Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 07:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Tea vs coffee and stevia

New observations and possibly very very bad news for me.

Yesterday I had a few cups of coffee wit heavy cream and one with 3 packs and one with 2 packs of 3yr old sweetleaf stevia. I felt fine, like I normally do, no extra nothing, was getting a mild headache later in the day, but ate my famous salad ~7:30, and all was good.

Today, after having a much better nights sleep, I wake up and make my usual tea, and put heavy cream in it, and put 1 pack sweetleaf. And now, not 20 mins later, all sorts of hunger and woozy feeling and starting the mild headache.

So unless it can be tied to stevia accumulation, I am thinking its the tea. Maybe my psychological expectation is a day full of carbs when I have tea, and if so, I can easily short circuit that.
Maybe its something in tea. If so, I cant really imagine what I'll do.

Of course I need to drop to 158 and wonder about that.

Thanks.
Srinath.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 06:10
Registered Member

BF:

OK round 2. Tea with cream. But used 1 pure via and 1 nectresse today, both packets and both were nearly 3yrs old.
It was just about palatable. Yesterday's was not.

However 20 mins later, I am not in the same turmoil like I was yesterday.

That means, sweeteners that work with coffee dont neccesarily work with tea, I'll have to experiment with tea.
Also its barely 90 mins since I've been up, and I'm already downed 24 oz of water. Been thirsty like I've been wandering in the desert for months. May have something to do with the crustless pizza bowl I ate yesterday.

Thanks.
Srinath.

Last edited by Srinath_69 : Fri, Oct-07-16 at 06:14. Reason: typo
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 08:01

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

Be careful of cause and effect assignments :-).

Caffine does funny things, Low carb does funny things, mix the two together and add in some chemicals that do funny things, and you get (life) but also a lot of unknowns.

Sweeteners affect people in different ways some people can manage them no bother, in others it drives hunger as the body is thinking its getting sugar.

If you are already mildly dehydrated which is the case very often on low carb, and by dehydrated I mean not enough water in the blood stream which is often caused by low salt levels. Then caffeine can cause all sorts of problems by acting as a diuretic.

In an ideal world we would not want sweet foods, but we don't live there, but trying to cut down on the amount of caffeine and the amount of sweetener would be beneficial.

The last part I would say is to insure you get enough sodium, potassium and magnesium in your diet.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 08:56
Registered Member

BF:

I tried the tea with plain Purevia - and pretty much tossed it ~ first sip, Nectresse alone, better, but still went down the drain after 2 sips. Purevia+nectresse 1 each was fine ~ first try, may try that later, and today I am really not suffering any issues with tea.
I don't think its spiking insulin, or ghrelin or anything.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-16, 10:42
Registered Member

BF:

I wont be drinking these for enjoyment, that's for sure.
I have a few more stevia makes to try, if that fails, I may try Splenda, and if that fails, I am going to stick with black coffee till I get to 158, and test myself for insulin sensitivity etc etc and then decide what I am going to do.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-08-16, 10:18
Registered Member

BF:

Pyure brand stevia powder, with its ingredient list being - Organic stevia leaf extract - Reb A - is pretty much the only thing I'd even consider for tea. Which runs counter to all claims about how the added ingredients help it get better this or that. It does however float on top of the tea in a rather dystopian way. Need to chase it with a spoon and squish it against the wall of the cup to get it to dissolve. Looked like I threw Styrofoam beads onto my team

Let me watch it for side effects for a day or 2.

I also should experiment with adding it earlier in the process.

Also I had 1/2 sucralose laced drink yesterday. Not much effect that I can tell. I may have to go with sucralose because I seemed to tolerate it very well when I was drinking shakes 2 X a day, then 1 a day, then none since Sept 17th.

Thanks.
Srinath.