Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default The Paleo Diet - Just read it, going to try it

There doesn't seem to be much activity on these paleo threads.

Anyway, I just completed a month and a half on Atkins induction and lost 11 pounds along with losing pain, bloat, lethargy brought on by a formerly carb-heavy diet. I'm pleased with the results. My plan from the start was to follow The Primal Blueprint after a while as Atkins is not sustainable for me. Well, I just happened to have a Kindle copy of The Paleo Diet (Loren Cordain, revised 2010 version) and read it in one sitting yesterday. It resonates with me even a bit more than The Primal Blueprint, and I'm going to give it a whirl. I think this is an eating template/philosophy/method I can stick with for life. What other people have described as "restrictive" or "strict" about Cordain's version of paleo, I find to be refreshingly simple and accessible.

I'm not in a huge hurry to lose more weight; I'm confident that if I embrace the lifestyle the weight will peel off of me in good time. Most of all, I want to feel well and enjoy life. Wish me luck, and I'd love to hear from any other paleo people out there, veterans or newbies.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 14:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

There are other well-established Paleo forums and Paleo is "Carb Agnostic". Some paleo acolytes are actually quite opposed to Low-Carb, to them, there is a divide between the two.

But many of us here do embrace a combination of Low Carb and Paleo personalized for our own needs/goals. For me it means basically all "real food", no processed foods/bars, make my own mayo, no AS, no legumes. But then adding LC, also means no starchy root vegetables, very little fruit. The iffy "rules" that vary for me is dairy (this month is none, not even cheese ..so sad), alcohol out also.

One suggestion for you might be the wildly popular Whole 30. People use it as a one month "clean restart" and since you are switiching to The Paleo Diet, it may be a way for you to clear out the effects of any non-paleo foods you used on LC. The biggest one is Dairy. Try a month Dairy-free and to see if you have any improvements in skin, weight, etc. https://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/
Not easy, but simple, bright-line rules. If you do go wild with the sweet potatoes and fruit, you may some re-gain pounds, but may also find other food intolerances.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-12-17 at 03:28.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 14:25

BF:

Thank you, Janet! I've been through a lot of the ropes and for the most part have eaten real, whole foods for many years. Only during times of stress and hardship have I grabbed at anything within reach and gotten sick and fat. I spent a lot of time and effort overcoming my emotional eating.

Doing whole foods, plant based (no meat, scant oil/fat), I discovered many food sensitivities and issues. I know without doubt that beans and grains are off the plate. I jumped into Atkins from there still loving potatoes, rice, pasta, corn on the cob ... induction really helped me rid myself of cravings for that stuff. I also realized, diving head first into cheeses and yogurt, how bad dairy is for me. I don't have overt symptoms; they build up - constipation and congestion and a sinus infection. Ouch! I dumped the dairy. I can live without it. Other creamy nondairy things satisfy me just fine.

So there you go - no wheat or other grains, no sugar, no cakes or cookies or breads or pastas, no rice, no dairy - starting to sound a lot like paleo! I did follow primal loosely for a couple of years but found it hard to stick to for several reasons, mostly because there are so many gray areas. That's why I think paleo will be good for me. I'm going to scan the threads, compare notes and jump in. Looking forward to the journey.

P.S. Mark Sisson's carbohydrate curve works well for me. I like being fat adapted yet not in ketosis, at least not all the time. Everybody's different and every body's different! Whatever works.

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, May-11-17 at 14:42.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
I don't have overt symptoms; they build up - constipation and congestion and a sinus infection. I can live without it. <snippet>

oh, my word!
i wish i could stop dairy.
it continually sneaks back into my life....

welcome to the forum.
you found the right place and do start a journal so you can document your journey and we can converse with you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 14:45

BF:

Thanks, Pilot Gal! Dairy is one of those things I'm able to indulge in in small amounts once in a blue moon, like half and half in my coffee when I eat out, or a few pinches of shredded cheese on my salad. I also love my grass-fed butter, which I use in moderation but enjoy tremendously and doesn't seem to affect me. It's the only dairy item I will bring home.

