Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-21-10, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I made this yesterday as we have a visitor for dinner tonight. Man, is this cake ever good! As was stated earlier in the thread, it didn't rise up enough to slice and ice into two layers, so I just iced as a single layer cake. Going to make two next time and ice between the layers for visual impact. Mmmm. Thanks for posting this recipe. And BTW, the frosting is to die for! Hubby liked both the cake and frosting, too!!!!!!!! BTW I used drained cannellini beans in mine as that's all I had in the house.

HMMM, I have cannellini beans in my pantry also, I might have to make this again, made it last weekend and had last piece yesterday with black beans. I thought it was a little salty tasting, might have been the beans. I also am going to use the frosting recipe the next time as I used a cream cheese frosting last time.

We can have our cake and eat it to......Love this WOE.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-10, 09:23
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

I found the cake itself a tad dry and thought I might add a couple Tbs. butter next time? But then a friend said she added 1/2 c. mayo to this and got a pretty moist cake. That sounds like a lot to add, but I'm gonna try adding maybe 1/4c. mayo to my next baking of this.

You'll love this to-die-for frosting! I'm tossing out all my other chocolate frosting recipes!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-10, 15:02

Plan:
Stats: 290/191/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I found the cake itself a tad dry and thought I might add a couple Tbs. butter next time? But then a friend said she added 1/2 c. mayo to this and got a pretty moist cake. That sounds like a lot to add, but I'm gonna try adding maybe 1/4c. mayo to my next baking of this.

You'll love this to-die-for frosting! I'm tossing out all my other chocolate frosting recipes!

Whatever you do, don't add mayo. Add a little oil to it or butter but not mayo.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-10, 07:20
Patience Personified

May I ask why you recommend that? Other cake recipes occasionally call for mayo. BTW, I use homemade mayo (pure egg and oil). How could a bit of egg hurt anything?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-28-10, 11:14

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I am making this again for xmas. I used soy beans this time and added some prunes (not LC, I know) for extra moisture. I am making 2 9" cakes because otherwise it's too short! It looks like it'll be super moist this time.

I also ended up adding more cocoa, just seemed like the batter needed it. Less sweetener though because the prunes are sweet.

I also made an espresso custard for the middle. I hope the cakes don't slide off!

Just wondering how the cake tasted when it was eaten? Were the prunes a success? I have made this in the past, and just as everyone else has mentioned, it was a bit dry and didn't rise much. I am toying with the idea of making it again, and adding either some prunes (did you blend them up?) and/or the mayo. And possibly something to help it rise higher...

Although I gotta admit, despite the dryness and flatness, the cake made according to the original recipe still disappeared like a snowball in July....
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-29-10, 09:14
Patience Personified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skip
Although I gotta admit, despite the dryness and flatness, the cake made according to the original recipe still disappeared like a snowball in July....

Mine disappeared pretty quick, too, right by the original recipe.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-10, 18:08

Stats: 204/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 57%

I'm drooling over that HEALTHY CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 06:44

Stats: 211/148/122 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Help!!!

I made this wonderful cake and the frosting and it was perfect. Well I ran out of erythritol before i got the whole cake frosted and so I used powdered stevia/splenda mix and it is bitter! I need to finish frosting this cake for later today. What can I do??
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-10, 07:52

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

I use liquid Stevia (Nunaturals) plus Ez-Sweetz and it doesn't taste bitter at all. I do add more than the specified recipe.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-11, 23:13

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I finally made this. It's pretty good. I didn't follow the instructions; I just put it all in the blender and the resulting cake is a bit heavy. There's no beaniness, though. I would describe the texture as being like stale cake, but without the stale taste. The sugar alcohol is slightly cloying, but that's just the nature of it. Maybe the amount of sugar alcohol could be cut down by using something different inside the cake and just using the erythritol in the frosting.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 14:11

BF:

I made this before Christmas eve, left for Christmas and came back to the leftovers nearly a week later. What I've discovered is that it's much better if I slightly warm it in the microwave or leave a piece at room temp for a few hours. I wrote in my post above that the texture is like stale cake -- that's only true if I eat it cold, apparently.

This really is pretty good.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 18:52

BF:

I made the sister recipe to this cake: yellow cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Very, very good. The addition of coconut flour to the beans makes a more crumbly, cake-like cake.

http://www.healthyindulgences.net/search/label/cupcakes

The frosting recipe is for 6 cupcakes, which is perfect so that you can freeze half the cupcakes.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-12, 22:29
Patience Personified

I've copied that recipe, too, Allison, with the intention of trying it sometime. Glad to hear it's also good. Lauren has such lovely recipes, I was pretty sure it would be good, too. Will definitely try it now that you've given it a thumbs up.