Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1876   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 07:05

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

ahh, the dreaded roof work and more!! JO I hear ya on finding that good team of 'home worker handyman' types that can do it all for reasonable cost! We got Rick. He did hubby's mom/dad's home repairs forever and we use Rick cause this guy can do it all and at SUCH an affordable price! He did a roof patch cause I had a leak in master bath on corner where shower is and he came out right away when I spotted it that night after his other jobs. Figured it out, patched etc and checked rest of roof etc. and done very fast and I said how much, thinking like around 80 at least and he said $20! I said NO, I gotta give ya at least $40 LOL So this is my kind of guy and happy you found yourself a good contractor guy also!!! They can sure make home repairs affordable in a price hike world!!

9 inches per year...oh my we got like 9 inches in 2 weeks one time I am sure HAHA...yea the desert. Thing is you are dry heat right? makes it a tad more doable vs our humidity which is a killer!

can't go to your house today busy here. down to work with goats in a bit and then handle pool vacuum and other crap. again it is the usual around here LOL
Sponsored Links
  #1877   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 09:56
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
ahh, the dreaded roof work and more!! JO I hear ya on finding that good team of 'home worker handyman' types that can do it all for reasonable cost! We got Rick. He did hubby's mom/dad's home repairs forever and we use Rick cause this guy can do it all and at SUCH an affordable price! He did a roof patch cause I had a leak in master bath on corner where shower is and he came out right away when I spotted it that night after his other jobs. Figured it out, patched etc and checked rest of roof etc. and done very fast and I said how much, thinking like around 80 at least and he said $20! I said NO, I gotta give ya at least $40 LOL So this is my kind of guy and happy you found yourself a good contractor guy also!!! They can sure make home repairs affordable in a price hike world!!
Wow, Rick sounds amazing esp his prices!

Hey I think I remember that leak...weren't you all in the process of doing bathroom renovations or something at that time??

I paid $400 for all the work & supplies including an extra $50 b/c I was very pleased with their work. I think that was pretty dare cheap for 8 hours of work and they didn't play around, KWIM?

They had to completely replace about 12 feet of fascia boards (completely rotted out) and soffit panels, paint, seal, etc for those areas.

Then they nailed some of the other soffit panels that needed it, sealed the panels together and painted the nail heads... plus I had 1/2 a dozen shingles that had blown off...

I know I could've done the work myself, have the tools etc, it ain't rocket science!

BUT and this is a BIG BUT (not as big a BUTT as "Fat Jo's" ) I REFUSE to get on a ladder taller than my kitchen foot stool b/c me and ladders don't mix! Learn my lesson the hard way...
Quote:
9 inches per year...oh my we got like 9 inches in 2 weeks one time I am sure HAHA...yea the desert. Thing is you are dry heat right? makes it a tad more doable vs our humidity which is a killer!
Yeah, don't be showing off with your 9 inch in two weeks of rain thingy!

And Imma at DRY HEAT! Holy Hannah! At over 100 degrees, we're pretty much in an oven here... even dry... but at least we don't sweat! I can't imagine peeps living here w/o A/C or Swamp Coolers (click the link to find out how that works if you're interested)...
Quote:
can't go to your house today busy here. down to work with goats in a bit and then handle pool vacuum and other crap. again it is the usual around here LOL
Goat herding huh? Do you have a shepherd's crook and everything???
  #1878   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 10:26
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Knitted Afghans...

Forgot to post my two new afghans I made...

Imma doing about an afghan a week. These two are knitted as opposed to the last two which were crocheted... I love to pedal my butt, binge on Netflix shows and knit or crochet... you know: Idle hands and all that!

They are both baby afghans:

The first afghan is made with left-over yarn I needed to use up (aka to justify buying MORE yarn...)

Pattern: "Mistake Stitch" Knitted Afghan (42x45 inches)

Pattern: "Yarn Over Stitch" Knitted Afghan (45x49 inches)

Imma starting another "Yarn Over Stitch" Baby Afghan in a color called "Wildflower" . Click the link to see the colors, it's a variegated yarn... can't wait to see how it knits up!
  #1879   ^
Old Sat, Jul-15-17, 19:48

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Warriors!

Beautiful afghans Jo. Wow, what do you do with all of those?

I got my yard mowed and started sorting closets. What a big mess I take everything out and go through it all, seeing what I want to keep & put back or get rid of, either donating or throwing stuff away.

Still don't know when or if we are going to move. For now we are staying put & DH has not retired yet or put in paperwork to retire. One of these days!!!!

