Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 10:06

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I was thinking about it again because my eczema's back and on the all-meat diet it went away almost immediately. I don't think it would be a good long-term solution, nutritionally, but meat is the food that agrees with me

i have a wonderful cure for the eczema...african black soap (you can buy it at coastalscents.com) and a primarily meat diet.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 11:05

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
IMoggsy - You won't believe this, but I woke up this morning thinking of just eating meat. I tried it last November, and that month was the best I ever felt. Unfortunately, it was also close to the worst I ever felt. I was thinking about it again because my eczema's back and on the all-meat diet it went away almost immediately. I don't think it would be a good long-term solution, nutritionally, but meat is the food that agrees with me the best. Instead of whining for somebody to figure out a magical lowcarb diet filled with rice and potatoes for me, maybe I should just put on my big girl pants and eat the meat. And when/if I start feeling bad like I did after three weeks last November, just add in vegetables and fruit, not everything under the sun, like I did last time.

Happy and Moggsy, what do your all-meat diets consist of? As long as you're having to force it down, why not try some liver or other organ meats? I find that even though liver isn't my favorite food, it really improves the way I feel. There are times when a diet of all steaks and burgers leaves me feeling a bit run-down, but liver is a reliable cure for that. Egg yolks and anchovies aren't bad either, and when I can, I throw in some caviar.

Quote:
The main problem there is that I've given myself quite a complex regarding meat and animals and all that. That's just a mind thing that I have to get over.

A little bit of Lierre Kieth will help you with that!

4.5 minute video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOs...feature=related

60 minute radio interview:
http://lierrekeith.com/media/lierre-keith-khsu.mp3

It's long, but it contains one of my favorite quotes at about 16:15:
Quote:
We need to ask a way bigger question than "What is dead on my plate?" We need to ask the prior question which is "What died to get this food on my plate?"
  #78   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 14:36

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Happy and Moggsy, what do your all-meat diets consist of? As long as you're having to force it down, why not try some liver or other organ meats? I find that even though liver isn't my favorite food, it really improves the way I feel. There are times when a diet of all steaks and burgers leaves me feeling a bit run-down, but liver is a reliable cure for that. Egg yolks and anchovies aren't bad either, and when I can, I throw in some caviar.

My "all-meat" diet was mostly beef, lamb, chicken, eggs and a little cheese. I can't stomach plain, cooked liver, but did eat liverwurst...don't know if that's as good for you, though.

Thanks for the video links...will watch a little later.
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 16:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Liverwurst is fine. Do you like pate? I love it! Just hard to find.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-10, 16:35

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I am not currently on an all meat diet, and there are a couple of meats I actually like. I like good fatty beef like rib steaks/roasts and I like bacon. I can eat liverwurst and sometimes pate (although it sometimes gets to be too much for me). I can't stand kidneys. I just tried to make some lamb liver about a week ago, and despite doing everything to make it mild and tender (soaking it in milk over night, quickly cooking it), it grossed me out.

I don't like meat, and I haven't for most of my life. Oddly, the meat I do like doesn't bother me in the least, although I could probably happily give it up for the rest of my days if I had to. I remember not being totally grossed out by meat as a child.

For the most part, I am fine if I don't think about it too much. Last year I had a bad spell where I couldn't even be around the smell of meat. It comes and goes, and I don't know how much of mine is actual disgust, how much is preference, how much is carb addiction, and how much much is the complex way we tie identity to food in Western culture. Sometimes I can eat meat and think that it was tasty and have no problems. Sometimes I take a few bites and can't finish it. Most times it's somewhere in between.
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 07:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
Sometimes I can eat meat and think that it was tasty and have no problems. Sometimes I take a few bites and can't finish it. Most times it's somewhere in between.

Same here. My husband loves to eat a nice steakhouses. Sometimes I find the steak delicious, other times it's one bite and I'm done. I used to love porterhouse, but the last time I tried it (same restaurant as usual), it had a weird liverish taste. Everybody else at the table thought it was wonderful, so I guess it was just me. I think I should stick to ribeye...I don't recall having a problem with that.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 07:13

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Same here, I don't really like meat that much and at times I think I could live without it completely. I have tried the vegan thing before and I realize that I can go for about a week without animal food but then I start to get cravings and meat all of a sudden tastes good again. But once I eat the meat then I can go for another week without it. If I eat meat too many days in a row it starts to become repulsive to me. I decided I must have genes from some tropical area and my body does better on regular fruit/nuts/veggies (in that order) and small amounts of meat/fish like if I was living on a tropical island or something.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 07:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I decided I must have genes from some tropical area and my body does better on regular fruit/nuts/veggies (in that order) and small amounts of meat/fish like if I was living on a tropical island or something.

My father is German and my mother is Scottish. What's my excuse?
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 07:49
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
I used to love porterhouse, but the last time I tried it (same restaurant as usual), it had a weird liverish taste.
i'm like that with filet mignon. i can taste the metallic taste of iron in it.. don't ask me why.. i do and that is one piece of meat i refuse to eat.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 08:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotGal
i'm like that with filet mignon. i can taste the metallic taste of iron in it.. don't ask me why.. i do and that is one piece of meat i refuse to eat.

That's so weird. Filet mignon doesn't usually bother me, but filet is half of a porterhouse, so that might have been the strange taste. I just tried googling "filet mignon liver taste" and lo and behold, there are others out there with the same problem. Maybe it's just an occasional problem that has to do with how the meat is aged or cooked.
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 09:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I haven't tried porterhouse but sirloin tastes liverish to me.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 09:53

Plan: EatRealFood!
Stats: 186/175/157 Female 68 inches
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 38%

london broil is my least favorite at the moment for some reason (i guess it's not fatty enough).

happy, have you ever tried chuck-eye? it taste like the rib-eye, but it's much cheaper. ask your butcher about it...it's simply devine!
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:11

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I've noticed that metallic taste in lean meat like london broil, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it in filet mignon - a cut I avoid! I believe the taste is myoglobin, and it's definitely stronger when there's not enough marbling in the meat.

You can reduce the taste if you prepare the steak yourself - salt it well and let it sit for a couple hours, then rinse and dry it. But my solution is usually to eat hamburger instead.

How to Make Cheap Steak Taste Good
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I haven't tried porterhouse but sirloin tastes liverish to me.

I suspected that both sides of my porterhouse tasted like liver, but didn't eat much, so I couldn't really remember. I also just remembered that I don't like hanger or skirt steak, since they not only taste like liver to me, but they have a liver-like texture.

(And I love liverwurst and pate. Go figure.)

Interesting discussion about this at Chowhound.

Last edited by HappyLC : Wed, Jul-07-10 at 10:21.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Jul-07-10, 10:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle33
happy, have you ever tried chuck-eye? it taste like the rib-eye, but it's much cheaper. ask your butcher about it...it's simply devine!

No, I haven't, but I'll check it out. Thanks.