Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 11:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Is it hunger tho or simply craving carbs?? when I used to feel like this I just ate as much low carb stuff as I could until I felt sick lol

Jo xxx
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 03:50

Plan: Trying the Atkins
Stats: 247.7/245.8/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Is it hunger tho or simply craving carbs?? when I used to feel like this I just ate as much low carb stuff as I could until I felt sick lol

Jo xxx

I am pretty sure it was carb craving. Because I turned around and told hubby every Cheetos bag out there was calling my name. I really had no idea one could get addicted to Cheetos LOL

I asked hubby to get me some pork skins. Cravings over
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 07:20

Plan: 6WBMO/Paleo
Stats: 196.7/175.6/130 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecegirl
I am pretty sure it was carb craving. Because I turned around and told hubby every Cheetos bag out there was calling my name. I really had no idea one could get addicted to Cheetos LOL

I asked hubby to get me some pork skins. Cravings over

The thing about pork rinds is the salt. You have to drink a ton of water before, during, and after you eat those things. I could devour them when I was younger and down diet soda afterward, but after a while, the soda just made me thirstier.

I just don't buy them anymore because of that. Anyway, you can buy your own cheetos/cheese crisps from Atkins Nutritionals or make them yourself.

Can of Pam
1T Parmesan Cheese
Parchment paper

Spread a sheet of parchment paper onto a rimmed baking sheet and spray it with Pam. With a large biscuit cutter, sprinkle the cheese in a single layer and bake for 1-2 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool for a few seconds and gently lift cheese crisps and place on a paper towel. They are ready to eat or you can keep in a airtight container for a week. Do not refrigerate. Can also be used in place of croutons on salads.

If you're feeling creative, remove them from the parchment paper while still warm and drape over an overturned glass, and when cooled, can be filled with salad, vegetables, or a holder for a creamed salmon appetizer.

Sky's the limit.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:49
Registered Member

Plan: lc
Stats: 190/190/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi ..I am almost 50 and am wondering what are your best tips for low carbing ?
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:55

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Tips? No whites (breads, potatoes, sugar etc.). Cauliflower is ok though LOL. Cut down on fruit. Meat, veggies and good fats (butter, olive oil, coconut oil all ok; no corn, soybean, canola oil). That is about it.
  #126   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:57

I have been MIA for a while now and haven't been tracking food or weight on MFP. I decided to get started again. So, I weighed today at 201 which still gives me a total loss of 59.4 lbs. But, I basically have been staying the same for about 6 months now. Time to kick it in gear.
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 08:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugujo
I have been MIA for a while now and haven't been tracking food or weight on MFP. I decided to get started again. So, I weighed today at 201 which still gives me a total loss of 59.4 lbs. But, I basically have been staying the same for about 6 months now. Time to kick it in gear.

Good for you! Welcome back.

You forgot one of the most important things to eliminate and that's sugar, and if you are affected by sugar alcohols as I was, then switch to pure sucralose. Zero carbs and zero calories. I ordered mine from Amazon.com, but there are other brands as well.
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:02

lindalove, I did mention sugar as one of the whites.
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by summeringb
Hi ..I am almost 50 and am wondering what are your best tips for low carbing ?

Take a trip over to the recipe threads. I'm sure you'll find something good to eat. Also, visit the Atkins induction thread, if Atkins is your plan of choice. Good luck to you.
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 09:03

BF:

Okay, cool. Nevermind.
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 21:52

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

It has taken me over two years to lose 30 lb. And I probably lost more than that - 35/38? because I could not bear to step on the scales. I have done Atkins fat fast, then LCHF, and I keep my carbs down to 20 g every day. I cheat every once in a blue moon with mudcake or pizza, but feel so unwell that I run no risk of adding carbs back to my diet any time soon. I am within 10 lbs of my goal, but I am happy with what I have been able to achieve. After menopause it is not impossible to lose weight. For me, it just took 2 years rather than 2 months.
  #132   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 12:10

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintaka
It has taken me over two years to lose 30 lb. And I probably lost more than that - 35/38? because I could not bear to step on the scales. I have done Atkins fat fast, then LCHF, and I keep my carbs down to 20 g every day. I cheat every once in a blue moon with mudcake or pizza, but feel so unwell that I run no risk of adding carbs back to my diet any time soon. I am within 10 lbs of my goal, but I am happy with what I have been able to achieve. After menopause it is not impossible to lose weight. For me, it just took 2 years rather than 2 months.

