Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 08:01

Plan: Adkins?
Stats: 165/160/100
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Funtional Exercises....????

Hello Everyone! I know this is probably a very silly question & something that I should already know BUT....

What are "functional exercises"?

It's exercises that: "improve your flexibility, balance and coordination, as well as the muscular strength and endurance of your abdomen, your back, the stabilizing muscles of your shoulder and lower legs" BUT....(I got the definition from another site, can you tell? LOL!!)

Exactly, what exercises do that?

Thanks in advance, Patty
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 08:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Patty, this sounds very similar to core exercises and would include things like; Squats, deadlifts, good mornings, crunches and reverse crunches, pushups.

These exercise require you work not only the specific muscles they target but that you recruit other muscle groups to help stabilize your body during the exercise.

Exrx.net has a great map of the body where you can click on a muscle group and get information on which exercises will work that area. The exercises will also tell you if this is a compound move (involves more than just that muscle group) or an isolating move.

A program like yoga or pilates also targets core training and would be another option.

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 09:21

Plan: Adkins?
Stats: 165/160/100
BF:
Progress: 8%
Smile Thanks alot!

I checked out the site! Thanks! It's going to help alot! Now I can know which exercises to do for which body muscle. (Or in my case....lack of muscle!) Now, I should be doing these exercises 3 times a week & cardio 6 times a week? I want to take Sundays off for a complete rest day. Thanks again! Patty
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 10:03

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Patty, glad the link helped. You'll find some really good advice for beginners in a sticky thread at the top of this forum by Trainerdan called "Advice for the beginner: getting started" - also check out "the best weight training exercises". Both would be an excellent read to get you on your way!

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 23:57

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Functional Fitness

?

Last edited by ZoneCoach : Sat, Dec-28-02 at 00:03.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 23:59

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Functional Fitness

It is not a silly question. Many people (even in the industry), know very little about functional fitness/training. It DOES NOT involve doing the the typical exercises, such as squats, deadlifts, good mornings, crunches and reverse crunches, pushups, etc. in the traditional manner.

Functional training is the latest craze in fitness. It is a comprehensive training approach based on sound scientific principles. It focuses on training, reconditioning and rehabilitating the body. Functional training integrates the physical components of strength, balance, flexibility, core stability, neuromuscular efficiency , reaction, acceleration, deceleration and agility. It is perfect for toning and firming the legs, glutes, and rest of the body, while developing core strength and helping to gain flexibility, proprioception, balance and stability.
One of the most important aspects of fitness training is core conditioning. Functional training, or functional movement, is the ability to move and respond to daily activities without restriction. Activities like playing with our kids, carrying groceries, playing softball, or stepping off a curb are functional tasks we should be able to do without injury or pain. In nearly everything you do, from lifting a child to vacuuming the house to lifting the groceries, your core is involved.
The core region is the band of muscles that wrap around your mid-section. This includes your lower back, and your abdominals. Functional training is a strength training option that focuses on exercises that can be transferred from in the gym to activities of daily work, sport or life to ultimately enhance the quality of life.
Simple and effective “toys” are things such as stability balls, medicine balls, foam rollers, Aeromats, gel pads, rocker boards, Bosu balls, bands and tubing. Because of these items being unstable, you are constantly challenged to maintain posture by contracting the abdominals, lower back and gluteal muscles. While doing a multitude of different exercises, the trunk musculature works simultaneously to balance and stabilize the body.
There are many equipment suppliers available. One of my favorites is Power Systems. http://www.power-systems.com/CoreBalanceTraining.html. Juan Carlos Santana (a leader in the fitness industry) also has some awesome videos available, although they somewhat geared toward trainers.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 11:11

Plan: My own?
Stats: 225/225/195
BF:big
Progress: 0%

I've always had a hard time with activities who's sole purpose is excersize. There are so many activities that are enjoyable to do that offer the benefit of excersize that it doesn't make sense to simply excersize for the sake of excersize.

I cycle primarily. Mountainbiking primarily.

I also play tennis with a league.

I hike Mountain Trails often.

I play Raquetball.

Each of these activities are not chores to me, they are what I look forward to. And the reason isn't for the sake of excersize. My enjoyment of them comes from the competition, the scenery, the challenge, and the time I get with friends. I can carry on these activities literally until I drop, and when I'm done, I have excersized my soul as well as my body.

I'm not trying to knock weight training, I know it's effective. But so is riding a mountainbike for 2.5 hours with an average heart rate of 172. So is playing 3 sets of singles or walking 20 miles in the mountains. Excersize doesn' t have to be work, it can be fun.

So why am I here?
I had a surgery last october that kept me incapacitated until recently. Unfortunately I also gained about 25 lbs during this time. I also was attracted to the other health aspects of low carb dieting besides weight loss.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 11:18

Plan: My own?
Stats: 225/225/195
BF:big
Progress: 0%

I've always had a hard time with activities who's sole purpose is excersize. There are so many activities that are enjoyable to do that offer the benefit of excersize that it doesn't make sense to simply excersize for the sake of excersize.

I cycle primarily. Mountainbiking primarily.

I also play tennis with a league.

I hike Mountain Trails often.

I play Raquetball.

Each of these activities are not chores to me, they are what I look forward to. And the reason isn't for the sake of excersize. My enjoyment of them comes from the competition, the scenery, the challenge, and the time I get with friends. I can carry on these activities literally until I drop, and when I'm done, I have excersized my soul as well as my body.

I'm not trying to knock weight training, I know it's effective. But so is riding a mountainbike for 2.5 hours with an average heart rate of 172. So is playing 3 sets of singles or walking 20 miles in the mountains. Excersize doesn' t have to be work, it can be fun.

So why am I here?
I had a surgery last october that kept me incapacitated until recently. Unfortunately I also gained about 25 lbs during this time. I also was attracted to the other health aspects of low carb dieting besides weight loss.