Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:30

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:
Default Why can't I eat raw veggies anymore?

Hi everyone!

I've been LC for a while, and recently noticed that I wasn't getting as many fruits and veggies as I should be (most of my carbs were coming from nuts and high-fibre cereals like wheat bran and such, plus some cooked veggies), so I got some berries and baby spinach and celery and other such goodies to munch on. The fruit has been fine, but every time I eat any reasonable amount of raw vegetable, it runs through me in a matter of hours--I had a salad come out within 2 hours! It's unreal.

What the heck is going on? I hate to eat all of my veggies cooked, but it's the only way they seem to digest properly. I've tried chewing extra-thoroughly, eating the veggies with fats and protein to slow 'em down. It doesn't seem to work. And why are the berries fine, but not the veggies?

Is this a temporary thing? Do I need to swear off raw veggies for now, and try them later? Any advice at all would be great--I'm running out of psyllium!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are you taking any kind of fiber suppliment? Maybe you are getting too much fiber from the veggies.

It could just be your body needs tiem to adjust to the roughage too. There is a favorite thread on here that talks about constipation and diareah when switching to low carb. For some people the raw veggies can cause problems at first. I know you have been Lc for a while, but the raw veggies are a newer thing. Maybe try cooking them for a while and grasdually ad din small amoutns of raw so you get used to them again.

Make a wilted salad. Brown meat, and leave some of the grease. Then toss in salad greens and cook until they look like cooked spinach.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 22:36

BF:
Progress:

Thanks LadyBelle! I am taking psyllium in response to the diarrhea from the raw veggies, but other than that no fibre supplements. It just seems ridiculous because I used to be fine with raw veggies on LC, and now my poor GI tract can't handle them.

I don't mind eating cooked vegetables, just not all the time, you know? Hopefully in a few days (is that too optimistic?) I'll be able to have some celery sticks without any trouble. I hate not having the option of a fresh salad.

Come to think of it, this problem started a while ago. I noticed that every time I had a Subway Melt salad from Subway, I got this same intestinal, er, distress. I just assumed it was from the dressing (Red Wine Vinaigrette because I refuse to eat that disgusting FAT FREE Italian dressing (garbage) that replaced the lovely Lite Italian). Gosh, it must be months since I first noticed that, but other raw veggies seemed okay (I think).

I may just try that wilted salad, gross as it sounds.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It's alot better tasting then it sounds.

You might want to back off the psyllium husks, or at least keep track of how much fiber you are getting. Too much fiber can cause a diareah response as well. Not having sugar alcohols at all are you?

If it continues you may want to see a doctor. There could be digestive tract problems that makes it harder for your body to absorb nutrients or to handle roughage.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:10

BF:
Progress:

Nope, no sugar alcohols of any kind. I can't even remember the last time I had sugar alcohols, but I don't respond well to them, so it was a LONG time ago. I know for sure it's the raw veggies causing this, because they come out rather undigested.

Not even eating all that much roughage (15-20g/day most days, some days as much as 25g). I also eat 1/2 c. of yogurt every day, to help with intestinal flora.

What I meant before was that I am only taking psyllium to STOP the diarrhea once it has started--it's incredibly effective, and often I notice the difference immediately after drinking my dose. But I'm running low on it, and frustrated that I can't just enjoy some celery or cucumber without cooking it first.