Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#271   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 05:23

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
January 11, 2012

On Dietary Purism and Pragmatism

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Human beings are curious characters who seem to enjoy nothing more than dividing into factions, the better to denigrate those on the other side. Sometimes this unavoidable tendency turns life into a series of tiresome tug-of-wars. Are Cleveland Cavs fans really so different than Celtics fans? Clearly not, and yet even sports rivalries can engender strong beliefs that one side is physically, geographically, perhaps even morally, superior.

When we divide into groups, we seem often to inflate the "truthiness" of our cause. Part of the action is to believe that we have found the one true path. So it is with religion, politics, and nationalism. Yet we can't all be right and there are an awful lot of factions claiming to have the one right answer to an awful lot of problems. If this line of thinking sounds familiar, it's because I've blogged in the past about our need to form dietary factions that look alot like the other tug-of-wars described above. (Dietary Tribalism: Factionalism Goeth Before the Fall).

In my post on dietary tribes, I wrote this:

....At least as I see it, the truth about optimal diet remains the furthest thing from being settled. It is as complex and elusive as a shadow that recedes into our endless human past. Does any group, whether it be the vegans, the vegetarians, the Primalists, the Mediterranean Diet followers...ad infinitum.... truly have the hubris to believe that they have completely solved the equation? There is no diet on earth that does not eventually lead to death. And if there is ever to be one it will have to come with the assist of modern science, since no living species has yet negotiated immortality.

I believe it unlikely that there is one, true diet. ( See: Previous post on The Perfect Diet). However, I do believe that there are diets that work exceedingly well for individuals. It's interesting and important work for each of us to find the one that best fits ourself. Based on clinical observation, I feel strongly that a mostly Primal diet with elimination of the bulk of sugars and starches is an excellent diet to choose. But there are people who may do very nicely as vegetarians, Ornish followers, Mediterranean devotees, etc..

I remain a dietary pragmatist. I don't like to criticize the dietary choices of others (unless they are making no choice other than to default to the SAD). I also realize that purism within dietary philosophies is not necessarily practical. For example, I often receive questions from readers about perceived contradictions in my book and blog. How can I suggest that maintainers use artificial sweeteners, use Lean Cuisine occasionally, or buy meal replacement shakes? I make these suggestions because they work, are practical, and don't seem to cause harm. I do not expect people to be perfect in the adoption of any new way of eating. Imperfection is the reality for the vast majority of us. So my goal is to try to give readers practical ways to maintain lower weights, that allow them to remain "primarily Primarian". Luckily, the body--particularly when at good weight and in good physical shape--is a wonderfully flexible instrument. A continued commitment to eating well is required, but utter perfection is not.

So I'd like to start the New Year with a confession and an observation. My confession? I don't have the answer about perfect diet. My observation: No one else does either. When you look for guidance from the gurus who are out there on the internet and whose words seem so much weightier because they appear in books, remember that YOU are the most important part of any dietary experiment. Here is the list of guidelines I've posted in the past for deciding if your diet is a good one:

1. Your diet is good if it is helping you achieve normal blood sugar, decent cholesterol readings, low triglycerides and a good blood pressure. If you already have some of these problems, your diet is a good one if it is lessening these markers or allowing you to decrease your medications.

2. Your diet is good if it is allowing you to stay a a good weight. That weight doesn't have to correspond to a perfect BMI, but it should be as low as you can comfortably maintain and should stay relatively stable.

3. Your diet is good if your energy is good. If you are sluggish or have no energy to get out and move around, look at making a dietary change.

4. Your diet is good if it exposes you to the fewest carcinogens. We get enough exposure to cancer causing chemicals in our air, plastics, x-rays, and modern products. Avoidance of processing and additives is the basis for every healthy diet whether it be Primarian, Pritikin, Vegetarian or an Atkins variant.

5. Your diet is good if you can believe in it and stick to it. If you are simply eating reflexively, without any specific thought, it's unlikely that your diet is healthy. The reason is simple: we are presented with few good choices. In order to eat well, we have to eat mindfully.

