Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Any runners finding it different now on lc?

I find it very different running now on a lc diet than before when I ate too many. My muscles behave and feel totally different than before. They are typically very sluggish to start and it feels like it takes a lot more effort to make them work. Before it was effortless and I wasn't even aware of my muscles doing anything. I think the difference is that they are actually burning fat as opposed to excess carbs.

Does anyone else have that weird feeling when working out?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 310/254/190 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Yes I have too..
But I have also seen that I can go 2 to 3 times as long. yes that's odd it's more work (or feels like) but I run 2 to 3 times a far.. I have no idea..
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 16:16

BF:

Come to think of it, I am running farther than usual. I used to get the dreaded black toes because anything over 4 or 5 miles would ruin my feet. They just couldn't handle it, but for some strange reason I do fine doing about 6 miles at a time (a lot for me!) and no ill effects on my toes.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 09:36
Registered Member

Stats: 154/129/120 Female 163cm
BF:bat wings abundant
Progress: 74%

Yup endurance is definitely a bonus. But I would recommend L-Carnitine...this seems to pep me up when I'm running.

Last edited by pixel : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 09:40.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 10:52

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Greyt scot-
the dreaded "black toes" you get are from improperly fitting shoes. You ned to find shoes that don't allow your feet to slam forward and hit the front of your shoes. You may not feel it happening but this is what causes it. Generally if you are having this problem, the shoes you are buying are too big. Often a pair of nice insoles (like superfeet) help to fine tune the fit of your shoes.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 11:17

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

I have tried to run and do other high intensity exercise without adjusting my diet and really struggled. What I do now is up my carbs. So if I'm about to go for a run, I drink 200ml of fruit juice before I go and maybe some during it (depends how long I'm out). If I'm hiking up hills I eat dried apricots or flapjacks made with oats, butter and Splenda. This has completely revolutionised my exercising on LC. I suffer no 'over-carbing' effects or weight gain - it just means I can exercise properly.
Some folk manage without this I know - I just couldn't.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Its soooo much harder! Ive been on low carb for 3 weeks and its not gettng that much easier, its really depressing. Alot of times I "hit the wall". My legs super heaving, at least I know im not the only one facing these problems. Before I enjoyed jogging, now I dread it.

Last edited by skibunnie : Fri, Aug-22-03 at 12:46.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 12:51

BF:

climbergrl, thanks for the info about poorly fitting shoes. I tried increasing my shoe a half size up thinking this might reduce the problem. It seemed to help a little but I'm not sure how to find the perfect fit (I even tried having them sized at a runner's store at great expense and that didn't work either). So I must try your insole idea and see how that works. I'll try the carb boost before a run too, but I don't want to offset my continued weight loss too much, though.

I'm doing so well , very gradually losing weight at about 4-5 lbs per month, that I'm changing my goal weight to 135. I used to say I'd gained 5 lbs for each child I'd had (I have 4) but when I went way above that on my own in less than 3 months I'll be happy to say I've only gained a couple of pounds per child IF I get to 135!

Incidentally, DH just got me a Camelbak and it is FANTASTIC for keeping hydrated. You just suck on the tube and it's hands free. I highly recommend it to anyone exercising outdoors (walking, hiking, running). Got it online after searching for it by name.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 14:27

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Don't necessarily base the shoe size on its length - if the shoe is wide throughout, then n omatter what the length of the shoe, your foot is going to slosh around in it. A good running shop should help you for free in getting the perfect fit. the insoles are around 20 bucks, kind of expensive, but they can make a difference. the genreal rule is that the shoe should have about a thumb's width between your toe and the end of the shoe, while you are standing up.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 00:11

Stats: 150/143/135 Female 5ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have found since starting LC just under 3 weeks ago that my running has gone BACKWARDS I,m so low on energy and the heavy legs. I started a thread about heavy legs and have found potassium has made them feel better. I may try upping my carbs a bit just before a run and see if that helps. But I,m not going to worry about it for the next week or so as I,m going back on strict induction to get over these last 3 days of muffins and a sandwich.

