Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: The Diet Solution
Stats: 140/138.5/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Weight Bounce

Just weighed in and astonished to see a 3 lb upward bounce from a few days ago. I assume this is a bit of bloat as I've been adding veggies and a few seed sprouts to my meals, and some water weight.

Question: now that I want to maintain a decent weight for me (135) is it natural that adding in more "good LC carbs" will result in this kind of creep?

I don't eat dairy or wheat which always results in instant gain and a big bloated belly (oh, how gross that sounds!).

I guess my big fear is simple weight gain. Like so many I stay on induction for months, then fall off and gain 5 lbs instantly. So back on induction. But that is simply not doable for me in the long term. Arrrrggggghhhh!!! I have so many questions!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 11:16
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I think that you may have some food sensitivities. Have you read the book The False Fat Diet by Dr Haas?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 12:31
Registered Member

BF:

yes, Judy, thanks for mentioning that. I do have sensitivities to dairy and grains, but I guess I didn't realize how sensitive to carbs I've become. Almost any carbs seems to be too much. Do you think those of us who do best on VLC become more sensitive to carbs? I thought insulin sensitiveness increased with VLC.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 13:31
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara
yes, Judy, thanks for mentioning that. I do have sensitivities to dairy and grains, but I guess I didn't realize how sensitive to carbs I've become. Almost any carbs seems to be too much. Do you think those of us who do best on VLC become more sensitive to carbs? I thought insulin sensitiveness increased with VLC.

Actually no, I don't think that all who do vlc become carb sensitive to all carbs. I think that when a person stays vlc for a long time and then eats veggies, the body isn't used to processing them at first and thats when you'll see bloat.
Also, some do better with cooked veggies as opposed to raw.

Personally, I don't have food sensitivities. I figured out that I don't do well with any wheat in my diet but can have other grains in small quantities. I eat a small amount of yogurt daily...and H&H in my cofffee.

And just so you know, I recently turned 60 yrs old and am hyper vigilant about my weight....losses and gains!!
At your weight, you feeling bloated is what you are dealing with and thats not even vanity...thats a bad feeling overall. If/when I overeat, I can get that bloated feeling too. Its a good time for you to figure out which foods are causing you to bloat.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 18:33
Registered Member

BF:

yes, you're right Judy - I have to eat smaller meals, chew more thoroughly and eat more often of foods that don't bloat - for me that means beef and chicken primarily.

I hope you CAN teach an old dog new tricks ;} Thanks for your support and good for you that you have done so well, and are keepin' on keepin' on.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 19:43
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara
yes, you're right Judy - I have to eat smaller meals, chew more thoroughly and eat more often of foods that don't bloat - for me that means beef and chicken primarily.

I hope you CAN teach an old dog new tricks ;} Thanks for your support and good for you that you have done so well, and are keepin' on keepin' on.

Of course us old dogs can learn new tricks.
I started out at 54 yrs old...this time. I've been your typical yo-yo dieter for most of my life. I had to learn a new way to eat permanently if I wanted to not see regain.

I suggest that you begin to weigh daily and track your food so that you can see which foods cause your body to bloat and or gain.
Which veggies and sprouted seeds did you add in and in what quantities?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-10, 20:08

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Have you taken your blood sugar levels to see what kinds of sensitivity you might have? People are different... I was VLC for a good long while and now I don't seem to be able to lose unless I eat alot of carbs. It is maybe just a temporary reaction? The heat? Exercise?