Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 17:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default This, That, and PP Chat for September '07

Wow! Where did the summer go?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-07, 19:54

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Ruth!

Thanks for starting the thread for this month. I have been helping some friends move her dential office. The office used to be across the street in an old store. They had problems with the store owner so bought a house that is next to the back entrance to my farm. She will use the front of the house for the office. And when the complete renovations, move into the rear of the house - it is a big old one. The front was the school house at the turn of 1900.

I just finished supper. This makes three night running that I have eaten this late.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 11:48

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Hi Folks!

Thanks for the suggestions on the cookout. I did bake some potatoes, but the rest of the food was low carb: burgers and chicken legs on the grill, cucumber tomato salad, and I made a german cauliflower salad (think german potato, without the potato). Everything was a big hit - including the LC bbq sauce that I made last week. Folks went nuts putting it on thier burgers and said it was the best!

We slept in today and although I planned to scrape, prime and paint the back doorframe, I decided that could wait until next weekend. I'm bushed from all the housecleaning, cooking and repairs I did the week leading up to the family visit. Gonna curl up and read a book in the A/C.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 19:06

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Welcome to September everyone!!

Lots of changes for me this month!! I sold my house and now I get to pack it up and find a new house!!

Hope everyone had a great summer!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 08:11

Hey CindySue - saw your post on the local meetup forum about the house sale/moving/etc. Best of luck with the move. Are you staying in the area?

Jen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-04-07, 21:18

Jen....hoping to go to Mebane!! Trying to find a place and secure a mortgage. My house is sold, so I'm moving...just not sure where to yet!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 11:58
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Congrats on the house sale, CindySue!

Jen, sounds like a great bbq and that you're really keeping on target.

I can't quite say the same for me. Things have been challenging lately in a way I can't quite describe. I'm still trying hard to hold on to my PP principles of living and eating, but I'll admit I'm struggling. I have a LOT of stress and I'm in a caregiver role with my Mom that is more demanding than I anticipated, all while balancing the house and our business AND being pregnant. It's enough to keep me a little "off" and it's frustrating. But I think I learned so much before that I'm still dong "enough" and at least my body is healthy and my baby seems to be doing very well.

Now that fall is upon us, I'm hoping to get back to a schedule that everyone in my house can respect (creating business hours for myself, rest time, exercise time, etc.)

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I do think of you often even though I'm not around as much.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 08:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Jen....hoping to go to Mebane!! Trying to find a place and secure a mortgage. My house is sold, so I'm moving...just not sure where to yet!

My sweetie is from Mebane. :-) Nice area.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 22:12

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hello, just thought I'd stop by and say that I really like the first PP book because of the weight range calculations. It gives me an idea of what to shoot for/expect. Before reading the book, I wondered if I'd get to my high school weight, early college weight, or what. Now I know.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-07, 07:41

Welcome fujiwara! Feel free to pop in anytime.

funny you mentioned that about what weight to shoot for. I realized today that I'm not even sure what weight I was in high school or in my 20's because it yo-yoed so much from year to year (tons of sugar, carbs, alcohol, crash diets, vegetarianism, exercising a lot or not at all. yikes). Trying my best to wipe the slate clean in my brain and picture me being healthy and not having to buy new sized clothes every other year. Gosh its difficult to do...
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-21-07, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

I have always loved the Eades method of determinining ideal body weight based on body fat percentage and not height. I think it's great and more accurate than saying, "Well, I'm 5 feet 6 and I should weigh 130."
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 08:31

BF:

Welcome fujiwara!

I'm still losing weight slowly and steadily. I maintained over Rosh Hashonna even though I ate off plan for about 3 days, and I even lost another pound this week! Plus I got my period two days ago, which means I was at the height of PMS bloating when I weighed in at 173!

For the first time in several years, I was actually able to fast for all of Yom Kippur. And I feel pretty good today- the last time I fasted for YK I was sick for several days afterwards. No way could I have done this if I was still eating all those carbs every day!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-23-07, 11:37

Ruth - Congrats on making it through your fast days.

