Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-15, 13:12

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

I have been MIA since we went on vacation. We returned on Tues and I weighed on Wednesday. I am back on plan thank goodness. Vacation is tough on trying to stay on plan and I am back to my normal routine of exercising, yahoo. Weight is down from Wednesday too.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 139.2/125.8/110 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hi everyone. I am Allyson and I am 51. This is my first time on low carb and tomorrow will be 6 weeks. Last weeks weigh in was 9 lbs down. Being only 4'10" every one of these extra pounds is visible. We are going to Disneyworld in 3 weeks and I am excited yet a bit scared. I have not gone over 20 net carbs per day at all. I want to eat what I want, but hope I don't go overboard. I still have a ways to go, but this is a marathon for me so I can do it. Actually, this is the longest I have stayed on a "diet" in a very long time. I like eating fat because it keeps me full.

Sorry for being so long. I tend to do that. Thanks for listening.

Allyson
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 16:55

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 260.4/201/180 Female 5'6"
BF:fluffy
Progress: 74%

Allyson, congrats on the weight loss. Try to stay on plan as much as you can while on vacation but don't deprive yourself.
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-15, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/194/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hello over 50's! I am 54 and have struggled with my weight all of my adult life. I lose it, put it back on, lose it....some of you may know the struggle. I am determined this time to get it off and keep it off. I am ready to change the way I eat and stick to it! I look forward to getting to know each of you!
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 08:32

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Hi Ladies,
I'm 53 and have been on a diet my whole life and have yo yo'd enough! I restarted general low carb in Nov 2015 and have lost about 15 pounds so I'm pretty excited to keep on losing. I'm losing slower in this new phase of life (menopause) but I'm trying.
  #141   ^
Old Thu, Mar-03-16, 10:51

Plan: Atkins, LC, LCHF
Stats: 210/197/158 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hello girls :-)
I'm 55 years old and I'm on induction since 2nd Feb. My diet-carreer started in 1982 when a famous German magazine called "Brigitte" launched their first diet-book (I live in Germany btw). It was based on cutting calories and at that time I did very well with my weight loss. During the years I tried almost everything to loose weight. 6 years ago I had my biggest succes with Atkins and lost 27 kilos! But unfortunately it all came back :-(

And now, in the midst of menopause, I had to realize that loosing weight isn't as fast as it was in the past. The only way for me is the Atkins-Diet.
Here is my reward for today: a 450g-US Chuck-Eye-Steak and a salad with Mayonnaise. (I didn't know how delicious a salad with Mayonnaise could be :-) )

After almost 2 weeks on induction I must say that it goes pretty well and I draw hope from that
  #142   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 12:47

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Tammy and Patty;

54 years old, I can relate to the yo-yo up and down weight over the years, as well as menopause (mental pause?). I also relate to low carb high fat being the only method to weight loss and control at this age. Part of menopause, at least for me, is less patience. Sometimes I struggle to be patient with the one pound per week if I'm lucky. Keep having to remind myself this is for LIFE, not just weight loss, so who cares if it's one pound or one ounce.
  #143   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 15:48

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Hi, to you all.
I am 55 and am on lc for about the 7th time, probably. I have added intermittent fasting to the plan and it is helping a lot. I think it has a lot to offer women of our age. I started this a little bit before Christmas but wasn't too good right around the 24th/25th but jumped right in after that. Even so, my loss was slooooowww. Then I discovered my normal pattern conformed to 16:8 fasting, so I bumped it up to 20:4 but had to shift to 19:5 and that has been amazing. probably an extra five pounds in two weeks.
I am finally in my first goal jeans today. I have to lose at least fifteen or twenty pounds to come down a size. I was a tight 18 and these jeans are a 16. They were only tight when I was buttoning them. I couldn't fasten them day before yesterday when I tried them and now I am wearing them. I'll change my stats today, too. I'm down a whole pound.
I recommend it for anyone who needs better (faster) results.
Looking forward to having a small group within the group.

Last edited by CallmeAnn : Wed, Mar-16-16 at 15:53.
  #144   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 16:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Then I discovered my normal pattern conformed to 16:8 fasting, so I bumped it up to 20:4 but had to shift to 19:5 and that has been amazing. probably an extra five pounds in two weeks.

Hi Ann - Can you tell me from what time of day (or night) you begin the fast and what time of day (or night) you break it? Do you fast once/week or what does the schedule look like? Thanks!
  #145   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 16:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I often have breakfast at 8 AM, lunch 1-2 PM, and skip dinner, if that helps.
  #146   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-16, 17:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I often have breakfast at 8 AM, lunch 1-2 PM, and skip dinner, if that helps.

Wow, impressive WereBear. How often in one week do you do that? I don't know if I could skip supper, but maybe I could on a Friday or Saturday night.
  #147   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 02:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Then I discovered my normal pattern conformed to 16:8 fasting, so I bumped it up to 20:4 but had to shift to 19:5 and that has been amazing. probably an extra five pounds in two weeks.
I am finally in my first goal jeans today. I have to lose at least fifteen or twenty pounds to come down a size. I was a tight 18 and these jeans are a 16. They were only tight when I was buttoning them. I couldn't fasten them day before yesterday when I tried them and now I am wearing them. I'll change my stats today, too. I'm down a whole pound.
I recommend it for anyone who needs better (faster) results.
Looking forward to having a small group within the group.

Hi Ann, wow that sounds amazing! Congratulations to your success !

Time ago, I heard about the 5:2 fast diet and I bought 3 books, one by Dr. Michel Mosley and two by Kate Harrison. I tried this fast diet a few times but without being on Atkins or LC and without permanent success.

Could you please me tell something about the 16:8/20:4/19:5? Do you mean 16/20/19 hours fasting and 8/4/5 hours eating according to Atkins?

If this is the clue to weightloss in the 50's, well, I'm more than curious to hear about it! Thanks in advance!
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-16, 02:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Hi Tammy and Patty;

54 years old, I can relate to the yo-yo up and down weight over the years, as well as menopause (mental pause?). I also relate to low carb high fat being the only method to weight loss and control at this age. Part of menopause, at least for me, is less patience. Sometimes I struggle to be patient with the one pound per week if I'm lucky. Keep having to remind myself this is for LIFE, not just weight loss, so who cares if it's one pound or one ounce.

I agree with you, it's a dietary change for Life. When I see how well I'm now with Atkins I blame myself for not being left on the ball in the past. My weightloss is slow but I'm grateful for every pound I lose.
  #149   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 04:11

BF:

Hi everybody over 50 :-)
I just want to tell you that I'm glad to have lost another few pounds
I'm on LCHF for 9 weeks now and meanwhile love coconut oil in my morning coffee and I love it not to have a ravenous appetite anymore!

Even with that moderate progress I know I had to stick to it to reach my goal. And I will...for sure! :-)
  #150   ^
Old Thu, May-26-16, 09:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Wow, impressive WereBear. How often in one week do you do that? I don't know if I could skip supper, but maybe I could on a Friday or Saturday night.

Since then I have moved to dinner only. Maybe that would help

I do a big cup of coffee with heavy cream, then nothing but water/herbal tea until dinner time. This works if we are going out with friends, this works if DH makes dinner and surprises me with it when I come home, this gets me over the "hungry hump" at lunchtime when I just get busy with work or go for a walk and find the hungry feeling passes when I am not paying attention to it.