 turned into 2015 my insulin sensitivity returned. A wholesale drop of about 20 points in my BG happened in a matter of weeks. Since then my FBG has mostly been in the 70 to 90 range. But more than that, my postprandial readings after a low carb meal rarely exceeded 100. The few times that it did I was experimenting with adding back some higher carb foods to my diet. Even then, a 25 net carb dinner including a side of refried beans or sweet potato fries barely crossed 100. It took a while, but I considered my diabetes 'cured' or "reversed" after this notable shift in BG happened.

I never had an NMR done early on in the process. I wish I had. I have had two done since. Both times my insulin resistance score was in the totally normal range. I would like to have had that baseline to compare to.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:48

BF:

Ken:

Thanks for the info. I think I've seen that chart before too. I always pay special attention to your posts and find you to be a great inspiration, (as I do many people on this forum, you all play a big roll in keeping me going!) Thanks!

My doctor is not a big fan of medications, he's always had a more holistic approach to health which may be influenced by the fact that he is a DO and not an MD. He prescribed the meds and I agreed because of the damage that was already being done to my body by the high BG.

I actually tried reducing my meds a few weeks ago just to see what would happen and my BG started going back up again. I was getting readings over 140 before bed time and hours after LC dinner so I went back to my doctors prescribed dosage.

One thing I did not admit to recently was a "cheat" I did a couple weeks ago during the annual "Tucson Meet Yourself" festival which includes many ethnic food booths. I went and decided to cheat and ate one Sonoran style hot dog with the bun, and a 6 inch genuine Philly Cheese Steak sandwich. (with onions and wiz...) and when I got home an hour later my BG was 214... and that is WITH all the meds I'm taking, (Metformin + Farxiga), so I am still pretty sick.

Thankfully, as long as I stay below 20 carbs a day my BG has not gone over 130 even when I eat all my carbs in one sitting for my evening meal, which I have been doing a lot of lately because I'm down to one meal a day now most days. Virtually all the carbs I get these days comes from vegetables. Usually my BG is about 120 1 to 2 hours after my meal and stays in the mid 90's and low 100's in the daytime. I did get one reading of 79 a few days ago near the end of my first 48 hour fast.

At any rate, its a risk taking the meds I know, but its a bigger risk I think if I don't keep my BG down at this point. Like I said, I'm hoping my doctor is right about being able to reduce or discontinue the meds once I hit 220 pounds.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 13:24
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

When I was first diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic I was already 5 weeks into the diet. My A1c showed diabetes, but my FBG was 107 (which my doctor considered in the normal range). Had I not already started the diet I think that the FBG would have been much higher. Given what she saw my doctor just told me to keep doing what I was doing and come back in 3 months. No prescriptions. She didn't even have me test my BG. I did that all on my own. 3 months later my A1c was 6.0.

Had I not been eating low carb at the time of the diagnosis I likely would have shown a diabetic FBG and a much worse A1c score than the 6.7 that I had. She probably would have prescribed meds. It all worked out in the end. Had I been on meds I surely would be off of them by now. I know that not every type 2 diabetic recovers enough with this WOE to get off of all meds. I'm glad that I never had to go there. But my main point with my post is that resolving IR did take time. You've been at this for only a few months. Don't get discouraged if good results don't happen on your desired timetable. You may very well end up like me. It just may take some time.