Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 04:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/230/185 Male 71"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool Hi Just me

Hello
I'm Enoch. I used this diet successfully in 97-99. I went from a 42 down to a 34 in about a year. I kept it there for about a year and gradually went back up to 40, and to be honest 42 is more comfortable. This is where I stand now. My wife is not very supportive because she believes this diet is bad for me. However, the protein diet is the only thing that has ever worked. Except anorexia, which almost killed me in the 80's. I won't go there. I'm trying this forum with three things in mind. 1, moral support. 2, information. and 3, mostly accountability. I have a lot of info but one can never have too much. I have almost no support, and absolutely no accountability. The diet worked in 97 because I had a lot of support at work. Now I'm self employed and my wife is my only support. Here I am hoping to meet some like minded people to communicate with. Who knows I might even meet some people I can call friends.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 05:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/268/160 Female 5ft 7 Inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hey Enoch,
My names lana and ive been on the diet for over a week now.. I just cant believe the results.. if this is what u want to do, stick to it.. Ive tried and failed many times, but when i stepped on the scales last week i was not amused!! ive never been that weight, and never want to be again!! Everytime u feel dicouraged think of a goal or the reason youre doing the diet (im sure u know this) but it really helps me focus.. Ive also started walking a circuit everyday after work, and find it really helps boost my energy.. Before i wanted to go home and have something nice or cosy up (typical irish life.. Weather terrible!) But now i just think no.. do i really get enjoyment out of carbs that much that i want to sacrifice being slim (and happier).. Think ill go without for a while and try losing weight..Least you can say you tried.. Stick to it, how can a diet that helps you lose weight and all the other things that come with it be bad for you?! Youll be grand....;-)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 05:07
Registered Member

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 240/176/154 Male 172cm
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm also fairly new here. I hope that you do well, its a very supportive environment and the information here is great. But with regard to accountability, the best is internal. Read all the success stories and motivate yourself through that, as a first step.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 05:27

BF:

Thanks for the response I have done this diet successfully in the past but because of a doctors scare tactics my wife forced me off of the diet. I'm back up to a 42 waist and I am sick and tired of this size. I don't use the scale I simply go by waist size. I an looking to go down to a 32-34 starting now. I can fit into a 40 but its tight. I will keep reporting my waist size as it reduces. My goal is to be comfortable in a 38 by new years day.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 05:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanabanana
Hey Enoch,
My names lana and ive been on the diet for over a week now.. I just cant believe the results.. if this is what u want to do, stick to it.. Ive tried and failed many times, but when i stepped on the scales last week i was not amused!! ive never been that weight, and never want to be again!! Everytime u feel dicouraged think of a goal or the reason youre doing the diet (im sure u know this) but it really helps me focus.. Ive also started walking a circuit everyday after work, and find it really helps boost my energy.. Before i wanted to go home and have something nice or cosy up (typical irish life.. Weather terrible!) But now i just think no.. do i really get enjoyment out of carbs that much that i want to sacrifice being slim (and happier).. Think ill go without for a while and try losing weight..Least you can say you tried.. Stick to it, how can a diet that helps you lose weight and all the other things that come with it be bad for you?! Youll be grand....;-)

Hi Lana
I've put you on my buddy list because we are at the same point, just starting. we are both at 0% goal. actually you're a week ahead of me so you have an edge. If you would like we can buddy up and coax each other toward our goal. I'm an old dude so I'm safe. Not looking to shag anyone. so if you like email me. Some people will tell you this diet doesn't work for women. they're lying. people will like your commitment at first but the closer you get to your goal the more jealous they will get. you will find yourself getting more fanatical about the diet as it becomes a lifestyle. Then you become a fanatic about it. Don't lose the fanaticism. look forward to talking to you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 08:30

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Low carb is healthy. The only way your wife could 'force' you off the diet is by restraining you in some way and force feeding you. As an adult, you are still responsible for what you put in your mouth. Both of you know that the bigger waist size is unhealthy in so many ways. Just stick with us and we will give you support and accountability. It won't be easy with your wife against the idea, but you have to do what's best for your health. As your waist size goes down and your blood profile improves, she will have to concede that this is a healthy way to live. Best of luck!

