Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 03:57

Plan: quit atkins
Stats: 123/121/110
BF:
Progress: 15%
Unhappy I Failed!

Hello all.
I am thankful for everybody on this site, who not knowingly informed and supported me on my lc journey. I have learned so much from everybody here, and quite impressed with the achievements.
Unfortunately I am not able to share my achievements with you.
After 9 weeks, I came to the conclusion that this way of eating is not suitable for me in terms of weight loss.
I have been doing the Atkins program, with an initial 6 kgs to lose. First two weeks of inductions I lost 3 of it, and needless to say I was ecstatic. Especially as the low-sugar attacks disappeared, I thought that was it for me from then on. Ever since then I have been so-called on a plateau, and during the last two weeks I gained 2 kgs back.
I cut on cheese long ago, cafeine --none since I started --, nuts were a weak point, avoided them except for the odd occasion like the tom, low carb bars --I had them just once in the beginning.
I might have been taking in too much protein, like 150-200 g. (I am 65 inches and 55 kg at the moment). It is twice the amount of my daily minimum. but to be honest that was the only thing I could eat after cutting first carbs, then cheese, nuts... no pork scratches (they have rusk in UK) no cheese, don't overdo the fat, etc...
My calorie intake was between 1200-1500.

And I am an extensive reader, I read not only almost all the lowcarb books available, but also the reasearch done on the subject by browsing the medical journals. So, I think I was doing it right. I do belive that this is the optimal diet, especially for those with insulin problems. But apparently not for me.

I do need to lose weight because I look big. I suspect my body fat is about 34% which is quite high for my 26 years of age.

wellm, what I need advice on is how to leave this way of eating. What I have in mind is not a low-fat/highcarb diet. I never used to eat rice pasta or potatoes, or any junk food anyway. but I need to know the safest strategy to introduce carbs in my diet.
if anybody has any advice to give, I would be grateful.

thanks again for everything.

I wish every success to you all.

Terri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Terri,

I always worry when I read posts like yours. At 5'5 and 116 pounds, you are already at the very bottom of the healthy weight scale. If you were to reach 105 pounds, you would be underweight, and quite probably risking your health.

It is quite common with low carbing that the body will stop losing once it reaches its "set point."

If you are truly convinced that you "look big," I think you have a serious problem with your body image. Seeking counselling about this would help you enormously.

As for your body fat, how about going to a gym and having it tested? While you are there, you could ask about some exercises to tone up. That might make you feel a bit better about yourself.

Remember, it is normal and healthy for women to have some fat. The supermodels and actresses we see are mostly underweight and many of them have serious eating disorders.

You should definitely stay eating low carb, because I believe it to be the healthiest way to eat. Try increasing your carbs by adding higher carb vegies such as peas (check with Fitday for others) and some whole grains.

I wish you all the very best.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 04:55

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 167/154/126 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi there Chicken,

I agree with Rosebud's comments - 116lbs is a nice low weight already... how tall are you again? I am 5.4" and my goal weight is 126lbs!! I know I can go a bit lower than this - but at my age (36) I want a weight that I can effectively maintain - and I like my curves ;-) lol... also the less you weigh the less you need to eat in order to maintain that weight - and I LIKE TO EAT...

Low-carbing is all about choosing a healthy lifestyle - avoiding processed foods - and concentrating on fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains etc... and many describe it as a correction diet. From what I understand it is not really a diet that will enable you to get below your natural weight.

But everyone is different and some people are more naturally slim than others....

... as rosebud said you might want to go to a gym and get your body fat percentage measured - and they can speak to you about sculpting/toning up - which might help more than trying to diet.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:23

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation You have not Failed

Hi Terri

It is always annoying when the scales do not go down when you would like and it is easy to blame it on this way of life. As Roz and Kahena have said you probably do not need to lose anymore weight, you probably just need to tone up your muscles so that you improve your body shape and self image. I certainly have found great benefit in going to the gym and doing Body Pump classes, amongst others.