I grilled some burgers tonight for us & the dogs they love 'Em 🐶 🐶

Have a great weekend all

#1880   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 03:25

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

How is everyone doing today?

Jo... gorgeous afgans ! Just think creating beautiful pieces of work and pedaling for good health to boot! Jo, my kiddos have both got Netflix they love it!

De... another hard working warrior getting everything clean and organized! I am always cleaning and purging but I am a minimalist so if I am not using it off it goes!
Hello to our newest warriors!
Flooding is bad by my DS place and the water only crested late last night! We have been sandbagging all around the house. So far house is dry! But you have to take a boat 🚣🏻 to get to the place!
DD Airconditioner went out yesterday ! Holy Hannah when it rains it pours!
Have a spectacular Sunday warriors!
I am going to walk the doggies and head back by DS more sandbagging at dawn!
  #1881   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 05:09

BF:

JO, you had me laughing cause yes I did buy a shepard's crook as a joke present for hubby many many moons ago when farming and I still got it somewhere down in the barns HA

450 for all that work is not bad at all. I would at least nearly double it for that kind of work so you did very well I think, and I hear ya on the ladder, after before, I wouldn't do it either!! You got away nice on price for all that!

You got a great memory...yea that was the bathroom leak I mentioned way way long ago I just love Rick that he just comes, does the work fast, is super cheap and does great work. We hang onto this guy!!

The afghans are so pretty! I bet all the people who receive them love them cause they are great to just throw over yourself while hanging on the couch. Snuggle up time!!

You are right tho....a 100 deg heat is hot with or without humidity lol and I know here when ya open that door on some days and walk out it is like walking into a blast furnace. I know you are the same!!

DE, burgers for you and the dogs...lucky dogs!
Hey get that retirement sooner than later....time to kick back, new adventures and all that and it is fun to have a big change in your life. Hope DH retires soon for ya!! Great job on getting rid of stuff. Minimalist type here and I ditch all the time. My house is very controlled now but he barns and garages, yikes Still got tractors and parts to sell off....the big old backhoe to sell, and so much more. Of course that is hubby's domain mostly and notice it ain't done yet?? If it was me (and I believe I will take it on later) I would have it all sold and gone by now LOL

Bernie, holy wow! A boat to get to DS house and luckily the house itself is not flooded out yet. That is horrible!! And then the AC craps out.....that is just wild in your neck of the woods!
Hope everything comes thru ok for everyone!!!!

HI ALL
nothing much again today
finishing off laundry, bed sheets etc today.
swim later

doing bacon cheese omelet whenever and got some nice country style pork ribs for the oven later for dinner. Rare I use the oven in very hot summer times but I want them. I prefer oven over crockpot so I am gonna turn on that oven tonight LOL

Got to replace RV alarm. Propane/carbon alarm keeps going off at weird times. SO LOUD! Been getting worse, was going off short blasts for no reason....heck it went off yesterday around 5am and hubby reset before he went to work. Then I heard it around 8 and it didn't cut off til around 10. (yes I didn't even bother with it ) Where it is parked near the house the sound didn't bother me. What a pain tho...to the RV shop it goes for replacement. usual stupid crap!

everyone have a fine day!!
  #1882   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 06:15
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Sunday, 16 July 2017

Happy Day, Warriors!

Wishing each of you a totally spectacular day in every single way possible!

Stay Warrior STRONG!

Carb-Free Food for Thought:

"Don’t put off until TOMORROW what you can do TODAY!"
~ unknown

Onward and DOWNWARD, WARRIORS! We've GOT THIS! Woot! Woot!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

De:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Beautiful afghans Jo. Wow, what do you do with all of those?
Thanks, De! I just give them away as gifts (baby showers, weddings, B'days, etc)... doesn't cost me much to make and I like doing 'em! It's very therapeutic, keeps my fingers nimble to play the guitar!
Quote:
I got my yard mowed and started sorting closets. What a big mess I take everything out and go through it all, seeing what I want to keep & put back or get rid of, either donating or throwing stuff away.
Wow you are busy busy! I did the same thing you did with your closet earlier this summer...
Quote:
Still don't know when or if we are going to move. For now we are staying put & DH has not retired yet or put in paperwork to retire. One of these days!!!!
You'll keep us posted with any new developments I hope!

Has your DH talked about what he wants to do when he retires, I mean in terms of all the time on his hands...

