Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-15, 11:44

Plan: Fung Bailor Taube Eenfeld
Stats: 250/205/175 Male 75 in
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Diabetic type 2 in Calgary

Hi everyone. My name is Dave and live in Calgary. Up until I was diagnosed with diabetes December 2014 I was getting good at losing weight but never kept it off by following the government food guide. Once diagnosed with type 2, thanks to Taubes & Bailors book and the diet doctor website, I cleaned the kitchen out of the "good healthy carbs" and refined sugars. Within a week, my before and after meal blood glucose for the most part returned to normal. At the follow up yearly medical the doctor said that to drop HbA1c from 9.1 to 6% is "impossible".

When I was diagnosed with diabetes I also had the other usual metabolic problems - fatty liver, leaky kidney, big belly, high cholesterol, high LDL and trigs. My ferritin level was high but in range. After listening to Ivor Cummins I learnt that high ferritin is a better predictor of death than cholesterol.

Getting rid of the carbs and sugar cleared up my liver and leaky kidneys. The trigs dropped back to normal. Ferritin dropped as well. My LDL is high. The doctor thinks I have a statin deficiency.

Unfortunately my weight loss has dropped from 225 lbs to 200 lbs and remained there for a year. I'm really happy that I have kept it off for a year.

After my last appoint with the diabetes pharmacist that the doctor had assigned to "managing" my diabetes I was a little put off that she had nothing to offer how to reduce my belly fat other than eat less & excersise more.

I'm so thankful that Ivor Cummins mention Dr Jason Fung on his "fat emperor" blog.

I have completed 10 fasts since starting in Feb 2015 and I'm very happy with the results. My morning fasting blood glucose dropped from an average of 6 to 7 mmol/L to 5.4 (100 mg/dl).

I really learnt a lot reading the information on this blog and just wanted to say thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-15, 05:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You are welcome! Have you been reading the Dr Jason Fung thread in the Diabetes forum? It has become quite the long winding road since last July, but it is helpful to see the different results people have with IF and how they adjust to it, tricks to use. Please add your experience to it, it is interesting to read how it can help people who have already been eating low carb.

If by Taubes, you are following the diet in the back of Why We Get Fat rather than general LC diet guidelines from GC,BC, that is diet used at the Duke clinic run by Dr Westman, and dropping the A1c is not impossible in that group

"the doctor thinks I have a statin deficiency". Consider sharing this new study that men on statins have a 46%!! Higher risk of diabetes. https://www.intelihealth.com/articl...s-diabetes-risk I have seen this reported in other press as the first study on the statin-diabetes link way underestimated the risk, and likely applies to women too.
Such a positive introduction post, hope you stay around. Wishing you continued good health,