Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 09:56
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%
Default Running and lower back pain

Anyone experience this?

I've been doing (and LOVING) C25K. Love love love. That being said, I'm a little bit concerned because I'm getting some pretty bad lower back pain since starting a few months ago.

To back up a bit - I've dealt with pain all my life. I had surgery in February for a diagnosis of 3 hernations (l3-4, l4-5, l5-s1), spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, and severe lubar arthritis. I know, right? Ok - so moving past that. I have had NO pain in my lower back until the running. I had done other cardio - usually just walking or intervals on the eliptical or bike, significant weight training with a personal trainer - nothing aggrivated it. Now that I have been exclusively running, the pain has been enough to slightly worry me. It's constant throughout the day at work, and wakes me up in the night to readjust. I suffered for so long, and don't want to go back to that place, or end up as one of those people that have back surgery over and over again.

The good news is, is that it is a different type of pain than what I had before. Before, it was sciatica like most times, with shootin pains down my leg all the way to my ankle. I had loss of feeling from the knee down leading up to my surgery, which was very scary. None of that. Just constant, nagging pain. I don't think I've herniated again since there is no tingling or loss of feeling anywhere, and it's more on the left side than the right, which was my problem area before. It seems likely to be the Sacroiliac Joint. I left my sister, who is a PT, a voicemail. I'll see what she has to say.

I'm sure there won't be anyone with the exact issues I've dealt with (I'd hope not, anyway!!), but I'm just concerned that I might need to give up on the running and go back to walking and other cardio. If you've had the lower back pain, has anything helped? I used traditional running shoes at first, but had a lot of hip and shin pain. Switched to a minimalist shoe, and that all went away. I have had back pain throughout though, and as I progress to longer runs, it's getting worse.

Obvious answer is probably obvious - stop running and see what happens. I just don't like the obvious answer much

Last edited by krystalr : Wed, Sep-15-10 at 11:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 16:23

Plan: Atkins + Vegetarian
Stats: 167/154.6/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I'm not sure if this will help or not, but I was able to significantly reduce my back-pain in sports (I play roller derby) by doing lots of core exercises.

While I hate "the plank" and all those related core strengthening routines, what my trainer told me (and it was true) was that a weak core tends to lend to exercisers putting strain on their lower back as it rounds too much when fatigue sets in.

So now I suffer through my core workout, and I'm careful to "activate" (flex) my core muscles when I skate or do any other upright cardio. My back pain is all but gone.

The "cow/cat" yoga stretch can also help with lower back strain.
http://yoga.about.com/od/yogasequences/ss/catcow.htm
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 17:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I had a weak core (so weak I tore my abdominal muscle away from the bone) and the sacroiliac joint was the first thing to start hurting. It was very inflamed after the injury. Can you see a chiropractor? Don't take this as proof you need to give up on running - take it as evidence of a need to strengthen your body. It's a totally different way of looking at injuries.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 17:39

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

As an avid runner for many years of running half/marathons and different races..I to came into the same pain. I understand where you are coming from and I do feel your pain. After going thru alot of the same stuff as you with the sciatic nerve etc..I eventually had shots put into my discs and it did help the pain. I have gone back to running but not as rigid as before..I have went from 5 days a week to 2. Its the constant pounding on the treadill/pavement etc. You can get plenty of cardio exercise besides running and a brisk walk is good as well. Of course It took a hard pill to swallow to give up my intense running and I went into deep depression. But, honestly with all your previous problems and surgery I wouldn't push yourself to the limit. You might be in the same boat before and god forbid that happens. I did go to a chiro for months/MRI and xrays..The works..Our bodies are not built to withstand the torture we give them..lol. Wishing you the best and Like I said before..There are other ways to get your exercising in

PS Ice Packs on the lower back helps..Sleeping with a pillow under your legs to ease the pressure on lower back..Women have it rough with backs..Just listen to your body and it will tell you. Its tough I know..I tried everything..But dont give up on everything.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 18:44
Induction ≠ Atkins

I went ahead and made an apppointment with the neurosurgeon that did my spinal surgery. They told me he was book until November, but when I told them what was happening (and then looked my file) they put me in tomorrow at 11.

I probably won't find anything out tomorrow, but will likely have an appointment for an MRI in the coming days.

I've done a LOT of work on my core - I should've put that in. I worked with a trainer (after my PT tore my hamstring on my second appointment post to...UGH) 3 times a week for 4 months on core strengthening. While there is always more to do, I've built it a LOT of stability and core strength.

Hopefully it's just a flare that will go away with some rest. The injections no longer offer me any relief (I did them for 7 years before caving to the surgery) - even the deep ones that you get under anesthesia. They used to help me for months at a time, and got to the point where it only lasted a few days.

Anywho - we'll see. Thanks for everyone's insight.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:12

BF:

You've been through an awful lot. I hope you find some relief and help.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:24
Induction ≠ Atkins

Well..I'm back.

I have an appointment for next Thursday. I have to go to the hospital to be put under so they can do 3 deep injections - 2 into the facet joint at l3/l4 and l4/l5, and 1 into the hip/SI joint.

Due to my history, they're strongly recommending no more running, at least not for a while (6 months). I'm bummed, but I'll just find something else to keep me moving. I had been doing all my running at the track, which is one of the rubbery type...things probably would've been worse if I was running on concrete. I'll dial it back to power walking and the eliptical for now, and re-evaluate things later depending on how these injections work. If they don't last long (2 weeks or less), then I have to go back for a better look and an MRI.

Trying not to let the news get me down too much. Think I can throw my back out doing zumba? LOL
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 11:40

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Run, don't walk, to a physical therapist who knows about Egoscue. Your history probably has your muscles and bones all cattywumpus from adapting to your earlier pain and what not. Are you familiar with the tennis raquet analogy? The bones are like the rim and the muscles are like the strings. When things get twisted up, there comes the pain.

http://www.egoscue.com/

Medical people only consider injections and surgery because that's what they know. I cannot TELL you how many people I know who have fixed backs, knees, necks, sciatica just from addressing the musculoskeletal issues.

Then when you are pain-free, investing in someone who can help you with running form. Clearly if your pain increased with the running, something is going on, and it can maybe be fixed without drugs or surgery.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-10, 14:46

BF:

You've been running minimalist though, right? In that case, you would have been a thousand times better off on concrete, actually. Most people who run barefoot recommend running on concrete as the first step towards proper form. You cannot "fake" good form on concrete, because you will get immediate feedback. A squishy track will just mess that feedback loop up. I hate running on squishy tracks - it's much, much harder because your body (your back) has to absorb all that rebound energy.