Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 20:40

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Smile weightlifting

so starting this WOE yet again, always getting off this WOE I can't even say how many times i have restarted Atkins, or LC, and It's not that I plan to get off of it ever, I just struggle with it. I have recently joined a gym and was wondering if I should focus on strictly cardio at first or strictly weight lifting? There is a lot of stuff on here saying cardio isn't that great for weight loss. I don't wanna waste my time at the gym , please help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 22:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd go for weight lifting. Do 5-10 minutes of cardio first to warm up. I have one day a week I do cardio & resistance in the pool, but then 2 days a week it is weight lifting. IMHO cardio isn't effective and can slow down your metabolism AND increase your food intake.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 07:40

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Ditto Nancy. Weight lifting, resistance training, whatever you do to build muscle will be a great enhancement to your LC way of eating.

By the way,you're not alone in struggling withLC as a lifestyle. More than once, I've said I'll never fall back into old habits. And then I do. As of now, I'm doing better than ever at grooving my LC swing. Life is too short not to do it as well as we can.

Happy to share eating and exercise experiences right here. You've come to a good place.
Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 11:10

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

This is my opinion not a good hard and fast fact.

I think (and find) that cardio makes me feel hungry after, and that I end up eating more. To put into context, I burn off only 100 ish calories when I run 1 mile, now that is nothing, and will have little impact on my weight loss. However, I will FEEL hungry after it, and it takes me a lot of will power to not increase my food intake.

When I lift weights, I do not get the same feeling of huger after. So for me, it is a no-brainer (or so you would think!). I still do cardio and if you read my journal you will see that now I do a lot, but it took me a long time to get there and as I say a lot of will power to cope with it.

So my advice (sorry about the long winded post). Lift weight, increase muscle mass, increase BMR, tone up, feel good, and if you have a gym that has a sauna, use it, as the raised body temp can also reduce hunger post work out :-).
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 11:24

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I agree that a program of mostly weight lifting feels the best.

Perhaps it's time to have fun learning your body and learning fitness. How about experiments with programs?

3 weeks weightlifting focus

3 weeks cardio focus

3 weeks Primal Blueprint fitness style (mixed)

and then see how you feel and what results you get.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 11:40

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I don't overlook "cardio" altogether. I do a brisk walk 3-4x a week. Recently DH got the old treadmill running, and I'll be using that during the cold weather. Treadmill can be fun because punching the buttons to change speed, incline, etc. makes the time go by. And it isn't as strenuous as walking or running on pavement because the treadmill does half the work.

Getting the heart and lungs pumping and the body warmed up is an excellent health habit. But it isn't especially practical for "calorie burning."
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 12:43

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

Getting the heart and lungs pumping and the body warmed up is an excellent health habit. But it isn't especially practical for "calorie burning."

That is a very very good point
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 12:49

BF:

Thanks for all this helpful advice everybody. I do agree that I did always get hungrier after cardio, but if I am counting carbs and not calories I don't see where it should be that big of an issue, I do walk on the treadmill but not at a very fast pace, I use the elliptical for my cardio burn, I was on the elliptical an hour today and yesterday, and then i hit the treadmill( I had yet to read these yet). I haven't gotten any of the blue print books yet, I have read some stuff on marks daily apple, well anyways I'm rambling but the elliptical says I am burning 700 calories in an hour. I don't know how accurate the calorie burn is on those but I am assuming I am probably burning less, but let;s say I am only burrning half that its still not bad. Then go home and eat some protein and veggies? how could that go wrong ? I do like lifting weights gonna start lifting more tomorrow after reading all these posts. I like weights better anyways. I just want results
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-14, 12:35

BF:

I will be going to the gym today and life weights the whole time, I will try this out for a few weeks and see where it gets me
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-14, 13:38

BF:

Neato. Hope you get those results and let us know!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-14, 21:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Be sure to track your progress as far as weights and reps go. It is fun to see improvement. If you're expecting a lot of weight loss, you almost certainly won't see it. But gaining muscle is very healthy.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 14:04

BF:
Smile great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I agree that a program of mostly weight lifting feels the best.

Perhaps it's time to have fun learning your body and learning fitness. How about experiments with programs?

3 weeks weightlifting focus

3 weeks cardio focus

3 weeks Primal Blueprint fitness style (mixed)

and then see how you feel and what results you get.

thanks for the idea , thanks i will try to mix it up!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 14:07

BF:
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Be sure to track your progress as far as weights and reps go. It is fun to see improvement. If you're expecting a lot of weight loss, you almost certainly won't see it. But gaining muscle is very healthy.

thanks for advice. yes i am trying to lose weight and get fit, I am also not going to weigh myself for awhile so i'm not discouraged while i, getting healthy,and fit.

if I get fit and eat right then the weightloss and inches should come off most importantly I'll be fit and hopefully lean!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 14:09

BF:
Default yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
Neato. Hope you get those results and let us know!

compared to past workouts i killed it yesterday and I'm rather proud of myself, let me not toot my own horn though until im writing my success story though
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 22:19

BF:

congrats on the great feeling workout.