Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-05, 08:55

Plan: modified carb control
Stats: 156.5/144.5/128 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default How much Potassium and Magnesium?

I currently take calcium, vitamin C and a dietary supplement I get from my chiropractor. It does not have potassium or magnesium in it. How much do I need each day? I'm going to GNC today after work. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 06:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Sorry, I just saw your post. I don't take anything on a regular basis (shame on me!). When I do my protein-only days and get into deep ketosis, I have a real problem with leg cramps, so I usually take 2 tablets of potassium in the morning and another 2 at night. Clears it right up.

Sorry I can't help more than that.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 16:07

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

marge23,

The best way to know how much magnesium and potassium you need is to first get an accurate assessment of your *intra*-cellular mineral levels, since that's where these two minerals are concentrated. So far, the only test I know of for this purpose is the EXATest. My insurance covers this when my doctor orders it; yours may, too.

If you turn out to be low in these two minerals, then decide whether supplements or food are your best source for them. For example, Drs. Eades and Eades go so far as a twice-a-week IV magnesium drips for severely depleted patients. Personally, I take a lot of supplemental magnesium (Mg citrate), since testing has shown that I have a hard time hanging on to the mineral. But I also eat a lot of high-magnesium foods, which is where the body prefers to get its nutrition. Coconut milk (good in curries and fruit smoothies (see the site Nutrition Recovery for such a recipe)) and spinach are high in magnesium, and you can find others wth the FDA online nutrient list database. You can get potassium from food by making your own potassium broth (recipe available at Nutrition Recovery). Remember that magnesium transports potassium into cells, so don't stint on the former.

I get the EXATest done twice a year, just to keep tabs on these vital minerals.

It's possible to overdo these minerals, but you'll know pretty quickly if you take too much magnesium -- you'll get diarrhea (remember Milk of Magnesia?). Your kidneys are very effective in excreting excess potassium from foods. Just be careful with the potassium pills.