Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-17, 19:20

Plan: Keto
Stats: 177/167/158 Female 5'5
BF:Too high :)
Progress: 53%
Default :) Day four ...is my goal attainable?

Hey guys! I'm 30 female and just started Keto!! I did an Atkins variation when I was 19 and lost 70lbs !! I'm currently at 173...started Monday at 177! My honeymoon is April 23rd 😮😬 and I would like to be 😶 158-160... is it possible lol ?? I am currently do 75-80 % fat 15-20 protein and 5 carb... No fake foods and no dairy 🤤... also my calories are between 14-1700 each day is that ok? I'm mainly eating bacon coconut oil avocado oil no sugar mayo olive oil ground pork/ground beef steaks tuna and eggs ....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 03:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Redirish,
You have been on Atkins more recently than that. What are you doing differently since your posts last year? If you are just adding more extra fat, that wouldn't be my suggestion to get to goal weight, you were likely eating enough fat on Atkins. Keto does not mean you EAT 75-80% fat if your goal is weight loss, some fat must come from your body stores. Simple explanation:

https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

Keto can simply be to keep Total Carbs below 20g, protein moderate... average 50-75g, and just enough added fat to cook vegetables or dress a salad. Do not force the fat, and consider a restricted eating window. Congratulations on your upcoming honeymoon.

More technical explanation (this is new and quite good) : https://intensivedietarymanagement....-bombs-and-bpc/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-23-17 at 05:16.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 07:42

Plan: Keto
Stats: 177/167/158 Female 5'5
BF:Too high :)
Progress: 53%

Hi !! I have tried multiple times to come back but always sort of thwarted my efforts I feel like with dairy and processed fake low carb food, so those are out!! I have been doing some research lately on Keto and many people advocate those macro percentages the 75/20/5 ... I do plan on cutting back fat/calories if I don't lose but for me 15-1700 is much less than I was eating and I'm fairly active! I do plan on trying 16:8 in the coming weeks, right now without trying I'm getting close! I just wanted to get my hunger under control this first week! How do you eat daily macros calories? Thanks for the response

Last edited by Redirish86 : Thu, Feb-23-17 at 07:50.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 08:15

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Redirish. Congrats on the April honeymoon. Swimsuits and other resort wear are pretty good motivation. But please don't beat yourself up trying to reach a "goal weight." Clearly somebody loves you exactly as you are, and you should love you, too. Just aim for relaxation and enjoyment, okay?

Meanwhile, you can of course work on building a healthy nutrition plan to carry you forever into the future. I can verify that a happy relationship with a partner can be quickly fattening. I'd suggest aiming to eat REAL FOOD, and foods you like, in reasonable quantities. Janet''s resources will help you decide.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-17, 04:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The "don't force the fat" article above has bar graphs and pie charts showing samples of how the percentages work when you account for using your "on board pantry" as Dr Westman calls body fat. Although I have the 75/20/5 goals in MFP, I only watch the actual grams of carbs (20g) and protein (50-75g) ..then use only the amount of fat not to be hungry. One of the main benefits of IF, eating OMD with a snack, was being able to keep protein down to Ketogenic levels. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Quote:
How do you eat daily macros calories?

What is this question? I watch grams of carbs and protein, not calories.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 11:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi. Congratulations on your honeymoon!
I'm new to taking this way of life as a way of life-- a mind set change, living well and eating this way for me and my health over the long term. (But I am experienced with low carb in the on-again-off-again, take off a few pounds temporarily way).

Janet makes super good points, and is right (IMO) about watching the carbs and protein and letting the fat fall where it will based on hunger, etc. I do fairly high fat (the keto range for macros you mention) but that's because I eat to satiety and that's what's working. I don't force fat.

It works for me-- 15 lbs in 7 weeks--and I feel great, not hungry all the time or cravings at all. Of course YMMV.

And Barbs comments are Bang On. That's what makes the permanent change. It's taken me years to get to that mindset though.... And I'm still scared I'll backslide (not with food but with understanding that this is simply who I am and how I eat.)

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 15:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't know what exact number you'll get to, but I'd bet you can get to results you can be proud of in that time. If you're choosing to work with a deadline, tracking your food is probably important. I take the tack that while just counting calories in order to force a calorie deficit is fairly useless, leading to rebound, tracking calories and then seeing how the food you eat affects your energy and appetite is fairly useful. With carbohydrates already restricted, it's fairly easy to experiment. For me, 1800 calories with 100 grams of protein and most of the rest of the calories as fat will leave me hungrier and less energetic than 1800 calories with 60 grams of protein and the rest as fat--but for a lot of other people, the opposite is liable to be true.