Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 23:16

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Supplements in GB

I have a trip to GB planned for September, and have some questions for the locals. One supplement that I take every day is gelatin - a spoonful in my morning tea. But taking a white powder in my luggage (enough for 4 weeks) seems like asking for trouble. I have no doubt that this is available in the UK, but don't know where I should look for it. Can anyone give me some advice on this? I find it helps with my occasionally achy joints.
And if anyone can give either touristy or low carb advice/ideas for visitors to Cornwall or Kent (and a few days in London) I would be very grateful :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 09:48
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

You can get powdered gelatine in sachets at big supermarkets:

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb...tine-sachet-36g

Or it might be best to order from amazon UK if you're able while you're here, where you'll have a better choice.

When I'm in London I love the British Museum. I don't go in for much touristy stuff when I'm in London, so otherwise can't recommend much.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 11:14

BF:

Thank you leemack. Wow! One pound per sachet; not sure I want to go that route. I wonder if natural food stores might have what I want? Probably even more expensive than Sainsbury's. <sigh>

Museums are already on the list. DH is an artist, so art museums are a must, and I have always loved London's Natural History museum.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 12:06
NEVER GIVING UP!

Holland and Barrett is the one in most towns, but I don't think it does gelatine powder.

This is from amazon uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chef-Willia...wdered+gelatine

Still really expensive. I think you can arrange to have it delivered somewhere to collect near where you're staying if that helps - if you're willing to pay the price.

Lots of galleries in London, Tate and The National Gallery are great.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 14:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Verbena, when in doubt, keep things in the original packaging.

Carry packets of gelatin, one for each day of the trip, in a zippered baggie. Even though they say what they are, write on the baggie: POWDERED GELATIN FOR MORNING TEA.

I take a lot of supplements, and used to have an Herbalife shake every.single.morning.

Rather than carry a big canister, I'd mix my shake powder, put in a gallon baggie with a scoop and enough for the trip, with the same labeling: FORMULA ONE LATTE SHAKES, etc.

I've been to several countries, both on this continent and in Europe, and never had troubles, that way.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 16:14

BF:

MickiSue, that may be what I'll end up doing. I like my Great Lakes gelatin, that comes in a 1# box, but will probably just go back to Knox packets for the time I'm away. Last trip I took, without the morning gelatin, my knees were hurting with all the walking.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-17-16, 16:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Lots of galleries in London, Tate and The National Gallery are great.

I love London. Spent a fair bit of time there when I was much younger, and traveling around the British Isles and Ireland, staying in youth hostels. It was back then when I was last in Cornwall; DH has never been to that part of England, and it has been more than 40 years for me. And I have relatives in Kent, so we'll be stopping there for a bit as well.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-16, 07:24
NEVER GIVING UP!

Have a great time