6. Your diet is good if you wake up without guilt.

7. Your diet is good if eating it makes you not only healthy...but happy.
Feel free to let me know about the dietary discoveries you have made as you've proceeded on your own journey.

http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...pragmatism.html
Sponsored Links
  #272   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 19:30

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I really enjoyed the article on eudamonia, Demi. Thanks again for sharing these articles.
  #273   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-12, 23:52
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

I really liked this last article on dietary pragmatism. I always have to remind myself that we are all different and no diet is going to work perfectly for everyone. While I do think that sugar and flour are unfit for consumption generally, the other details can vary considerably depending on each person's unique biology. I can only tell people what worked for me. Whether it will work for them is uncertain but perhaps worth a try...especially if they are eating the SAD.

--Melissa
  #274   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-12, 11:05

BF:

Quote:
January 13, 2012

Is Your Irisin A'Risin?

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

The latest chemical substance to get scientists into raptures is irisin, a hormone that is produced in muscle cells but exerts its effect on fat. We've all figured out that exercise and weight are somehow tied together and that this means that muscle and fat must communicate. Unfortunately, we've showed a woeful lack of imagination in tryng to come up with the mechanism. For decades, we've persisted in trying to jam the same puzzle piece into a space that doesn't fit. We are determined to prove that the connection is calories. It seems so logical. If we burn calories through working out we must lose weight, right? And yet the evidence that this is so remains annoyingly equivocal.

While readers will occasionally write to me about great weight loss successes from becoming physically active, it is rare to observe this in clinical practice. The more common experience is to see people who have added exercise, but have not achieved anything more than a minor result. As I've mentioned in the past, I have taken care of many very athletic people, even marathoners, who were clinically obese. Could they have just been eating enormous amounts of food? Of course it's possible. But most of them were trying to lose weight by modulating their diet. One would think that these prodigious amounts of exercise would force weight loss, but in their cases it did not.

On the other hand, it is observationally obvious that maintainers who exercise have a higher rate of success at keeping weight off. This observation has been confirmed by data from the National Weight Control Registry, a large study which monitors those in maintenance. While the NWCR subject pool is limited to maintainers who volunteered themselves (and thus are probably highly motivated), the data shows that successful study maintainers are exercising a lot (on average, about 1 hour daily).

Irisin is a hormone that is produced from the breakdown of a protein that is produced when muscles are exercised. In rodents, it's injection appears to turn white fat into the more metabolically active brown type. Humans do not have very much brown fat, so it is difficult to speculate whether this finding is meaningful for us. Even rats who made more brown fat did not lost weight when injected with irisin. So why the flurry of interest? Because high levels of irisin appear to improve the way the body metabolizes food, making it less insulin resistant and more weight stable. The following is from a recent NY Times article on irisin:
But while irisin appears to have a critical impact on metabolism, it does not appear to play any discernible role in the effects that exercise has on the heart or the brain. And various issues remain unresolved. Why, for instance, if exercise increases levels of irisin and irisin increases the body’s stores of energy-burning brown fat, does exercise so rarely produce significant weight loss? The mice injected with irisin lost little weight. On the other hand, Dr. Spiegelman notes, they resisted weight gain, even on a high-fat diet, and their blood sugar levels remained stable. So it would seem that exercise, through the actions of irisin, can render you healthy, if not svelte.

As I have repeatedly said in this blog, research results only become important when they are repeatedly reproduced. The irisin story is obviously in its very earliest chapters. But the existence of such a hormone may well help to explain why exercise is so important during maintenance, and relatively ineffectual during weight loss. For those who are currently losing weight, I don't discourage exercise, but I ask you not to rely on it. Weight loss is about forcing the body to burn itself (which it would prefer not to do) through caloric restriction. Think of your exercise as a way of rebuilding and retuning your muscles for later use. Once you reach maintenance, these irisin producing factories will be fired up and ready to go--giving you a much improved shot at maintaining the body you've earned.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...sin-arisin.html

There is a thread on the original article over in the Media forum:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=437453
  #275   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 04:04

BF:

Quote:
February 01, 2012

Life on the Island

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

No man is an island entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main….. John Donne, 1572-1631

As John Donne famously observed, each of us is connected to the other and to the larger world. In free societies, our belief in personal liberty often obscures this point. We are free to choose, or so we believe. But our freedoms are enormously affected by the influence of the culture in which we are immersed, by the very connections that make us human. Are we choosing or are we being led? At no time is this question more pertinent than in an election year. Our political choices are based on the information we learn from PACs, Super PACs, newspapers, TV pundits, the opinions of friends, and finally...our own observation. How free is our choice? Pure freedom of choice depends on the degree to which we want to unearth and establish the unvarnished, un-spun truth. This kind of fact-finding requires a serious amount of focus, time, and commitment.