Sunny!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 09:15

Stats: 278/252/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I just got my bloodwork in the mail yesterday with a note from my doctor saying keep doing what you are doing. I can't wait to tell her I've been eating Atkins for the last 4 months when I go in next week. I've lost weight but I don't know the pounds, I go by size change and I have lost several of those. The reason medical people give for slamming Atkins is the negative effect on blood lipids that eating all that fat is supposed to have. Well you certainly can't say that about my results:

Cholestral was 212 now 164
HDL was 68 now 67
LDL was 109 now 70
Trig was 175 now 135

I do take meds for cholestral but they haven't changed, just my diet. I've been on meds for over 12 years. We won't talk about what they were off meds... except to say there were very very alarming. Maybe I could even get off of them! Now that would be a biggie.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 10:14

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo55
I just got my bloodwork in the mail yesterday with a note from my doctor saying keep doing what you are doing. I can't wait to tell her I've been eating Atkins for the last 4 months when I go in next week. I've lost weight but I don't know the pounds, I go by size change and I have lost several of those. The reason medical people give for slamming Atkins is the negative effect on blood lipids that eating all that fat is supposed to have. Well you certainly can't say that about my results:

Cholestral was 212 now 164
HDL was 68 now 67
LDL was 109 now 70
Trig was 175 now 135

I do take meds for cholestral but they haven't changed, just my diet. I've been on meds for over 12 years. We won't talk about what they were off meds... except to say there were very very alarming. Maybe I could even get off of them! Now that would be a biggie.
Congratulations! That's impressive results. The best thing that could happen is for you to get off the meds--they never mention the really bad side effects. Keep doing what you're doing and it shouldn't be too long before that happens.

Sunny!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 10:47

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

HI Enoch- Welcome to the forum! There is indeed lots of support and information here. Do start a journal. It's a great way to meet new friends and get a support network going! Also, feel free to visit other peoples journals. I've learned alot by reading about other people!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 11:38

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCarol
Low carb is healthy. The only way your wife could 'force' you off the diet is by restraining you in some way and force feeding you. As an adult, you are still responsible for what you put in your mouth. Both of you know that the bigger waist size is unhealthy in so many ways. Just stick with us and we will give you support and accountability. It won't be easy with your wife against the idea, but you have to do what's best for your health. As your waist size goes down and your blood profile improves, she will have to concede that this is a healthy way to live. Best of luck!

Sunny!

Thanks SC I believe you're right. I have to own my behavior. She doesn't force me to eat carbs but she hounds me and makes it easy to carb out. Not to mention, I love bread and sweets. But I have to do this for me and she'll reap the benefits as well. Last time I was on the diet I was very healthy. I'm looing forward to being a loser.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 11:42

BF:
Cool How to journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charran
HI Enoch- Welcome to the forum! There is indeed lots of support and information here. Do start a journal. It's a great way to meet new friends and get a support network going! Also, feel free to visit other peoples journals. I've learned alot by reading about other people!

Thanks Char I was wondering about how to start a journal. I see the journals on some posts but I can't find how to start it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 12:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I just copied this from the technical support forum. Go there if you ever need help doing anything and read the stickies at the beginning! Hope this helps!

Go to the forum Home Page by clicking on the "Home" icon" or any of the other shortcuts to get there (menu bar, main logo, category bar)

Scroll down to the "My Journal / Bootcamp" section.

To start a new journal, click on the "New Thread" button, write your first entry and a title, and click "Submit".

To add entries to your journal and respond to others in their journals, click the "New Reply" button.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 12:04

Stats: 278/252/180 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Last edited by flamingo55 : Sat, Nov-11-06 at 12:05. Reason: never mind
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-06, 18:59
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hey Enoch,

My wife hates this diet too, but at leasts works with it now that she's seen the results. (and she complains about the diet, but after seeing my results.. watches her carbs now )

Truthfully, I didn't get to be overweight by eating well, and on LC I'm eating more fruit and fiber than I EVER did!!

Good luck!!

Mike
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-06, 05:47

BF:
Cool Nothing works like results

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddioM
Hey Enoch,

My wife hates this diet too, but at leasts works with it now that she's seen the results. (and she complains about the diet, but after seeing my results.. watches her carbs now )

Truthfully, I didn't get to be overweight by eating well, and on LC I'm eating more fruit and fiber than I EVER did!!

Good luck!!

Mike

Thanks for the encouragment. I don't understand how you can eat fruit. Thats what got me in trouble. I was doing great with LC. I was down to 34" waist. Then I had a bout with diverticulitis, which had nothing to do with the diet, and the doctor said I had to have five fruits a day. My wife blamed the LC and insisted that I heed the doctors advise. I asked the doc for an alternative but he was anti LC and she believed him. after about a year I was back up to a tight 36 and gave up altogether. now I am squeezing into 40's.