Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 06:14

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I have not been on this thread before but I do feel I have much in common with the posters here. I lost about 27 lb on low carb but without ever going on induction. It took me about 9 months to lose the weight and I kept it off for a couple of years. Now I have put back about seven pounds over the last couple of years. I have never given up on low carb but sometimes it's harder than other times. I do allow myself the odd treat but it's always harder to stick to the WOE afterwards so I really wonder if it's worth it. I agree that it's important not to be constantly in a state of food-related stress. The really good thing about LC in its less moderate (i.e more strict) forms is that it really does take the cravings away, physically. The problem is the mental and emotional cravings. We are used to seeing carbs as comfort and when we need comfort we think carbs. Also I noticed that a low carb site I subscribed to on FB mainly shows mouth-watering pictures of supposedly low carb versions of very sinful looking food. I have now blocked its posts from my feed because it was totally counterproductive.
It is true that this journey has no end and from that point of view we must live and not live for the day we are thinner. Even if we get there, we have to keep on trucking as we have all experienced - I imagine - what happens when we stop. We have to find a way of eating that is satisfying mentally as well as physically. That will be different for everyone. I am still working on it and I hope you all find your LC way! :-)
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 12:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good to see you on this thread Lulumae. I agree with your ponderings on LC. It really isn't a one size fits all. If we can find a way that takes us in the direction we want then-fantastic. ``You're right there is no end to it we need to understand we can't go back to the typical carb way. So if we can find something sustainable then .
  #258   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-17, 12:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
I have not been on this thread before but I do feel I have much in common with the posters here. I lost about 27 lb on low carb but without ever going on induction. It took me about 9 months to lose the weight and I kept it off for a couple of years. Now I have put back about seven pounds over the last couple of years. I have never given up on low carb but sometimes it's harder than other times. I do allow myself the odd treat but it's always harder to stick to the WOE afterwards so I really wonder if it's worth it. I agree that it's important not to be constantly in a state of food-related stress. The really good thing about LC in its less moderate (i.e more strict) forms is that it really does take the cravings away, physically. The problem is the mental and emotional cravings. We are used to seeing carbs as comfort and when we need comfort we think carbs. Also I noticed that a low carb site I subscribed to on FB mainly shows mouth-watering pictures of supposedly low carb versions of very sinful looking food. I have now blocked its posts from my feed because it was totally counterproductive.
It is true that this journey has no end and from that point of view we must live and not live for the day we are thinner. Even if we get there, we have to keep on trucking as we have all experienced - I imagine - what happens when we stop. We have to find a way of eating that is satisfying mentally as well as physically. That will be different for everyone. I am still working on it and I hope you all find your LC way! :-)

What a great post! All so true.
  #259   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 04:47

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Thank you esw and Barb for your kind feedback. I am really living this now, as are you I guess. This week I'm doing better. I'm feeling more clear headed and more optimistic and I really think that's down to less carbs and certainly to less sugar. I haven't weighed since Tuesday and I don't want to take a fall so I'm going to wait till Saturday - at least then it will be Saturday, that's the theory! - but my jeans feel a millimetre or two looser.
But I'm in this for keeps, there's no doubt about that! :-)
  #260   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-17, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Way to go, Lulumae. Getting the mindset is 9/10 of the battle. Knowing you're not alone in this is the other tenth. This is a great forum where you can find your people.

The scale can be a false friend. I weigh every day, knowing the scale will fluctuate a little bit. The way your clothes fit is great feedback. The millimeters add up!
  #261   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 07:40

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I don't weigh every day...more like a couple times a week, but I can usually feel if I'm going to be up or down. I know I will have to avoid starchy carbs for the rest of my life, and I hope to be able to avoid them more and more as time goes on. I would love to be one of those who follow induction continuously, but in my heart, I know that's not me.
  #262   ^
Old Sun, Jul-02-17, 13:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaCarolSue
but in my heart, I know that's not me.

Strangely I was thinking about something similar this evening.
I realised having carbs (any kind I wanted) and occasionally do, helps me to actually stay on my particular path. The thought of restriction is unsettling, but the thought of never being able to eat particular every day foods again is enough to send me in the opposite direction.
I know some say it's a slippery slope tasting/eating from the (dark side) but the surest way I have of skidding down that slope is to abstain.

So basically I aim for lowish carbs, mostly saving them for the evening. That works two ways, something to look forward to and satisfies me. It would appear I am one of the lucky ones that can eat some foods that are clearly triggers for others. Trial and error and always ongoing but this is slowly working for the moment. Who knows tomorrow!

Last edited by esw : Mon, Jul-03-17 at 00:11.
  #263   ^
Old Thu, Jul-06-17, 08:30

I am facing the fact that I have not lost anything for a very long time, and accepting that something has to change if I want to weigh less than I do now. I'm not sure if it's cutting carbs back more, or something else, but I have to start experimenting.