Things ok here too. The new budget has been an adjustment on our eating habits. We are eating a LOT more chicken legs and buying cheaper cuts of beef and pork like tri-tip and pork shoulder. D has mentioned the frequent appearence of chicken at the dinner table several times and I just keep reminding him its less expensive and keeping us in our budget My big splurge was some locally produced pork chops. One great thing is that I've been much more careful about getting every possible use out of the vegetables and herbs we buy, and I've been keeping the carbs in check since we are not buying any extras like wraps, tortillas, LC crackers, and cheese/fresh dairy. Made my own chicken stock (which I sometimes do anyway) and used the cooked chicken meat for a chicken mole. Since I was really the only one eating the cream, sour cream and cheese (D is somewhat dairy intollerant), half the time it went bad before it was all gone. No waste this month.

Things went pretty well: overspent the grocery/household budget by 8 dollars, but the only reason I think we made it through after cutting $150 was that for the month we were/will be out of town for nearly a week's worth of meals, oh and did I mention we are eating a ton of chicken legs. LOL. To be more realistic I've added back 50 bucks for October. D says that the cafeteria in his office building will be open in a week, depending on what they are cooking, I expect he will be eating 2-3 meals a week there instead of taking leftovers. He likes taking leftovers, but some days (like when I make a chicken curry with peanut sauce) he's not keen on having it more than once, if that. LOL.

For the first time in long time it does look like we are keeping to a budget, and will be able to pay of some lingering debt as well as take care of things like the cats teeth cleaning, and car repairs/maintenance in a timely fashion.

I've dropped a few more pounds; reason? all speculation but I am only eating the basics and getting my carbs from veggies and nuts. Nearly no dairy, cut out most of the fruit and treats. I have started subbing a whey protein shake mad with almond milk for a meal maybe 3-4 times a week. I'm "on the go" so much for work with little access to low carb meals that its been a lifesaver to have a shake when folks are chowing down on pasta and sadwiches or when I have to get up at 5:30AM for work (sooooo not a morning person). The shakes are a bit lower in calories, but half the time I'm eating them with a low carb nut meal muffin and butter so not really sure I'm saving myself any extra calories there...lol.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-07, 07:18

BF:

Congrats on sticking to the budget! It can be really hard to make and stick to those kinds of changes.

Here's how I make my chicken soup (which we have every Friday night): First, I roast a chicken every Friday night, serve the roasted chicken for dinner, and save the bones. Any meat leftover from Friday night gets used for lunches later in the week.

All week long, whenever we use fresh veggies I save the peelings and cuttings in a plastic bag in the fridge. We use a lot of carrots in the soup, so I save the peelings and the ends.

Thursday nights, I put the chicken bones, leftover veggie peelings, a fresh onion or two, 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar into the crock pot and fill with water, and turn on "low" overnight. The vineger helps get more flavor and nutrients out of the bones.

Friday mornings, I strain the soup and pour into glass jars (formerly containing pickles or gefilte fish, washed and saved for food storage) and put the jars in the fridge. None of the veggies or bones that were cooked in the broth have any flavor left- those go right in the trash.

A few hours later, I skim off the fat and save that in a smaller glass jar, and heat up the broth with freshly cut veggies (and save the peelings in a fresh plastic bag for next week's soup.) If I'm REALLY organized, I make the chicken broth Thursday morning and let it chill in the fridge overnight, so it's easier to skim off the fat. I save the fat to use for cooking in place of oil or margarine (we don't use butter with meat meals.)

I don't really like the taste of boiled chicken, so I find it more efficient cook and eat the chicken FIRST and then use the leftovers for soup. Sometimes I buy "chicken bones" (ie, the stuff leftover after they make chicken cutlets) and make soup with those instead of or in addition to the leftover cooked bones.

Instead of buying cream, sour cream, AND cheese, you could buy a small container of cream to use in coffee- that shouldnt' be too hard to use up in a week and only costs about $1 if you buy the store brand, not organic.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-07, 19:47

Hi all!!

Things have been heating up around here. My house is sold and I'll be moving into a long stay motel for a couple of weeks while I work out my new house details.

I might not be around much, but I'll probably be reading a lot!! It's going to be a very busy few weeks!!