I hear ya. I've had to restart several times, but not for cheating, but little things I never thought was hindering my progress, like my beloved Splenda. I have used that sweetener for over 25 years, and I never had problems until recently. I would lose the same 1-2 lbs repeatedly. I did some research on artificial sweeteners and discovered Splenda uses dextrose and maltodextrin as fillers to facilitate its pourability. Too bad for me because those are sugars that started affecting me. Then there was wine with my dinner. I drank good red wines, but the alcohol was also slowing down my progress. The last item eliminated, was my prescription NSAIDs for knee pain. I discovered one of the side effects was "rapid weight gain". That did it for me; that was enough.

So, even though I started low carbing again on Jan. 2, '15, and so far (haven't been on the scale in a week), have only lost 8.8 lbs., I am trying NOT to obsess about my weight anymore. I was weighing everyday, worrying why I wasn't losing as another member was or I was jumping for job over losing an ounce, only to regain it. It was a most incredibly frustrating trip. That, too, was enough.

I've decided to weigh myself periodically, and judge how my clothing fit instead of what the scale says. My last and, here's hoping, final restart was just last week when I made my discoveries. Hopefully, all of the eliminations I've done will redeem my weight loss journey; I sure hope so.

Last edited by lindalove : Mon, Mar-30-15 at 12:18. Reason: I'm an editing nut!
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Jun-22-15, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/207/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%

I have been an off again on again dieter on many diets, and many times on Atkins. I never really stuck it out. But I also didn't realize how much carbs/sugar has had a hold on me....I'm 58 and as I've gotten older, I've gained 7 lbs per year for the last 8 years. Didn't seem to be that jolting at first, but now, its too much. I fear that if I don't get my weight down as I approach my 60s there will be hell to pay for it in my health. I already have back pain - sciatica - mostly I think from my extra weight. I also know I'm an addict to sugar. My first 10 days on my renewed Low Carb WOL (now) was miserable. I really struggled with the cravings. Which I don't recall happening to me before on lo carb. However, this time, I had withdrawal...and I was crabby, tired and not satisfied with the food I could eat on this diet. However I stuck it out, and I think I've finally come out of the doldrums. Today, I felt really good...and I had lost 2 lbs over the last 4 days. I'm a slow loser, so I was still glad to see that. I won't be weighing myself everyday, as I'm not wanting to obsess over the weight as much as I'm shocked as to how my body reacted to the no sugar, bread, potatoes, honey, etc...it was like I could have easily lost control and jumped off the diet just to eat a cookie! Freaky to me! Further proof of the horrible hold sugar has on us a culture. I wish everyone the best of luck...this is a journey that I'm hoping will be enlightening and life saving!
  #134   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-15, 17:57

Plan: Atkins, mostly
Stats: 192/161.4/140 Female 5ft 5in
BF:way too much!
Progress: 59%

Sugar is the work of the devil!!! Whoever invented bread was a demon from the bowels of hell!! And whoever told me I could have a "little" bit of these things "once in a while" has never had an addiction. For us, a sliver of cake is like a little shot of heroine. If a heroine addict can't have a tiny pop once in a while, what makes me think I can have a cookie? I'm damned pissed about it, but sugar is not my friend and can't visit me anymore!
  #135   ^
Old Sun, Jun-28-15, 11:00

Darn food addiction anyways.