I stopped eating sweets a couple years ago. I now eat my morning eggs without toast, I have learned to enjoy a burger without the bun, and when eating out, I order 2 veggies with my meal instead of a starch choice. But I know carbs hang out it other places that are not as obvious. There's also the possibility of when or how much I'm eating rather than what I'm eating. And my diabetes meds are known to cause weight gain. Whatever it is, I would like to figure it out and make some changes that will start the scale in a downward direction.
  #264   ^
Old Sat, Jul-08-17, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

I have been reading all the posts...very interesting. the thing that is most interesting though is the fact that so many people are battling this food thing, myself included. I have relaxed my standards even more since posting last...eat rye bread at lunch or have a wrap...I eat lots more vegies than I used to...I haven't gained any weight , mainly because I started lifting weights, and I do an in=place walking dvd...I don't really diet anymore, just mindful eating and more exercising. and one rule that has helped me most I think. the only time I have so called "goodies" is on special occasions, fruit is my new sweet. good luck to all.
  #265   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 07:53

Hi Dottie. You were the one who started this thread two years ago. I just read your first post, when you referred to your "life without bread" plan. Do you think including the bread now is what is making the difference? I know that bread is a big downfall for me. I really shouldn't be eating it at all as it spikes my blood sugar so high. I avoid it much more than I used to, but not 100%. I buy this sprouted grain bread and keep it in the freezer for when I just have to have it. It lasts me a couple months. But recently I was reading something that said right out "Get that Ezekiel Bread out of the house." Like they were seeing into my kitchen, LOL. And I know they are right. There is no reason why I EVER have to eat bread. I have this type of comfort when I know something is available to me if I want it, but if i realize it's gone, that's when I want it the most. I have heard a lot of people say that same thing. You don't miss the water til the well runs dry, or something like that.
  #266   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-17, 09:14

Plan: Low cal, carb <50
Stats: 211/208/140 Female 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Semi low carb here too. I count calories above all else while eliminating obvious carbs (bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, sweets). I don't stress over carbs in veggies or seasonings, etc. and if I eat a bite of carbs or a piece of bread it's not the end of the world. I don't care anything about being in ketosis. I take a stress free approach.

I lost 130 lbs seven years ago doing this with weight lifting, but then had back surgery and became addicted to alcohol and gained slowly gained over the years. Now I'm ready to ditch the booze and start respecting myself again.
  #267   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 06:41

Hi Camarogrl. I am considering adding some weight training to my routine. I feel that I've lost a lot of muscle tone and want to get it back to keep myself mobile.

I have really gotten away from alcohol because it doesn't mix with the meds I'm on. I do have a drink or two on holidays, but always worry about it. So many meds say "No alcohol."

I wish you luck!
  #268   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-17, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: 4 corners
Stats: 203/190/135 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress:

pacarolsue, you know each person is so different, you just need to find what works for you. I got tired of denying myself a simple whole wheat tortilla, or a little bit of sara lee bread...I eat beans now instead of potatoes...I know they are carbie but they don't raise blood sugar like potatoes and are very delicious with salsa and a little cheese melted on top. I don't drink juices but I eat fruit like berries and melon. something that seems to help me tremendously is adding a very small amount of sharp cheese, or a little cream on my berries. the key for me is small amounts just to dress it up abit. I don't drink diet pop anymore either. I have switched to Perrier fizzy water with abit of lemon. but again, I emphasize, people who are addicted to carbs probably cant have them around at all and I would never say severe carb restriction as a bad thing. it just didn't work for me.
  #269   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 03:02

BF:
Default So how are we all doing?

Wondering how you are all getting on with semi-lowcarb? Enjoy reading all your thoughts and input on it! It sometimes feels a bit lonely hanging out on this thread as it's not in line with the main ethos of the forum. I worry that I'm a one band rebel . Or someone who has yet to see the light!

For me this way seems to suit my personality! Interesting to see how we all approach it. I am probably more counting calories, like Camarogrl, and being careful with carbs without actually trying not to go over a certain number. I am fortunate enough not to be dealing with diabetes, I see some of you are. Sometimes think it's more about being at peace in our own body rather than the number on the scale. To be at peace though I need to find a way of eating that feels comfortable and sustainable without end. It's either that or slowly getting fatter and more disgusted with my inability to control eating! So I'm continuing on the semi-lowcarb route. What about you?
  #270   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 10:44

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hello esw, I will speak for myself. I love this semi-lowcarb style. My version is pretty much low carb everything, and high fat foods. I do not count cals or weigh things and so on. I am not a diabetic also. Now if I go on a date night with my DW, I have some popcorn at the movie and a diet coke or diet dr pepper and not stress about it.

Now that whole day I eat VLC and no snacks (I do not snack anyway). This does not make me spin out of control and go off plan. I go right back on my plan and have been doing great.

Exercise wise, I wake up at 5:10 am each morning; walk for 30 plus mins, then I walk for 45 more mins during lunch. I eat at 8 am each morning, and stop eating at 7 pm. This give me a nice 13-15 hour fast if I wait to eat some mornings.

I am happy, I feel no bloated, I can go out and have a things at a family event. I do stay away from sugar, flour, and so on 96% of the time on my plan, but when it’s date night I have a taste of somethings I like, but never go over board and sink the LC ship I am sailing on.

I am losing weight, working out, and feeling better, sleeping better, more alert and ready to go go go.