Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/184/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Default Parties/My first cheat

Today I went to a Harry Potter themed party. While I've been to a lot of book openings and midnight movie showings and am familiar with celebrating the books with fans tonight was different. There was food. And a lot of it. Pumpkin Pasties and butterbeer included.

So I had one sip of the butterbeer and one bite of pumpkin pastie. I new it was cheating, but thought I was being "good" by only having one bite. I took one bite and then totally forgot about the cheating until just now. The thing is, I made a very conscious decision to eat it. And to eat just a little. And now I don't really feel guilty. Should I? One the one hand I did eat what I very well knew I shouldn't. On the other hand, I limited myself to just trying them which was what I was craving. But I can't do that for every new thing that I see and want to try.... It's my first cheating in the 5 days I've been doing LC. I guess I'm just going to write it off and try to do better.

What have been your experiences at parties? I think that's going to be my weakness. Do you stay away from the food table? Do you try and have a full meal before hand? Do you choose the best of the worst? Try and concentrating on the mingling more? Any tips?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 08:12
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Parties ae definitely a hard one. I am lucky as parties here in my neck of the woods always have meat and cheese trays and veggies trays along with the illegal foods.
I do always bring my own snacks in my purse just in case.I do always bring a platter or plate of food myself so I make it legal.
Or I bring stuff in my purse.
A bite or a sip isn't going to kill you or knock you out of ketosis but it will bring on cravings. The reason induction is so strict is to get us over those cravings psychologically and physically. So IMO just get back on track today and let it go. But try to behave Great job on your weight loss so far. 8lbs in 5 days is incredible
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-11, 10:18
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.mac
So I had one sip of the butterbeer and one bite of pumpkin pastie. I new it was cheating, but thought I was being "good" by only having one bite. I took one bite and then totally forgot about the cheating until just now.

The thing is, I made a very conscious decision to eat it. And to eat just a little. And now I don't really feel guilty. Should I? .

I definitely do not think you should feel guilty. You made a decision to just have a bite and you kept your word. Now I would not recommend do it every week and certainly not during induction but what is done is done and you are right back on track. Good job on getting back on track.

Just know that when stuff like this happens it may take a few to reset back to and like bc said you may experience cravings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.mac
What have been your experiences at parties? I think that's going to be my weakness. Do you stay away from the food table? Do you try and have a full meal before hand? Do you choose the best of the worst? Try and concentrating on the mingling more? Any tips?

I make sure that I at least, if I can, bring something that I can eat and I make sure I eat before I go to a party. If there is nothing LC to eat then I make an excuse (no one expects you to eat if you have an "upset" stomach) why I am not hungry. I also have nuts in my bag to snack privately .
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-11, 23:14

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I face gatherings 2 times a week with yummy cakes, pastries and cookies and next week a week long conference which has 3 meals involved. I always caved before at breakfast : TOAST BUTTER AND JAM! I am a morning food person.
But not this time.
I am determined to go for the eggs cheese and cukes.
Its just simply do it now or never.
I will see to it I have alternatives.
Yay induction! I too dropped 7 pounds in 7 days.
But its STAYING OFF.
I hear ya Ms. Mac!