Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-12-12, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Chocolate custard under 2 carbs

3 large eggs
2 cups unsweetened almond milk, heated up
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder,older can of Hersheys claimed to only have 1 carb per tbsp
1 tsp vanilla extract
2.1 ml liquid stevia (mine was alcohol free) this was 6 times the stated equivalent of a teaspoon of sugar, or 1.5 full droppers.

Whisk eggs in a heavy bottomed pan; add in the stevia and cocoa powder, beating till smooth. Add in vanilla. Cook over medium heat just until first bubbles of a boil. Pour into four individual cups and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

Carb Pro Fat PECC Cal
1.6 0.8 1.9 1.6 27

The other cans of unsweetened cocoa I have lists different carbs amounts, so this could could have a few mare carbs on the total recipe, with other brands.

It tastes like real pudding and it set up normally.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 08:36

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sounds real good
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 08:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Interesting! I've never been able to get eggs to set-up making chocolate custard, at least, not without milk. The issue is that the whites and the yolks set up at different temperatures. The yolks start to firm up around 160' and the whites around 175' or so. So in order to get the whites set, the yolk would start to overcook and you'd end up with partially scrambled eggs.

Adding an acid, like lemon juice, lowers the setting point of the whites so at 160' both will set up nicely.

There must be something in almond milk that helps them set like in dairy milk.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-13-12, 09:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 11%

I started it over a double boiler (one large Pyrex bowl over an inverted small one, in a heavy pot, with boiling water.) This was taking a day and an age, so I rechecked Fanny Farmer and they cook custards with milk right in the pan, so I switched. Perhaps I should have mentioned this, as it may have par cooked the eggs.

An alternative way to cook such would be small ramekin in a water bath in the oven. I saw a few low carb recipes with this method.