Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-02, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 166/160/130
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Great idea for those with kids

I have four very picky eater kids, most of whom live on pasta alone. I found right off that if I had to make them a seperate pasta or rice dish while I was making dinner, I wasn't able to really focus on my low carb cooking. Having a big pot of pasta boiling away when I was both hungry and trying to cook was too disruptive.

So! I found a time when I was both full and in a good diet mood and I made a big batch of mac-n-cheese, spagetti with red sauce and spagettie with cream sauce. I let it cool. Then, using large zip-lock sandwich bags, I put a serving in each bag and sealed it up.

Now I always have a few bags in the fridge and some in the freezer. This is a great way for the kids to eat what they want without me having to cook it every night - which eliminates any temptations that might arise and also lets me fully focus on making a tasty low-carb dinner.

Kim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 07:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/132/125
BF:
Progress: 83%

That's a good idea Kim. I'll try that. Now that my husband has joined me I find my poor kids are really getting the raw end of the deal. I try and cook two separate meals but sometimes it just doesn't happen - usually because I am not cooking for myself much either. Your idea is better than a bowl of cereal for them every night. Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 13:51
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 7 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was reading this and thought this is a great idea too!! I am just starting LC'ing and was getting a little grumpy when I had to cook for the rest of family which none of them needs to lose weight, if anything they need to gain it!!! So, I thought I would use this idea. Thank you so much for posting it!

Christy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 13:13
Registered Member

Stats: 264/255.5/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up Improves on my plan big time!

I had been pre-making the noodles or rice for my 5 yr old for the week into the fridge. Then when making food, I'd simply reach in and get a portion for his plate. I like the frozen ahead things because I often am not of a mind to cook. This improves on the make lots ahead for myself....makes a whole lot of sense! Thanks for telling us! Meri