Retirement is kinda of a mixed blessing... no more having to work for "the man" but then what do you do with all that extra time... it's scary for some peeps...
Quote:
I grilled some burgers tonight for us & the dogs they love 'Em 🐶 🐶
Wow you spoil your furbabies as much as I spoil my lil ole man, Chico...

Berni:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Jo... gorgeous afgans ! Just think creating beautiful pieces of work and pedaling for good health to boot!
Thanks, Berni!

You know me, I can't sit and do nothing or pedal and do nothing, that would be TORTURE for sure!
Quote:
Jo, my kiddos have both got Netflix they love it!
Me too. My youngest DD gave me her password so I use hers... I love it b/c I HATE commercials esp the food ones and I get to watch shows I've never seen before.

Imma binge watching Grey's Anatomy... heard of it, but never watched it on "regular" TV.
Quote:
I am always cleaning and purging but I am a minimalist so if I am not using it off it goes!
Imma minimalist too only b/c I hate to clean esp "dust collectors" etc... it's truly a conundrum b/c I love a clean house, hate the cleaning part of that... but I do it anyways.... Thanks goodness it doesn't take me long to clean!

Speaking of minimalists, hell, if I remember correctly, Karen is one of us too. She didn't EVEN put her pictures back up on the wall after she painted her room(s)!
Quote:
Flooding is bad by my DS place and the water only crested late last night! We have been sandbagging all around the house. So far house is dry! But you have to take a boat 🚣🏻 to get to the place!
DD Air conditioner went out yesterday ! Holy Hannah when it rains it pours!
Man oh man, your poor DD! Hope her AC doesn't cost too much to repair and that the waters starts receding quickly!
Quote:
I am going to walk the doggies and head back by DS more sandbagging at dawn!
Wish I was there b/c I sure would be helping you guys sandbag!

Karen:
Quote:
JO, you had me laughing cause yes I did buy a shepard's crook as a joke present for hubby many many moons ago when farming and I still got it somewhere down in the barns HA
OMG that's to ding dang funny!

Quote:
450 for all that work is not bad at all. I would at least nearly double it for that kind of work so you did very well I think, and I hear ya on the ladder, after before, I wouldn't do it either!! You got away nice on price for all that!
They only wanted $350, I paid $400... so I made out better than you thought! But you're right; that was a heck of a lot of work and they did a beautiful job...
Quote:
You got a great memory...yea that was the bathroom leak I mentioned way way long ago I just love Rick that he just comes, does the work fast, is super cheap and does great work. We hang onto this guy!!
at memory....well it was so ironic, you all are renovating your bathroom and your roof leaks in the same room... like Berni said literally for the both of you:

When it rains it pours for reals!
Quote:
The afghans are so pretty! I bet all the people who receive them love them cause they are great to just throw over yourself while hanging on the couch. Snuggle up time!!
Exactly! Who doesn't like a nice colorful snuggle-ly afghan made with love?
Quote:
You are right tho....a 100 deg heat is hot with or without humidity lol and I know here when ya open that door on some days and walk out it is like walking into a blast furnace. I know you are the same!!
That's so true! But it's a DRY HEAT!
Quote:
Minimalist type here and I ditch all the time. My house is very controlled now but he barns and garages, yikes
That's what I told Berni in my post to her today! I KNEW you were one of us!

Gosh we all have so MUCH in common, isn't that really cool???
Quote:
Rare I use the oven in very hot summer times but I want them. I prefer oven over crockpot so I am gonna turn on that oven tonight LOL
I agree, there are some things that really don't go over well cooked in the crock pot!

Enjoy your pork ribs!
Quote:
Got to replace RV alarm. Propane/carbon alarm keeps going off at weird times. SO LOUD! Been getting worse, was going off short blasts for no reason....heck it went off yesterday around 5am and hubby reset before he went to work. Then I heard it around 8 and it didn't cut off til around 10. (yes I didn't even bother with it ) Where it is parked near the house the sound didn't bother me. What a pain tho...to the RV shop it goes for replacement. usual stupid crap!
Wow what a bummer!

Hope it doesn't interfere with your RV adventure to the lake week after next!

fox: Hope we didn't scare you off!

Last edited by Just Jo : Sun, Jul-16-17 at 06:17. Reason: Option F: Fixin' Flippin' typos ~ as usual! Pfffffffffft!
  #1883   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 07:31

BF:

JO only 400 total, well darn right ya did great for all that work done and bet you love the new look of the soffits and such. Sprucing up the place always gives it a nice feel! We painted our shutters a few years ago and I love the nice new fresh look, but my mind is thinking, hmm, I kinda want a new color now HAHA but will wait another year to get the good use out of this job we did!

