Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:12

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/180/120 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Brand New Here... Have Candida ??

Hi all,

My name is Wendy and I'm new to this forum. I believe I have Candida. I've been low carbing 3 1/2 months and have only lost 7 lbs. My stomach is swollen and really uncomfortable. I have horrible sinus headaches that are really weird. It feels like I have a layer of fuzz under my forehead. When I first started LC'ing I had a burst of energy, but it has waned and now I'm really tired alot and trouble concentrating to do my job. My memory is shot.

I thought I had cut out all the candida foods, but Atkins says cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and heavy cream are ok. I was also told to eat yougurt every day. I know there is some debate about dairy and was wondering what you all think. I've heard some carbs are ok, and to stay away from all of them except non-starchy veggies. I see debate about rice and other carbs.

I'm breaking down and going to the doctor this week and asking for nystatin. I hear diet alone doesn't fix this. I'm takind acidophilus but have no idea if I'm taking enough. I take 2 of the (1 billion) capsules a day. They are not refrigerated.

I'm desparate to feel better and am considering doing a water amd lemon juice fast for a week and then adding in meats & veggies. Raw veggies seem to bloat me up alot. Does thins happen because of candida?

I'm begining to think I've had this a long time. I hear candida can cause internal problems like endometriosis, and I've had 5 adbominal surgeries over the last 5 years that ended in a hysterectomy.

I just plain fell like crap so much of the time that it a cause for great celebration when I do feel good.

Wendy
180/173/120
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 11:20
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Wendy! I am sorry you feel so ill. I don't have most of the answers you are looking for but hopefully someone will respond. I also want to know the answer to some of your questions.
Quote:
I'm taking acidophilus but have no idea if I'm taking enough. I take 2 of the (1 billion) capsules a day. They are not refrigerated.
I read that it should be acidophilus that has been refrigerated.

Peace
red
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:41

Stats: 138/118/110 Female 5'2
BF:25%
Progress:

Hi, hopefully you have found a solution & are feeling better by now.
I was at the same point. Borrow a copy of Dr Atkins Age Defying Diet. I learned from there to get quality supplements. (Atkins are GOOD, and they now carry at WalMart.) Also, some generic Folic Acid for energy, and extra B vitamins. And I think the kicker was Oil of Oregano from Health food store. I felt terrible for 2 days after starting it, (He warns of this when he suggests it) but now feel a lot better, more energy, no sinus headaches and can have cheese occasionally. Good Luck, Pris
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:51

Stats: 160/145/132 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Have you tried digestive enzymes? I believe a deficiency could cause many of the symptoms that you mentioned? Not an expert, just trying to help. Hope things work out for you..
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 13:46

Plan: Candida diet
Stats: 135/130/125 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum too, but have been on the candida diet for 2 weeks now. Definitely get digestive enzymes! I was having similar bloating problems this week when I forgot to take them! Supplements are very important while you are fighting candida. Diet alone won't do it.

ALSO, you must get acidopholus with bifidous that has 2 billion live bacteria, not just 1 billion. I've been instructed to take this at least 3 times and up to 6 times a day! By the way, what are you taking to KILL the candida? Here's a list of what I'm taking...

You will have to go to a health food store and ask for assistance. Try Whole Foods if you have one in your area. What they don’t have, they can probably tell you how to find.

1. Clean Start (also called Healthy Start) or CandiGone – NO yeast OR dairy type if they have two types. This is in the refrigerated section of the store and must remain refrigerated while you are taking it.
--Take this as direction on the package – one complete package is enough

2. High Potency Garlic Tablets
--Take one tablet for 60 days (take in the morning)

3. Pau D’Arco Tea – you can brew hot individual cups or make a large batch of cold tea for the refrigerator. This doesn’t taste very good. If you add some lemon it helps.
--Drink two (or more) cups a day for 60 days (drink in the morning and evening)

4. Flax Seed Oil
--Take one whole bottle as directed

5. Liquid Chlorophyll
--Take 1 tsp in a glass of water 2 times a day for 60 days (take in the morning and evening)

6. Psyllium Fiber Supplement
--Take 2 times a day for 60 days (take in the morning and evening)

7. Food enzymes – If you can find these take them - if not, it’s not crucial
--Take with every meal for 60 days

8. Bifidophilus Flora Force – This is probably also in the refrigerated section of the store
--Take 2 capsules three times a day (at least) for 60 days (it recommends continuing this for six months after the diet if you can) (take in the morning, at lunch, and the evening – take this ONE hour after the garlic and the tea)

Hope this helps you!

~Heather