And so it is with our dietary choices. We may feel that we have the freedom to choose how we eat. We are certainly told that we do. If we choose to eat badly, it’s our own fault isn’t it? But I observe a quite different reality. In fact, our freedom is severely tested and influenced by the enormous weight of a food culture that condones, encourages, and normalizes a quite different message. Eating is a sport, a right, an ultimate enjoyment to which we are all entitled. Further, modern food is not bad... it’s GOOD. It is only our choice that is poor. Swimming away from that cultural current can be like opposing the force of the ocean. The water looks calm, but we are actually caught in a rip tide.

This is the reason that making an analogy between successful maintenance and life on an island so appeals to me. In order to avoid the influence of the food culture, we have to absent ourselves from it. We have to live, to some degree, outside of it.

How is this done? Some do it by becoming fierce proponents of diets that don't look anything like the modern American plate: vegan, vegetarian, paleo. Others become immersed in the world of nutrition and fitness. They blog, take courses, become trainers, write books, become experts. But for the vast majority of maintainers, it's a matter of applying a set of mental blinders. They doggedly focus on the road ahead, follow their plan, and try not to be overwhelmed by the flood of food messaging.

Maintainers can feel both proud and lonely. They sit on an island while the rest of the world swims in a sea of food all around them. Often, it’s hard to avoid jumping back in the water. It looks like so much fun that it’s easy to forget what it took to get up on dry land. It's hard to remember that we once felt like we were drowning.

Since we are social beings, connected to one another whether we want to be or not, it’s easier to stay on our island if we know that we are not alone. Those who belong to a diet subculture (like the vegans, vegetarians and primalists referenced above) have websites, books, and mentors to follow. But for all maintainers, a vital task is finding other people who live on the island.

As you know, I run a monthly group for maintainers in the Cleveland area. After a couple of years of meetings, those of us who participate have discovered that we never run out of things to say. For many in the group, the maintenance of a significant weight loss is the defining challenge of their lives. They never tire of discussing the process. They also enjoy sharing their observations of what’s going on off-island. Viewed through the eye of the group, the behavior of the rest of the world seems nonsensical at times, almost incredible.

Month after month we repeat the truth to one another. It’s the truth of our island culture, not the truth of the world according to the Food Network. We congratulate each other, support each other when we venture a bit to close to the water’s edge. It is an enterprise that I highly recommend to those of you who are maintaining out there on your own. I offer my support if you would like to try starting a group in your area. Email me and I'll help as much as I can.

Form a group. Define your culture. Meet your neighbors. An island can be a pretty beautiful place to live, as long as you are not alone.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...the-island.html
  #276   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-12, 17:26

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I'm so grateful that we have our island here! Most of us will never meet in person, but we're friends none-the-less and we all know that we're here for each other. We all care what happens to each of us.
  #277   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-12, 14:12
Absurdtive

Great article, thanks for posting it Demi. I really do feel like I live on an island sometimes with my WOE. I really understand what she's saying. Having the support here from people who "get it" is invaluable for me.

--Melissa
  #278   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 08:10
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

What an amazing piece. Thanks for sharing it.
  #279   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 09:24
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Look how many of us have been on here for yearsandyearsandyearsandyear...and we still haven't run out of thngs to say.

and Glenda...you're right, we all may never meet, but I consider all of you my peeps
  #280   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 09:56
Looking 4 Onederland

Plan: Atkins '72, IF
Stats: 284.5/200/170 Female 5' 5"
BF:Why yes it is! ;)
Progress: 74%

Such an inspirational thread. I'm really enjoying exploring it.

Thanks!!
  #281   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-12, 15:55
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

ME TOOOOOO!
It does feel like an island sometimes- and a safe island.
thanks-
E
  #282   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-12, 08:20

BF:

Quote:
February 16, 2012

Tied to the Mast

by Barbara Berkeley, MD

Odysseus, the wandering protagonist of Homer’s Odyssey, had a healthy fear of temptation. In Greek mythology, sailors were regularly lured to their deaths by Sirens, creatures who sang a beautiful and irresistible song. Entranced by the song, these sailors steered toward the call and were dashed to pieces on the rocks.

In order to avoid this fate, Odysseus ordered his crew to plug their ears with beeswax and to tie him firmly to the ship's mast. On hearing the Sirens' song, Odysseus himself could not resist and begged to be untied, but since he had instructed his crew to ignore him, they refused his pleas. Thus, the ship was able to sail safely past danger; but only because Odysseus was smart enough not to underestimate the power of temptation.

