Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 13:15

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%
Smile 22% of the population needs high carb diets, 55% needs low carb diets!

Around 22% of the population is athletically inclined, this is not to say that they are professional athletes, but they are athletically inclined. This group expends a lot on energy on physical activity and usually engages in at least one sporting activity at least annually. They need high carb diets because they expend a lot of energy toward physical activities. Their food needs to be fuel-rich.

They tend to be motivated towards careers that are oriented toward some kind of physical well being (health, management, law, etc). These are often the people who give advice about how to eat right, and, although their high carb diet are right for them and their colleagues, it isn’t right for the rest of the population.

Another 22% of the population is moderately inclined toward physical activity. Although not particularly athletic, they do spend their energy on moderately physical activity often of a social nature, like dancing or working on their feet. They need moderately-rich fuel. This group would do best with a diet of moderate carbs since their energies are inclined toward moderate physical activity.

55% of the population is inclined to put their energies toward intellectual endeavors or performance-art-oriented pursuits. This is not to say that they are geniuses or artists, they are just more inclined in these directions. Their energies are typically not geared directly toward specific physical activity. They need fuel to maintain their bodies, but that’s all. They need lean fuel. This vast group does best with a low carb diet.

Especially since the trend in this country over the past 100 years has been towards making foods that are absorbed quickly and provide instant gratification. The trend has been towards more and more refined foods. The term “refined” is just a euphemism for the destruction of the healthy fiber that accompanies most grains. The trend toward making food taste more like cake by processing out the fiber and adding sweeteners is just an attempt to gain more market share by competing food sellers.

Know your body and know which diet is best for you. Regular exercise is good for everyone. Balancing our lives to provide optimal health and happiness isn’t easy, but it is possible.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'd say this is probably true, though I'd be interested in where you get those statistics.
I've volunteered at Ironman Marathons, and the front runners take those "carb shots" that are pure sugar. They don't have an ounce of fat on them. It doesn't get the chance.
Do I exercise like that? Not in this lifetime. So I agree, I need many fewer carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 17:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I've volunteered at Ironman Marathons, and the front runners take those "carb shots" that are pure sugar.

Interestingly enough, Stuart Trager trained for and competed in an IronMan triathalon and did very well for his age group....on low carb (no carb loading or sugar shots).
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 18:32
Registered Member

Stats: 222/165/133 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 64%

if 22% need high carb diets and 55% need low carb. What do the other 23% need?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 19:49

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaB
if 22% need high carb diets and 55% need low carb. What do the other 23% need?

"Another 22% of the population is moderately inclined toward physical activity. Although not particularly athletic, they do spend their energy on moderately physical activity often of a social nature, like dancing or working on their feet. They need moderately-rich fuel. This group would do best with a diet of moderate carbs since their energies are inclined toward moderate physical activity."

That leaves a 1% margin of error, is all.

Also, this makes intuitive sense, but I'd also be interested to know where you did your research.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 04:18

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

It sounds like pure b.s. to me. On this site there is reported research on athletes and low carb which shows an increase in preformance on low carb. Such peoples as the Inuit and Masai, who lived a very active lifestyle on a seriously low carb diet, would be surprized to find this out. Just because an athlete does something doesn't mean it's safe or good for you. Any long distance athlete is running in fat eserves after about 20-30 minutes after any carb loading, it just gets burned up too fast to last longer. Nyah Levi
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 17:46
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much

adkPam...
When I saw you were from the Adirondacks Mts..I have to ask where???!!!..I live In Riverside, CA, but am originally from Hague NY, on Lake George..not too many people from there you run into often!! Small world!!
I know that doesn't have anything to do with LC dieting, but its so neat to see someone on here from the Adirondacks!!
Christine
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 20:21
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Here's my view on things.

Short burst intense exercise does better on primarily sugar, but endurance does better with primarily fat. If your goal is to perform as well as you can, but in a short period of time, you are probably better off with the sugar shot. If you are running a marathon, then you can probably use either fat or sugar. Fat might even be better.

I don't think exercising means you absolutely need carbs (although some people may be better off with extra carbs), I just think it allows for the option to use simple sugar as fuel.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 23:22
Registered Member

Stats: 140/142/130 Female 5'7
BF:22%/21%/16%
Progress:

As a person who excersises (weights and cardio) I can assure all of you that FOR ME, the atkins diet has causes havoc on my strength, the shape of my muscles, and my overall energy!! I am however a fan of LC, just not ketosis for me... I say athletes should stick to low carb cycling . we need our glycogen restored !
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
They tend to be motivated towards careers that are oriented toward some kind of physical well being (health, management, law, etc). These are often the people who give advice about how to eat right, and, although their high carb diet are right for them and their colleagues, it isn’t right for the rest of the population.

Have you ever seen a nurse or doctor in your life? Most doctors and fellow nurses that I work with that advocate a low fat high carb diet are FAT, look unhealthy and eat garbage.
The rest are the low carbers that may be fat, but are LESS fat than they were when they started, look healthier, and eat MUCH healthier foods.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 08:51

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

I disagree... You can LIVE without carbs and still be healthy if you supplement vitamins and minerals.