Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 06:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Low Carb Survey...help change doctors view of LC

"Low Carb Lifestyle Survey shooting for 1000 Antidotes! 700 in so far. The plural of antidote is not fact but your voice shows what is possible and together we can change standards of care and reverse (not manage) disease. It’s a big rock to move but the steady drip moves the rock. Anyone attempting or on the Low Carb Lifestyle can take this. Thank those who have completed.

This is a project for the American Board of Family Physicians and developed in partnership with Dr. Mark Cucuzzella, Professor West Virginia University School of Medicine, and our partners in the United Kingdom [diabetes.co.uk]. Your responses to this survey are confidential and will help us learn how to help you and medical professionals as we gain knowledge and experience with the Low Carb Lifestyle. Thank you for your time to answer the important questions in this survey. Survey will take approximately 10 minutes.

SHARE WITH OTHERS who have adopted the Low Carb Lifestyle to help us understand and evolve in the therapeutic benefits and the challenges."

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/AAFPLowCarbSurvey

I don't know how to share on FB, not my thing, but if you do, this is where to do it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Duk...06831942728921/. Or this one is open group: https://www.facebook.com/mark.cucuzzella

Ps: it asks before /after stats like weight, cholesterol panel, BG so be prepared with your numbers if you take this...thank you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-23-17 at 06:16.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 06:40

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Thank you, took the survey. Now, to be honest, I answered as if I were where I was about 1.5 years ago when I was at goal, but it took me 4 years to get there, lots of testing, so I had the numbers to share
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 21:51
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Good survey Q but some of the ones about cholesterol numbers are irrelevant when doing low-carb IMO
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 04:39

Agreed, but the components are spilt out so he could add in summary about Trig/HDL, showing "typical" LC results to Family Physicians whose standard care of practice often require cholesterol panels.
Btw, as mentioned by another who took the survey, there are boxes at the end that are completely open for your comment. Don't know if there is a character limit, but I wrote some, he seem to write more, and the comments were accepted. Have at whatever topic you want.
There is also a box for any results of LC not listed in previous questions. I added resolving eczema and DH's GERD. The survey focuses on the big issues of blood sugar, cholesterol, mood but we can probably add more and there is space to do so.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 06:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I've been hesitant because I don't have cholesterol numbers handy. I guess I could estimate from memory.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 10:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I finished filling it out. There was an interesting section and here are my answers. The problem is the word "healthy" - I don't really know, we have pretty good guesses but, in my opinion, we don't really know if there is ONE "healthy" for everyone. Also, I didn't observe the effects of carbs on my blood sugar, I didn't experiment with it.

The survey takes about 7 mins to complete.

#7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 10:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I took it. I hope they provided the results of the survey once it is closed.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 11:09

Dr. Mark is firmly in the LCHF is Healthy camp. Uses Dr. Westman's diet in his clinic. And he did this in conjunction with the UK LC diabetes group (where Dr. Unwin did his study) so there should be some pretty impressive results for BG.
But if you want to add anything to clarify an answer and have a few more minutes, those open boxes at end had enough space to do so.
Many Thanks to both of you for taking the survey...your weight loss can't fail to impress the typical family doctor.
I'll ask Dr. Mark to share the results.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-25-17 at 13:22.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 12:31

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just completed the survey. I'm hoping the results are shared, as one of my requests was to have access to more research and study results related to nutrition.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 12:45
Say NO to Diabetes!

BTW: I received my first annual National Weight Control Registry survey today in my email. I have not looked at it yet. I'll be curious to see if it is still tilted towards the assumption that the successful losers eat a low fat diet and exercise.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 09:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I'll be curious to see if it is still tilted towards the assumption that the successful losers eat a low fat diet and exercise.
Please let us know. I joined the registry in 2001, with a low-fat/low-cal profile. Switched to LC shortly after that. They never asked about diet after the first survey, only weight. I never hear from them anymore.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 09:31

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I did the survey even though I don't have all the numbers. Going from >1000 Advil per year to ZERO was my unusual contribution! That, and an A1c of 4.4 and 64 pound weight loss (so far). Didn't know how to answer the "how healthy" question as I am recovering from thyroid cancer surgery, but my docs seem to think the answer is "pretty darn healthy, anyway."
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 10:31
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Quote:
I'll be curious to see if it is still tilted towards the assumption that the successful losers eat a low fat diet and exercise.

Please let us know. I joined the registry in 2001, with a low-fat/low-cal profile. Switched to LC shortly after that. They never asked about diet after the first survey, only weight. I never hear from them anymore.

FYI: I did take my first National Weight Control Registry survey over the weekend. I don't know what the questions were years ago, but I can't imagine that it has changed much. Nearly all of the questions are slanted towards the low fat, calorie counting, exercise your butt off paradigm. They never even ask what type of diet your are doing. Some questions cannot even be answered properly for a low carber given how the question was framed. And IMO, the people who formulated the section of questions involving the emotional side of overeating must operate on the premise that fat people are solely to blame for their plight. That section reeked of fat shaming, guilt, and blame. I took time to put some of my comments in the one opportunity for them at the end of the survey. I expressed my disappointment.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 10:55

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Ken - I gave up participating in the survey for just those reasons. What finally tipped the should I or should I not participate scales was when they came out with their conclusions to date (this was many years ago) which were to eat less and move more, low fat etc etc. I had decided to participate in hopes that it would help the low carb cause but instead my data just got buried in the mass of low fat heavy exercise data which only reflects that some people who follow the ubiquitous advice that exists in our culture about nutrition and weight are successful losing weight. It does not include the mass of people who are unsuccessful time and time again, and, I am guessing, uses the fact that some people can succeed and others not on the personality differences between the motivated successful and the unmotivated slothful unsuccessful. This is all just the party line, not research but propaganda.

Jean