The Odysseus story is mentioned in a recent article that detailed the effectiveness of offering restaurant-goers the choice of smaller servings. I loved the analogy.

Negotiating the modern food world so often seems like sailing through Siren filled waters. The call of the brownie is so sweet, the bowl of M & Ms looks so jolly, the Ben and Jerry’s packaging is so alluring…and that fresh baked bread? It’s the staff of life, isn't it?

Until we crash into the rocks.

As our doctor reveals that our fasting blood sugar is now above 100 and pulls out the prescription pad to treat our rising blood pressure and refill our Lipitor, we may suddenly realize that we’ve been had. Lured like bugs on sweet sticky-paper, devoured by the fragrance of the Venus fly-trap…

The work of maintenance, the life work of maintaining, is to learn to navigate these waters and, to some degree, to discover how to bind ourselves to the mast. Temptation will always surround us and we need to find a way to deafen ourselves to the call. But how? Perhaps you will add your own perspectives, but these are some of the ways I have found to be effective:
1. Temptations lose potency when they are not reinforced. For this reason, I advise most people to practice avoidance of trigger foods and to do this as completely as possible. Don’t make exceptions for birthdays, retirement dinners and cruises. The more you exclude triggers, the less power they will have over you.
2. Reduce exposure to the Sirens by avoiding the places where they live. Don’t detour unneccessarily into the cookie aisle or start a long conversation with a friend in front of the bakery window. Avoid restaurants where the main thrust of the menu is food you can’t eat.
3. Ban the Sirens from your presence. Do this by not inviting them into your home, by asking that they be taken off desks that adjoin yours at work or removed from plain sight in break rooms.
4. Finally, tell your crew not to listen to your pleas. Make it clear to friends and relatives that you simply don’t eat certain foods. They will be embarrassed to serve them to you and you will be embarrassed to ask for them in their presence. Enlist those who are close to you in supporting your goals. If you plead for cake, make sure that your allies remind you that you'd really rather not.

How do you avoid being dashed on the rocks? Send me your strategies.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...o-the-mast.html
  #283   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-12, 15:11

BF:

Quote:
February 20, 2012

Habit and Reward: Good for Target, Good for Maintainers

By Barbara Berkeley, MD

Here's an article everyone should read. In yesterday's New York Times magazine section, there was a long and eye-opening piece on the science of consumer behavior. It seems that we buy things because it becomes our habit to do so. Marketers rely on this habit and try to create it. There are times in our lives when we are more susceptible to changing habits. Target has found that pregnancy is one of those times, and it has gone to great lengths to identify pregnant women and to market to them.

Research with rats gives us insight into our own behavior. It turns out that habits have three components: a trigger, a behavior, and a reward. The brain is actively engaged only during parts one and three. What makes the habit a habit is that the behavior component, no matter how complex, is run automatically. In other words, once the habit is triggered, it’s on autopilot.

I’m sure that many of you will be horrified, as I was, by the extent of mind-control and manipulation that goes into modern marketing. But if we leave that aside, the information on habit formation gives us some powerful tools for changing things we may want to alter in our own lives. Changing habits is arguably the most vital task for maintainers.

So, I see two avenues to explore.

First: Since habits are so automatic and ingrained, and since powerful rewards like the pleasure of eating junk and sweets have carved habits deep into our neuro-pathways, we must consciously avoid putting ourselves in situations that pull the trigger. We’ve discussed this many times here, most recently in the last post. As much as we’d all love to eat controlled amounts of the modern foods that everyone else is downing, we’ve mostly learned that we can’t. We’ve also observed that when we do indulge, we are punished by a return of cravings. This is addressed in the Times article:
Habits aren’t destiny — they can be ignored, changed or replaced. But it’s also true that once the loop is established and a habit emerges, your brain stops fully participating in decision-making. So unless you deliberately fight a habit — unless you find new cues and rewards — the old pattern will unfold automatically.
“We’ve done experiments where we trained rats to run down a maze until it was a habit, and then we extinguished the habit by changing the placement of the reward,” Graybiel told me. “Then one day, we’ll put the reward in the old place and put in the rat and, by golly, the old habit will re-emerge right away. Habits never really disappear.”

Habits never really disappear. Words to live by.