Whilst you may have put on weight in the last couple of weeks this can be quite natural and is usually your body readjusting its water balance. Everyones weight goes up and down on a daily basis, as well as throughout the day.

You should continue to eat a basic low carb diet as it is healthy, eating less that 100 g of carbs a day. From what you have said this should not be to difficult. Add in additional vegetables, the odd potato, peas, some sweetcorn. Add in fruit, but if possible eat it with either fat or protein or as part of a meal.

Whilst you may not be in a good mood at present, take time to reflect on the comments made and decide what is the best way forward for you. I just wish I had known about this lifestyle when I was your age. I would not have ended up with the problems I have. Oh, and by the way, my own goal weight is so low as I'm only 4 ft 6 ins tall, so very much on the short side.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:41

BF:
Default thanks

Thanks to all three of you. It so kind of you reply with such sympathy, and so soon.
I do feel quite desperate at the moment actually. I don't know what to do.
I will try to think it over with a fresh state of mind later.
thanks again.
t
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 12:37

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

OMG.. I wish I was so skinny :-)

chicken:

All in all you had 13lb to lose, 9 weeks is just not enough time to lose all that weight in a healthy manner, I have another ~14lbs to lose, the experienced Atkineeres who are on maintenance now told me to expect to lose the last 14lb within 6 months!!!
we all have been through weight fluctuations after induction, this is due to small variations each day.

Its best not to look at this woe as a way to lose weight, think of it as a life time commitment, and relax.

Also I agree that the gym and upping your exercise is the best way to losing those stubborn last lbs... However, be warned that when you first take on exercises you will gain a couple of lbs in the first week, why don't you check out the exercise forum if you haven't done so already??
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 07:35

Stats: 273/238/154
BF:oh-my-god!/37%/24%
Progress: 29%
Default BMI 19.9%

Chicken,

I just put your numbers into the BMI calculator I use and you came out as 19.9 which is on the low side of ideal. I'm at 37% now and I'm a very big person so I knew you couldn't be at 34%.

You'd be marginally overweight above 25.8 and underweight at 19.1.

According to the Met Life insurance tables you should weigh between 127 and 141 to be at your ideal weight.

You may think you're overweight and may not be happy with your body, but being underweight isn't any better than being overweight... you risk your health at both extremes.

I would think that at your present weight all you may need is a bit of exercise to tone your muscles.

It would probably be a good idea to see your doctor for a recommendation of an ideal weight based on your frame size and see if your current level of exercise is adequate.

There are millions of people in the world who would love to weigh what you do now. From the information you've given you seem to be perfect in that respect and low carb is a good way to stay like that. Be happy with who you are and if you still want to change your appearance make sure you do so in ways that don't compromise your health.

Take care.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 11:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 222/210/130
BF:dont know
Progress: 13%

hi chicken
i'm sorry to hear about your disapointment at the diet but at 5foot 4 inches you are the same height as me and at 8stone 3ibs i wish i was in your shoes. I wiegh in at over 15 stone at the moment. and i hope to go back to around 9 stone were i felt pretty slim.
Ask your friends for an honest opinion of how you look.
I bet they will put your mind at rest. When i was your age i always thought i was fat but i wasnt it was just a bad self image.
Give yourself a break and look in the mirror and see the real you.
best of luck
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 01:07

BF:

Thanks for everybody who replied.
I know my BMI is within the normal range, but I do have fat on me -- it's not only body image. It's simply because of years and years of very low calorie dieting. I did the right thing last week and joined a gym to build up some muscle.
however my dissapointment prevails as the fat I seemed to have lost during the first few weeks of my lowcarb eating is back. I am bigger than I was last month. how in the world is that possible with this way of eating?
the only explanation I can come up with is that I was possibly eating too much. especially as I wasn't used to eating like this.
so I decided to calm down and give this thing another try. I am reducing my calorie intake and see what happens.
also I was feeling out of ketosis for a while ('the breath' has disappeared), so I ordered ketostix to be more methodical about the whole thing.
I just hope this is not a false hope. my fingers, my legs, everything is crossed.

thanks again for everyone who are sharing their thoughts with me.
I really wished I didn't come across as some spoiled brat, with my deceiving numbers. as most of you would share, the disappointment does bring me down dramatically. and I don't find it easy to share it with people who don't understand what I am saying.