We do have alot in common. I like that

some are nearer to retirement etc.
we are prefer minimal type situations
we are all carby sensitive and need control
we are all kinda controllers in our own way

yea we all fit together good
  #1884   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 08:34

BF:

Morning...

Not a minimalist here, just a wanna be we have a lot of stuff, but I do like a clean house for sure! Gotta get rid of a whole lot of stuff if we ever move & downsize. We have a big house. Smaller would be nice. Getting rid of stuff feels good. I have a pile ready to donate.

Bernie, sorry to hear about all that flooding. Keeping good thoughts for your family!

Happy Sunday all, we have a family get together today. Tell ya about it later.

Have a great Sunday all.
  #1885   ^
Old Sun, Jul-16-17, 21:00

BF:

Sunday Evening...

Update...So I thought we were done having grandkids, but I was wrong. We have a new one on the way. We got to attend the gender reveal today and it's a BOY. So here we go again ...the more the merrier. This one makes number 5.

We had a nice BBQ at their house this evening. Salmon and steak for me. Very good!

#1886   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 06:53
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Talking Monday, 17 July 2017

I'll get the ball rollin' this morning...

Happy Monday, Warriors!

Hope everyone is doing well and wishing each of you a totally kick Azz, BAD Azz 100% OP day as usual!

Stay Warrior STRONG!

"The greatest SABOTEUR in my life is ME - I can't blame anyone else when I eat OFF PLAN."
~ Bonnie OFS 06.27.2017

Karen:
Quote:
JO only 400 total, well darn right ya did great for all that work done and bet you love the new look of the soffits and such. Sprucing up the place always gives it a nice feel!
"Sprucing up" to me implies "cosmetic". What I mean is that this was much needed repair but it did improve what it looks like in those areas... KWIM??
Quote:
We painted our shutters a few years ago and I love the nice new fresh look, but my mind is thinking, hmm, I kinda want a new color now HAHA but will wait another year to get the good use out of this job we did!
What color did you paint 'em and what color do you want them now? Stutters really do add a lot to the "look" of a house for sure!
Quote:
We do have alot in common. I like that

some are nearer to retirement etc.
we are prefer minimal type situations
we are all carby sensitive and need control
we are all kinda controllers in our own way

yea we all fit together good
Hey that's probably why we've all gotten along so well together all these years, eh???

You do realize we've known each other going on at least 3 years now??? That's saying something!

On another note: Hey where the heck are you this morning? You usually beat me in here...

De:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelaneyLC
Not a minimalist here, just a wanna be we have a lot of stuff, but I do like a clean house for sure! Gotta get rid of a whole lot of stuff if we ever move & downsize. We have a big house. Smaller would be nice. Getting rid of stuff feels good. I have a pile ready to donate.
at minimalist wannabe! Right ON, sista!

I equate house size to the size of my purse, the bigger my purse the MORE crap I put in that sucker. Now I carry a purse only big enough to stash my credit card, some cash and my smart phone!
Quote:
Update...So I thought we were done having grandkids, but I was wrong. We have a new one on the way. We got to attend the gender reveal today and it's a BOY. So here we go again ...the more the merrier. This one makes number 5.
WOW WOW WOW! Huge CONGRATS on grandbaby #5!

So now you'll have 3 girls and 2 boys! How lovely for you and your fam! When's the new baby due??

Best wishes to your DIL & DS during the pregnancy! How did the two sibs handle the news???
Quote:
We had a nice BBQ at their house this evening. Salmon and steak for me. Very good!

Berni: Hope everything went well at your DD's yesterday with the flood/AC and that you got a chance to just chil-lax to take care of YOU, my friend!

hm6: Hope you're doing well and that you're finally back from your camping trip!
  #1887   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 08:24

Plan: Atkins '72 version'
Stats: 264/232.2/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 28%

IM BACK!!!!! and boy does it feel good to sleep in!!!!!

Hello warriors
Hope everyone had a great weekend!

I'm mad at myself..... I went from 204.5 to 207.5

I ate what food was bought as in brats,hotgogs etc...
I should have known that just those little carbs would throw me out of ketosis and I guess it did!!!

MOVING on.....

Camping was fun and I have a nice tan
The heat was a real butt kicker!!! We did sleep in a RV but most of our time was spent outdoors in the blaring SUN. I felt I was going to MELT!!! instant sweat made my clothing wet all day long so I am happy to report I am dry this AM and couldn't be happier about that

Whipping my BUTT back in gear and charging forward to getting below 200!!!! My mini goal challenge is ON!!
  #1888   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 03:22

Plan: Atkins 72 induction
Stats: 225/125/125 Female 5"8
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello warriors,

How is everyone doing today?