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, May-11-17 at 17:06.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 15:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I've eaten my own version of low carb paleo for years, mostly meat, fish and veggies, no fruit, no legumes, no dairy, some sunflower seeds and some flax seeds along with coconut oil and olive oil. It's easy and it works for me.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 16:52

BF:

Jean, that's the way I like to eat, too. Mostly poultry, fish/shrimp, vegetables. I'm not a big fruit eater but I do like to have a piece now and then. Do you eat eggs?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-11-17, 18:03

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I don't eat eggs. It's one of my numerous food sensitivities. I even tried duck eggs instead of chicken eggs to see if they would work but no go. I avoid fruit because of their carb count except for the occasional berry.

Jean
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-12-17, 08:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, Barb712, I could've written that about dairy. I too get sinus infections, constipation, zits, and muscle aches.

I've got a zillion food sensitivities too. I think I ruined my gut with NSAIDs.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-12-17, 09:06

BF:

In my younger days, I ate ibuprofen for menstrual pain. I had a terrible time. By my 40s, when I started winding down, it was so freeing! The "change" was a welcome one. My whole body heaved a collective sigh. But that monthly ibuprofen use for 20-odd years left me with digestive issues (heartburn, reflux). Now I don't touch the stuff. Over time, things have eased quite a bit though I'm still mindful of being gentle with my GI tract. Whole, real foods seem to sit fine with me. It's the processed stuff that kicks up havoc. As I've explored primal/paleo, I'm starting to learn more about probiotics. Since ditching the dairy, I've discovered fermented vegetables like sauerkraut, olives and half-sour pickles. And apple cider vinegar. A whole wonderland of things like that. The body is amazingly resilient and receptive to healing foods.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-18, 19:01

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Barb, I'm popping in as one of the Broken Brain episodes mentioned the value of Paleo.

I love dairy. But realize I need a trial month without it to test for reactions. Is there any other way to test for dairy sensitivity than reintroduce dairy again?

I plan to see an eye doctor to understand the weepy eyes. I suspect it goes with the endless nasel congestion. The 24/7 kind that has left me a mouth breather, mostly.

How long without dairy to know to keep clear??
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 02:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Whole 30 program continues to be popular because 30 days totally clean seems the agreed upon minimum. Whole 30 offers a few different reintroduction plans on their website and in the books. https://whole30.com/step-two-finished/ They test dairy as the entire group.
Chris Kresser suggests a more methodical reintroduction for dairy. It was something along the lines of 3 days each of butter, then cream, then cheese, etc. https://chriskresser.com/5-steps-to...paleo-protocol/. This more methodical reintroduction seems better to me because what if cheese didn’t agree with you due to histamines not the milk.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Oct-30-18 at 02:34.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 08:25

BF:

Thanks Janet for the links and insight on each.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 08:27

BF:

Hi Arielle. I think Janet provided good information (as always) for you on the topic. Whatever I have to tell you is anecdotal, based on my own experience. I find that if I stay away from a food I think is giving me trouble for at least 3-4 weeks and then reintroduce it, my body will tell me if it's rebelling against it.

I use half-and-half in my coffee and grass-fed butter on my food every day and do have a small portion of other dairy once in a while, like if I'm eating out and they put some in my salad.

I tell you this because you may not have to give up dairy altogether if at all; there may be a spectrum of tolerance, or there may be some dairy foods that sit well with you and others not. It's a lot about trial and error.

Thanks for reviving this thread. It was interesting reading my original posts from a year and a half ago, when I started out seriously low carbing. I ultimately did stick with and find success with Atkins, I needed the structure, but paleo/primal and Atkins OWL have many similarities as far as food choices.

Last edited by barb712 : Tue, Oct-30-18 at 08:38.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-18, 09:10

BF:

I do love dairy. Especially cheeses butter and cream.

There is a new thought about dairy that which animals produce the milk could make a difference to. The A2 protein is the difference among dairy cattle breeds, and goat's and sheep.