Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 11:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default How to peel a dozen eggs in 2 minutes

http://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...id=social_gplus

I haven't tried this. I usually steam my eggs which makes them super easy to peel. Someone try it and report back!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 13:18

Plan: <20 net, <1518 cals
Stats: 351.5/230.2/165 Female 5'11"
BF:5’11”
Progress: 65%

(knock on wood) I never have problems peeling boiled eggs. I boil them for 12 mins then drain and cover with cold water. Sometimes I leave the water running for a while so it gets really cold. Then I crack the eggs up against the side of the pot until the shell has multiple cracks all around. Then I peel them under water so that little chunks of shell don't stay on the egg. Most eggs I get the shell off in one piece. So I guess my method is somewhat similiar to the video, but no "swirling"
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 13:45

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
http://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...id=social_gplus

I haven't tried this. I usually steam my eggs which makes them super easy to peel. Someone try it and report back!
I also steam my eggs but this last batch was harder to peel for some reason. I saved my eggs in the fridge for several weeks so they wouldn't be really fresh but that didn't seem to matter. I even put ice in the cold water to help with the peeling. Any suggestions?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 18:19
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

For steamed eggs, poke a hole in the shell with a pin. I have an Egg Genie (aka EggHead) steamer, and there's actually a little pin on the plate for you to poke the hole with. Steam penetrates underneath the shell, and it's slippery once you crack it and take the shell off.

This made me nervous at first: the conventional wisdom says you should consume hard cooked eggs within 24 hours once the shell is broken. But it does make sense that the eggs are okay for longer than that: it's steam that penetrates the shell, which is at a higher temperature than even boiling water, so... it's not sterile, but close enough to it that the eggs are fine for up to a week.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 19:35
Experimenter

BF:

I always steam my eggs for 12-13 minutes (depending on size) and then plunge them into ice cold water until they're thoroughly chilled all the way through.

Not sure why your eggs didn't peel!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 20:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Is this the one where you put your egg(s) in a closed container with water then shake vigorously for a minute or so?
Because I tried that, and my egg turned into disgusting mush.

My current method (if I forget to put some aside for at least a week) is to peel them under water and make sure to get some water under the membrane. Helps enormously.

I have also read that buttering your thumbs is the go. I keep meaning to try that one but simply doing it under running water is just so easy and seems less messy.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 04:36
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%
Default Egg-iting Topic!!

Egg-citing Topic! Sorry couldn't help myself!

Interesting Video, Nancy!

Here's what's always worked for me... I have been doing this for decades. Don't know where I got the idea but it works like a charm every time:

Prick the fat end of the egg with a straight pin. Set all the eggs in a pan of water. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat (if it's electric, move the pan) and cover.

Let the eggs set (cook) for 20-22 mins if large eggs.

Empty the pan of hot water and cover the eggs in cold water. Not only are the eggs easy to peel but they don't get that greenish gray oxidation ring around the yokes.

Personally I think when you allow the eggs to boil they bump into each other and crack the shells... rarely do you get cracked shells with this method.

You can keep them up to 7 days in the friggie....hmmmm but for some reason they didn't last that long in my house ~ cause everyone eats them well before 7 days is up!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 10:01

I have a rice cooker/steamer that has little indentations where I can set my eggs to steam and I love to cook them this way. For one thing, the yoke is always in the middle so the deviled eggs look good.

I also like to steam the eggs because if I forget about them they just cool down and wait for me to remember. Peeling may be harder but have you ever eaten eggs simmered for 2 1/2 hours?

I will try the pin prick the next time I cooked them. Also I have been steaming them for 30 minutes. How long do others steam theirs and have them fully cooked?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-15, 15:57

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I always steam my eggs for 12-13 minutes (depending on size) and then plunge them into ice cold water until they're thoroughly chilled all the way through.

Not sure why your eggs didn't peel!

yup. ice water. that's what I do.

also, to prevent the "greying", put the eggs in cold water from the start, and "bring up" to boil.

just did 7 eggs (6 for my recipe and ... well, one to eat while cooking!)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 11:29

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Here's what's always worked for me... I have been doing this for decades. Don't know where I got the idea but it works like a charm every time:

Prick the fat end of the egg with a straight pin. Set all the eggs in a pan of water. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat (if it's electric, move the pan) and cover.

Let the eggs set (cook) for 20-22 mins if large eggs.

Empty the pan of hot water and cover the eggs in cold water. Not only are the eggs easy to peel but they don't get that greenish gray oxidation ring around the yokes.

That's exactly what I do! Elevation makes a difference in how long you let the eggs cook. For where I am, I found out thru trial & error that 23 minutes is perfect.

I found out about pricking the egg (I use a push pin dedicated to this purpose) several years ago in the great book "What Einstein Told His Cook."

That's where I also found that baking soda does absolutely nothing for odors in the fridge. I tossed out that old box & have never had a problem with odors - & I'm not one to clean the fridge very often. Even when I left a plastic bag of cut onions in the fridge for too long, the smell went away on its own in about a week.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 09:48

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I regular hard-boil. Then after they've cooled, I crack all of their shells by rolling each on the counter and soak them in water for a few minutes. The shells practically fall off them when you start stripping them all.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 20:57

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Fresher eggs are harder to peel. And the gray green ring just means that they are slightly over cooked, and the surfer is drawn to the outside of the yolk.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 23:18
Experimenter

BF:

I steam eggs for 13 minutes for jumbo. 30 minutes would make them sulfurous and awful, I should think! At the 13 minute mark, they are immediately plunged into icy cold water so they don't cook any longer.

The yolks are just firm and not overcooked. The whites are tender, but set. There is no sulfur/green ring and they don't smell like yucky hard-boiled eggs.

A friend of mine has always complimented my steamed eggs.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 16:01

I tried to shorten the time once to about 20 minutes or maybe less and ended up with soft cooked eggs. And at 30 min. I don't have a green ring around the yolk or a sulfuric taste to them.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 19:20
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe we're just using differing amounts of steam. My boil is going pretty hard before I put the eggs in the steamer basket.