Crazy busy with work, flooding and planning services for my brother!

De... congrats on becoming a grandparent again! They are fun and keep you young!
Hm6... Yepper and of those meats with filler put the weight on me quick! I have no doubt that jumping back
On HCA-72 will get the scale moving!

Karen... how you doing dear warrior friend!

Jo... I have been sandbagging all weekend sleep like the deD. River crest on Wednesday so then we know full extent of damage.
This week I am back to working half virtual and half in Chicago. Brutal but I am covering for my co-worker who is off on leave. Lost her husband in April.
Have a terrific Tuesday warriors and take care of yourself!
  #1889   ^
Old Tue, Jul-18-17, 05:52
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Default Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Happy Tuesday, Warriors!

Wishing everyone a totally terrific Tuesday in every single way possible!

Stay Warrior STRONG!

The huge differences (between successful LCers and those that aren’t) are commitment, patience & self-respect.

Those things are tougher to learn than carb counting, etc.

~ bkloots (Barbara) 06.15.2017

Karen: Hey girl!!!

Hope everything is well on your side of the US! You sure have me worried since you haven't posted since Sunday and that's not like you, unless you are on vaca! And I know you don't go on your next RV adventure until next week... Hope you get a chance to pop in soon...

hm6: Good to have you back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindman6
I'm mad at myself..... I went from 204.5 to 207.5

I ate what food was bought as in brats,hotgogs etc...
I should have known that just those little carbs would throw me out of ketosis and I guess it did!!!
It may not entirely be the carbs those things have... but the sodium as well. Stay 100% OP and you'll be fine!
Quote:
Camping was fun and I have a nice tan
The heat was a real butt kicker!!! We did sleep in a RV but most of our time was spent outdoors in the blaring SUN. I felt I was going to MELT!!! instant sweat made my clothing wet all day long so I am happy to report I am dry this AM and couldn't be happier about that
at dry this AM! Oh but I do know what you mean! I lived in FL for several yrs and the humidity + the heat is no fun!
Quote:
Whipping my BUTT back in gear and charging forward to getting below 200!!!! My mini goal challenge is ON!!
You go girl!

Berni:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2014
Crazy busy with work, flooding and planning services for my brother!
Wow you have a lot on your plate... Once again let me extended my heartfelt condolences to your and your fam...
Quote:
Jo... I have been sandbagging all weekend sleep like the deD. River crest on Wednesday so then we know full extent of damage.
Sorry that you had to sandbag all w/e & I hope the damage to your DD's house isn't too bad!
Quote:
This week I am back to working half virtual and half in Chicago. Brutal but I am covering for my co-worker who is off on leave. Lost her husband in April.
Sorry to hear about your co-worker's husband and you having to work in Chicago...
  #1890   ^
Old Wed, Jul-19-17, 05:58

BF:

HM6, yea I am thinking sodium like JO mentioned. Plus with high heat you tend to sweat but hold liquid also. I have the same situation when we go RVing and I don't worry about it cause any lbs like that ya gain leave very fast when ya get back to your normal routine at home. Glad you had tons of fun camping!!

DE, grandbaby 5!! There ya go, another cutie to goo goo over

Bernie your life sounds like total chaos right now!! So sorry you are going thru these hard times. I hope after today water flooding recedes and everyone comes out of this on the good side!!! I know you need a much needed rest soon!!!

JO, oh I hear ya it was needed repairs!! I hate when things 'have to be done', just means you HAVE to have them attended LOL I like projects where you can wait , put them off, HA HA One reason can't wait for my RV freedom, we will be without a house for the first time and I just can't wait to walk away...never to use a friggin' lawn mover ever again in my lifetime but that has to wait tho for now!!

HI GUYS
just super busy
kiddo is doing friend things and keeps me running here and there
hubby is a pain as in he has alot of back pain and is moping around and I feel for him, but geez ya know. It is what it is after all these years of back troubles and it seems when he goes down he kinda takes me down also LOL

ugh you know guys, just too much this and that but all good here!

I made the best little chicken meal the other day. Just flattened out a chicken breast, sautee in pan, threw some crumbled bacon I made the other day on it and small bit of melted cheddar on it...all with a little sprinkle of cajun seasoning. delish. I think more chicken is in my future

have a great day all!
Closed Thread