Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 21:09

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Knee and Hip Pain and Wanting To Jog

My 14 yr old son told me today that he wants to take up cross country running. I'm fine with that, better than him picking a sport where he gets tossed around and beat up every practice.

He would like me to run with him, but when I try to do short sprints, I get pain in my back and knees. I've been advised to wear motion controled shoes, and I've been wearing them for a few months. They've made a huge impanct on my pain, I move better and propperly.

Also without grains and other carbs, my inflamation in my back has eased up and I very seldom have pain, except after the days I lift hard, thats to be expected.

I walk some now on a treadmill, a young fellow kinda pushed me into it. Nothing like a little competition to push me into walking I used to walk 3-4 miles several days a week, I can do a 15 min mile easily. I was in pain though, the motion control shoes do help some. I believe the concreate is even harder on me. Anyway, I can walk without pain on a treadmill, and he even got me to jog, intermittently, 4 times, appx 2 min each time. No pain on the treadmill.

Back to my son, he wants me to run with him. He wants to go to a hiking trail tomorrow and jog on the trails. I of course, want to walk, although quickly. I think he would find it incouraging if I jogged with him and great for both our healths.

I am bow-legged, flat footed, and would like to be able to jog as I did back in high school. Can I? With my screwed up legs and flat feet, lack of cartalige? Can I take up jogging? I only make it to the gym 1-2 times a week to strength train. I do full body weights, and I "lift like a man." My main goal for weights is to keep my body from falling apart and I'm hoping building strength will help me achieve my goal in jogging.

We have all concrete here in town, all hard surfaces. I'm going to look into the school, to see if I can jog on their track. The school is appx a 5 ml drive, not terrible, but I still hate the idea of driving daily just to jog.

I didn't know if a physical therapist could help or not. I didn't know if supplaments could help, but from what I read, they wouldn't.

Can I jog again? Will strength training help? With my physical problems is it possible?

Anyone thats gone through this, I would love to hear from you and any advise from anyone would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 08:24
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Supplements that can help:

vitamin D3
food grade diatomaceous earch
gelatin

The above takes time to take affect.

Still I don't know if you can jog/run again. Jogging/Running is hard on your joints.

Some people have improved by running barefoot. Running barefoot realigns the body into its proper stride which takes stress off the back and joints.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 10:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I would be very careful about running with pain. Your body is telling you something. You wouldn't want an injury to take you off all exercise, right?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 16:49

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I had some back pain yesterday after my weights, sore throught the night. Today we went for a hike around the lake, a short 8 miles. He jogged on and off, I walked, safely (gosh I'm getting old). My right hip flared up, going up hills I was in pain. Its still stiff and tender even with stretching, going to get cudley with the heating pad tonight.

No matter how much I want to be able to jog, I just don't see my hips allowing it. There such wooses. I am deffanitely wondering about the beef geletin.

I told my son that if he wanted to run, I could ride my horse behind him and we could go to Shimek Forst a couple times a week. He thought we'd look funny.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-12, 21:30

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

maybe you could use a training aid. Some runners cross-train with a kickbike or something like that. it might work better with your issues yet allow you to keep up with your son on so much pavement.

I have one and it's really fun, feels more like running than biking and very low on the hurting factor.

http://www.kickbikeamerica.com/mrktng/why.html

Kickbike® Cross Training
An increasing number of triathletes, cyclists and runners use Kickbikes® as a central part of their cross training program. Kickbikes® are the best, most flexible, low cost personal training machines available. High intensity training on Kickbikes® results in excellent cardiovascular and aerobic fitness and generates muscle stamina in large groups of muscles. Because of the very low foot impact and flexible riding position, intensive workouts carry a very low risk of sports injury. Kicking uses similar muscle groups in the legs and buttocks (calves, hamstrings and glutes) to those used in running; while the standing leg uses similar muscles to cycling (calves and quads). Legs are swapped every 3-10 kicks depending on the gradient and individual style. Lifting the legs forward during kicking works lower abdominals and because you can freely change position when riding, it keeps the lower back open and arms and shoulders in use all the time. It is dynamic muscle training of the best kind. You can fit intensive exercise sessions into short periods of time to fit a diverse training program and busy schedule.