Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-10, 08:16

Plan: Personal Plan
Stats: 298.8/262.1/215 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default New here, getting frustrated....

A little background first... I'm 27 and have lost weight multiple times on varying diets. I have lost weights of 20, 50, 40, 80, and 50 pounds all at different times, every time reaching my goal weight. I have since given up on low calorie diets (the book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" helped, great read by the way).

Anyways I started off at nearly 300 pounds almost a year ago. Over a few months I quite easily reached 250 pounds. I didn't follow much, just ate the right things. It just happened (I have always had an easy time losing weight, obviously). Well I got off the plan and then gained weight back up to 280. I am now back on the plan and have lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks. The total weight loss isn't the issue really right now, it's the near stall I'm in...

Over the last 2 weeks I have lost 0.2 pounds each week, which isn't bad but by my standards and by how I usually lose weight (even as recent as last year) this is starting to worry me. Here's the plan, basically..

Less than 20g carbs per day.
Working out 3 times a week, 20 min cardio, 40 min weight training.
No astartame.
No Coffee.
Unsweetened tea about once a week.
80-100 oz of water every day.
Only dairy is a bit of cheese with dinner 2-3 times a week.
About 2800-3000 calories a day. I eat enough during the work day to not get hungry, then if I overeat at all it's at dinner, which I have worked to curb lately.

I must admit I haven't measured myself lately but I can tell you that my pants are fitting pretty much the same as they were a couple weeks ago. (I can usually tell pretty easily when I lose an inch or so.)

Any advice/support/etc. is welcome.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 19:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 374/297/168 Female 5ft 2in
BF:Um yes
Progress: 37%

How much had you lost before you hit this stall? It may be just a period of readjustment for your body. I know that isn't much help, but if you stay the course you should be losing again. Hang in there.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:21

Plan: Personal Plan
Stats: 298.8/262.1/215 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I lost almost 18 pounds. This is just odd to me because I have never stalled on a diet before. First time for everything I guess, lol.

I have been told that one of my problems might be my protein intake being too high. I have not researched it myself but apparently protein may be converted into sugar by your body when you are in excess.

You generally need 1g of protein per kg of body weight. That means I need 85-95g of protein a day. I have been recording everything the last 4 days and I am averaging about 160g of protein.... maybe that's my issue. I plan on dropping my caloric intake a bit as well, since right now it is sitting a smidge over 3000 per day.

In the end it could be just a readjustment, but I am heading for almost 3 weeks with virtually no weight loss as well.....
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 08:41

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

Calories do count when on a food plan.

You could try to eat less calories and have 2 average meals for lunch and dinner. Try not to overeat too late in the evening and if possible not too late.

Good luck with your plan.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 05:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/170/133 Female 169cm
BF:39.8%/31.8%/24%
Progress: 34%

I lose weight at about that rate too. Smallest loss was 0.2 pounds and highest was 0.8 pounds. It is really frustrating at first but if that's the way your body's going along then you have to work with that.
Two things I realised were:
1. Each time I diet, I am older than the last time - therefore my metabolism will be slower than the last time
2. Each time I diet than gain it all back, I am yo-yoing - therefore my metabolism will be slower than last time
These are pretty harsh truths to face but I promise you that when you accept them it gives you more willpower to hang in there. Realise that you body is only doing the best it can.
Dr. Atkins mentions thoughout DANDR though that when we play havoc with our metabolism like this, that polonged induction dieting can help correct the problem. It might be worth you staying in induction for several months rather than weeks. I have and this week instead of half a pound, I finally saw a three pound loss. I must stress, it's taken three months of induction to see that.
Hang in there,
Lou
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-27-10, 14:39

Plan: Skinny Me Diet
Stats: 345/212.5/210 Male 6'4
BF:
Progress: 98%

I really wouldn't worry about a thing since you are still losing, even though it is slowly.

But if you do want to try increasing the rate a little, try cutting back the calories to the 2,500 calorie range. At your height/weight, you are eating around your maintenance calorie level.