I was wondering if there was anybody in the forum with a relatively lower BMI and experiencing my problems.

success to all.

terri
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 02:12

Lightbulb

Hi Terri

Glad you are thinking things over. Good for you in joining a gym. I am sure that going there two or three times a week will tone you up and make you look real good. Body image really is a personal thing and you need to feel happy with how you look.

Ketostix are fine, but don't over rely on them as they don't tell the full story. There is a good article on this in one of the books I have read and if you go to the first page of my journal there is a link to it in the index.

Just hang on in there. Body fat tends to move around your body and this two months I have put on a small amount around my hips, no idea why, but have lost real well on my thighs. Just keep focussed and things will happen for you, but there is no quick remedy.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 06:26

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

Hi Chicken, glad to hear that you are sticking with it. and for the record I didn't think you came across as spoilt at all - just someone who needs a little pick me up from a bunch of people here who care and understand what you are going through.

Anyway the gym is your best bet, the body pump classes like Anne mentioned are an excellent way to tone up (weights to music) but I would also suggest yoga. Get a long to a few yoga classes. I am from the gym technique that says no pain no gain.. so I used to laugh at yoga - thinking how can that help me I am not breaking into a sweat. After a 1.5 hours yoga session I felt cool calm and collected - and the next day boy did I ache!! and in muscles that I never knew existed

Also try out the exercise balls for toning up the 'mid' region (the bane of my life ) special k were doing on offer (ball and video) so I am waiting for mine, but plan to do that most evenings at home (be warned you will giggle!! as they can be damned hard to stay on) get them to show you at the gym first before you try it at home as they can make sure that you are doing it right.

Anyway the point she says... stay with what you are doing, some people do prefer to be lower than what the doctors, bmi records suggest. All I can say is listen to your body - does is sound healthy? If it does then you are ok but if it doesn't then maybe that weight to are setting your sites on is a little too low.

But just remember that muscle weighs more than fat so don't dispair leave the scales for a while and concentrate on the feeling good and looking good factor. Not how much you weigh

Anyway good luck and I for one (and I know the others think the same) want to know how you get on a good 3-6 weeks should transform you amazingly

Good luck

Sarah

Last edited by SarahWeb : Mon, Jun-09-03 at 06:29.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 11:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 222/210/130
BF:dont know
Progress: 13%

hi chicken
no never for one minute did i think you were spoilt , just a girl needing some support and knowledge that there are others feeling the same way.
Please believe me when i say we all feel the same and get down in the dumps too sometimes
so just come in here and let off some steam and it'l feel better,, promise

think positive
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:49

BF:

I have reduced my calorie intake between 900-1200, and my carb count down to induction levels.
my only treat is a small (half a cup) protein pudding, made with soy powder. I am not sure if I should be eating that.
it's been 3 days now, and I still feel quite bloated and big. despite my 4 litres of water intake.
maybe I should eat more carbs. does anyone has a suggestion?

thanks again for all of you who replied.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 01:24

Exclamation

I'd eat more carbs, if I was you. After all, you are not going to be able to live on induction levels for ever! I was amazed that my rate of loss increased when I increased mine to around 30 a day. I now regularly have 45 - 50 a day and am still losing. Each to their own, but I would increase your carbs.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 06:31

Stats: 147/147/126
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi

I am 5'6" and 1471b. I am really struggling losing any weight at all. (in fact absolutely none lost since I started 8/9 days ago).

According to charts, I am also within ideal weight, but at the higher end of ideal.

It may be that we are both experiencing the same problem....not that much to lose, and so its takes longer.

I know how you feel...I am terribly pear shaped, and being told you are not overweight doesn't help you feel much better.

I am getting to the point where I am inclined to add a lot more exercise to my diet, as this may be the REAL problem.

Best Wishes and good luck