Second: Since habits are created all the time and since we know their components, why not create our own? Rather than let someone else manipulate us with their chosen reward, how about deciding to reward ourselves? When I think about my own maintenance, I realize that I’ve set up many of these loops and that they are what keep me going. Weighing myself every day is a reward in maintenance. When I have to lose some weight because I’ve edged up a little, the scale is both my trigger to lose and my later reward. I’ve learned to get pleasure out of the feeling of being hungry on days when I have to bring my weight down. How have I done that? I associate that feeling with a pleasant day I’ve set up. I follow a pre-set reversal plan that I enjoy---usually to have a non-fat, skim mocha for both breakfast and lunch, a nutrition bar at 3 and to try to do some shopping if I can, which is fun and which distracts me. Then I have a huge salad and some protein for dinner. I look forward to these days rather than dreading them. The scale on the next morning’s weigh-in is a further reward.

I find that my Primarian eating style has become a reward in itself. After forcing myself to stay away from starches and sugars for many years, I now truly enjoy eating chicken, fish, nuts, veggies and fruit with some low fat dairy mixed in. I look forward to these meals and they have become their own reward. Each day, the pleasure that comes from eating this simple good food ingrains the habit more deeply. I have no doubt that if I started eating Mallomars again, I would immediately re-activate my chocolate cookie circuits. Why do that? I simply don’t want to.

One of the toughest jobs I have is to convince non-exercising patients that fitness has rewards that are as strong as bread, chocolate cake and pasta. I never used a muscle until I discovered aerobics in my late 30s. Within a month or so, the music and the energy took over from the pain of using those veal-like structures for the first time. Now, years later, I’ve found that I can create the same high from running to Michael Jackson’s “Jam” on a sunny day or playing a great set of doubles in tennis. Nothing beats a high-energy, dance-y aerobics class though. For me, the pinnacle is exercising when I am in the Bahamas: a place where dance, party and exercise all exist in one class at one time. When setting up your new reward circuits, don’t forget to search for the bliss that is found in physical challenge.

The Times article makes the point that rewards can be subtle. You are rewarded for backing out of your driveway successfully simply by the fact that you achieved that tricky maneuver. A reward doesn’t always have to be a treat. It can be a sense of balance, completion or satisfaction. The trick with food is to eliminate the over the top rewards of drug-like sugars and starches. It’s hard to compete with the hit of a drug to the pleasure centers, and these foods come way too close to that experience. Don’t put them in competition with other rewards because lesser rewards will lose out.

In essence, the Times article leads to conclusions that are just the opposite of those in my last post (Tied to the Mast). The two go well together because they demonstrate the two opposite faces of maintenance. The first: studious, focused avoidance of things that others find pleasurable. The second: the creation of a brand new world of habit and reward, based on one’s own rules…not those of the culture at large. Part Two completes Part One.

After all, there is no point in getting past the Sirens if you land in a grim place that no one would want to inhabit. Make it beautiful and you will want to stay.

Creativity is the basis of all art, even the art of maintenance.
http://refusetoregain.com/refusetor...aintainers.html
  #284   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-12, 15:44
Absurdtive

Thanks for posting those last two articles Demi. I can see clearly now that maintenance is definitely a balance between enjoying life and avoiding temptation. Most of us can eat more carbs than we did during weight loss but still not gain weight...but there is a fine line between weight maintenance and weight gain. It's tempting to keep testing those limits but it's not a good idea on a regular basis. We should stick with what we know the vast majority of the time, which are the foods that we ate to lose the weight in the first place.

We have had some long discussions in the past about the power of habit. That NYT article is further evidence of how much power habit really has over us...and that it IS possible to form new habits.

--Melissa
  #285   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 04:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Thanks for posting those last two articles Demi. I can see clearly now that maintenance is definitely a balance between enjoying life and avoiding temptation. Most of us can eat more carbs than we did during weight loss but still not gain weight...but there is a fine line between weight maintenance and weight gain. It's tempting to keep testing those limits but it's not a good idea on a regular basis. We should stick with what we know the vast majority of the time, which are the foods that we ate to lose the weight in the first place.

We have had some long discussions in the past about the power of habit. That NYT article is further evidence of how much power habit really has over us...and that it IS possible to form new habits.
Yes it is a balance, and yes, there is a very fine line between weight maintenance and weight loss. However, once you accept that, then it does make life (and weight maintenance) so much easier.