Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 07:20

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Rogue Atkins Dieter Seeking Asylum

I started Atkins 3-28-2010. When I did, I immediately joined an Atkins board for support. That board, which I shall not name, is more of a cult than a support board. No variations allowed. No flexibility. It's all by the book. Should you mention anything that indicates flexibility, you will spur an argument that involves word-for-word passages from the book. I guess I kinda liked that at first. It gave me comfort for the first hundred days or so of my stall.

I've been stalled on Atkins since early August 2010. Since starting last March, I've gone off plan exactly once, over Christmas, for two days. I've raised my carbs, lowered my carbs, cut out dairy, exercised more, exercised less, cut out nuts, spent weeks eating flax, spent months avoiding flax.

I started at 250 nearly a year ago and I have to date lost about 30 pounds. I've weighed between 217 and 225 since August. I've lost the same 5 pounds over and over. I also vary by 2 inches over my hips/waist.

Even when I lost the initial 30 Atkins pounds, I lost it in large wooshes. I've never lost consistently on Atkins.

One of the reasons I have not given up totally yet is that I love Atkins. I love how I feel while on the diet. I love not being ruled by cravings; I love the way I feel physically when my blood sugar levels are stable. Diabetes runs strong in my family and I fear if I don't get a handle on my diet now, I'll end up just like everyone else, carrying around bottles of insulin to keep me alive.

My goal is to be healthier, overall. I love the whole foods approach of Atkins.

I'd like to lose weight as part of this overall goal. I am not looking to become rail-thin, wear tank tops and/or booty shorts in public or anything... I just want to not be morbidly obese.

I found this forum while searching for information on the fat fast. I've intended to start this several times, only to be talked out of it. Within the cult, I was told I was doing something horrible and that I should just stick with the directions in the book.

I am at the point where I am tired. I've lost all excitement explaining the Atkins diet when someone asks why I can't have cake, or potatoes, or some of their prized macaroni salad. It was fun to tell people about my diet when I was new with the expectation of losing. I know that it's not wise to compare myself with others, but generally speaking, I know other middle-aged women who do something as simple as just cut out soda and have dropped more weight than I have within the last year; I've cut out soda, chips, pretzels, bread, cake, ice cream, brownies, cereal, most fruit, fast food, sugar, pasta, candy, muffins, tortillas, etc., etc. and I can't seem to drop an ounce. I know low-fat/low-cal doesn't work for me either, so I need to do something else. What I am doing now is merely frustrating me.

OK - back to why I am here. While looking for information on the fat fast, I came across a discussion on carb cycling. I found a really long thread here that I am excited about. Rather than the fat fast, I think I want to give this a try.

So, here I am. Are ya'll going to shoot me if I only drink 55 ounces of water one day, or have an extra sweetener on someone's birthday?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 07:54

Plan: not sure
Stats: 211/202/172 Female 56
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi Jenn

Welcome!! I think you will find everyone friendly and supportive here no matter what.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 13:17

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

You're planning to deviate? Bang, bang!! Just kidding, of course.

If it's any comfort (probably not), I stalled for a full year with another 15 lbs to lose. I went back to induction level carbs - didn't help. Tried various other things, but nothing seemed to work. And then my blood tests came back pre-diabetic and I felt betrayed by the diet and by my body. However, before I went back for a retest, I cut out all artificial sweeteners for a week. Blood work came back just fine this time, and the weight slowly started to shift itself.

I'm not saying this would work for you necessarily, what I am saying is never give up!

Oh, and welcome to the friendliest forum on the internet!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 14:33
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/231.7/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Welcome Jenn. I hope they don't shoot people here for not being strict as I would be dead already. I'm a typical, stupid person. I know what works and yet I don't stick to it. LC works for me, however I do have to tweak it at times. I've done Atkins, 20 carbs limit, zero carbs, intermittent fasting, a bit of paleo, and more and more tweaks. It all works for me. I just get bored and fall off the wagon until I gain the weight back.

Lots of people have gone through the same thing you have and you are more than welcome to hang out here with the rest of us. Myself, I'm just getting my butt back in gear after screwing up for the last few months. It seems like every year Thanksgiving kills me and it takes to Feb to get back on track.

Good luck and keep up the great work!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 05:57

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi all!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Glenda: I appreciate your input! I go through waves with high sweetener usage. Coincidentally, these 'waves' start with the purchase of a bottle of sugar-free Da Vinci's syrup and end when I throw out the empty.

I am trying to train myself to drink coffee without sweetener as we speak

Good Luck lowjax!

Last edited by *Jenn* : Tue, Feb-15-11 at 07:51.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-15-11, 08:00
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/231.7/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks for the encouragement, Jenn.

I've noticed the same thing with the artificial sweetners. Once I start, it leads to stalling and eventually a slip off the wagon to terrible eating and cravings.

Also, the coffee without sweetener is something that I did as well and the best thing I have found is heavy whipping cream. I probably put a bit too much in, but it is nice and thick and helps a lot over powdered creamer or anything else.