Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 15:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/169/145 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Hormones slowing the process?

Hi everyone: I have been on Atkins for almost 3 weeks and have only lost 3 lbs. I have been sticking with 20 or less carbs per day, but have been eating more of the "processed" low carb foods than I probably should on induction. Typical menu: breakfast is always two eggs w/cheese and 3 or 4 pieces of bacon; lunch is a small chef salad with 3 carb italian or ranch dressing; dinner is usually some type of meat and cheese stick or MorningStart Banana Nut cereal with half and half (small portion so I can stay under 20 carbs). For snacks during day I nibble on cheese or a zero net carb chocolate bar. I am also on hormone replacement therapy and antidepressants. Atkins says these can significantly hinder your weight loss. Anyone else having a hard time on hormones or anti-depressants? HELP! Last time I was on this diet 5 years ago I lost 10 lbs in two weeks. I was on hormones and anti-depressants at that time and didn't have problems. I guess I'm 5 years older and that can slow things down -- the age thing Any input would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 18:12

Stats: 160/150/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

[I][SIZE=3] [FONT=Garamond]

Hi! I to have used Atkins last year and lost a lot...but regained bigtime...I did a purge diet and am resuming Atkins tonight! I think it is good tooo have support in this as well as recipe exchanges....hope this helps... I am on high blood pressure medicine and tried going off it but pressure just shot up, my meds cause a slow down on Atkins also.. Maybey others can help too...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 22:35

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

Note to lovecarbs - make sure you start a journal and introduce yourself in the Newbie section!!!! I am new too - perhaps we can see each other around!!!

nocarbzone: I myself am afraid to go on hormones as my last doctor appointment indicated because I am afraid it will hinder my weight loss. I am also on a ton of other medication and I figure enough is enough!!!

As far as I have heard and I am not the ultimate authority, the side products like low/zero carb bars and low carb cereals etc. are totally off for induction despite the supposed carb count. I have heard of tons of people's weight loss being stalled by including such items in their diet.

Don't look at me as Miss Dr. Atkins though, I know there's a forum leader here who is wiser than me. See ya around and good luck to you!!!

Charlie Girl
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein/4 Corners Diet
Stats: 134/106/105 Female 5'0"
BF:31/23/22
Progress: 97%

I'm on HRT and haven't gained any weight from it. I upped my exercise from 3x a week to 6 or 7x. And I'm a diabetic 2 do I don't eat very many carbs or fats to begin with. Usually about 30 a day. BUT- I was on Zoloft for a short while and ballooned! Almost if not all the SSRI's will put on weight. And also slow your metabolism down. It takes a while to get it back where it should be. Wellbutrin is the only one I know of that doesn't put weight on.
Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 20:53

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't know if its hormones or lack of hormones but its harder to lose after menopause.