Climbergirl, you have good advice about the shoes - a proper fit can make all the difference. Greytscott, you might also want to try a stiffer shoe - maybe the ones you are wearing are too flexible, making your foot slop about. Or, if you,re in a stiff shoe (i.e. a stability or motion control shoe) you might try a neutral shoe - it will allow your foot to move in a more natural way. And, to get a bit personal and yucky here, keep you toenails REALLY REALLY short! Spenco also make some good inserts.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 19:38

Stats: 159/155/137 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,
I started low carbing it about 3 weeks ago I too am having a terrible time working out. I don't feel lacking in energy during the day, but once i start to work out my legs feel as though they are carrying lead weights. This used to happen occasionally in the past, but would pass after 10 to 15 minutes, but it is not the case now. I had to stop working out after 20 minutes today. That is incredibly unusually me. Before LCing once I made it to the gym and got going I would easily do 45-75 minutes. I am taking the day off tomorrow in hope that after a day of rest my muscles will be ready to go, but if this doesn't stop i'm going to have to return to carbs since I NEED my workouts to keep me sane.

I am wondering if perhaps this could be because of missing nutrients. I have seen some things on potassium deficiency and am wondering if this could be a contributing factor. Any ideas??
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 09:24

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi guys,

I experienced the same as all of you when I first started LC'ing. Mainly, running was excrutiatingly difficult, especially during Induction. There was a point at every run where I just wanted to quit after a few miles.

For me, the period of adjustment was about 3 or 4 months before my body fully acclimated to using fat as it's primary fuel. Now, my running feels as easy as it has ever been during my higher carb days. Matter of fact, I can run faster, farther, and more effortlessly now than I could when I burned primarily carbs. I'm not sure if this is just my getting used to it, purely psychological existing purely in my imagination, or objective reality.

Regardless, the point is if you stick with the running and tuff it out, in a few months, you'll all be rewarded with that burst of energy that everyone here keeps touting (believe me, in the beginning I was like, what energy?).

Just drink lots of water, which I'm sure all of you already know. For me, this might be like taboo in the Lc community, but after long and arduous runs, I'll eat a banana while drinking a glass of orange juice. In my view, a modest 5 mile run at about 7.5 mph easily burns about 600 kcals--easily taking care of the extra carbs from a banana and orange juice, but leaves you replenished with potassium.

I know, I know, you can also cook up some spinach for even more potassium than anything else availabe in the Universe, but who wants to eat spinach after a run on a hot summer day? Not even Popeye would turn down orange juice!

Best of luck,

Frederick
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 14:25

BF:

It's good to know that eventually the weird muscle syndrome will abate. I keep telling myself I'm burning fat not excess carbs but somehow my brain doesn't hear me and I just hang in there until the run feels normal. I like the idea of eating something with potassium though afterwards. I'm not a great banana fan but a spinach salad would be okay. I've seen some other threads where lc'ers have benefited from extra potassium. I checked Atkins Basic 3 and the potassium is less than 2%. I need to research whether that's a reasonable amount or if I should bump it up a bit. I know some vitamins are unhealthy if you take too much of them.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 14:34

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

If I could add something here.. why not use your higher carb meals or snacks just before your run (45 min or 1 hour before) and then as a postworkout meal. It is really important if you are doing longer runs to have something afterwards.

A banana is great, and you dont really need to worry because you are raising your metabolism with the longer run, you will most definately burn off what you eat. Over all the main idea here is to jump start your metabolism so it burns more efficiently for you. Do you run in the morning or later in the day?

Running in the morning also has additional benefits in that you are getting your metabolism all fired up and working on high for the rest of the day.

I know it is high in carb, but since I've been doing long runs I have a gatorade right after to replenish, or I eat a higher carb powerbar which also has protein in it.

Cheers,
j