Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 20:40

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 100%
Arrow Once you got your goal, did you resume 'normal' eating?

Just curious. I lost the weight and I was able to resume eating the foods that gained me the weight, just ate them in moderation. Do you guys do this diet for life or would you like to eat what you feel like eating--maybe some occasional ice cream or candy at the movies?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 22:23
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguecloud
Just curious. I lost the weight and I was able to resume eating the foods that gained me the weight, just ate them in moderation. Do you guys do this diet for life or would you like to eat what you feel like eating--maybe some occasional ice cream or candy at the movies?

I don't know what your weight history is but I do know mine. I had to change the way I eat permanently if I expect to keep my weight off. I have lost and gained so many times that if I gain this back again....well...I just don't want to think about it.

I can have all my favorites again but not every day and not in the quantities I used to eat. So, yes, moderation is key.....but also knowing what my trigger foods are and eating them with caution.

I am bascially sugar free and I do buy and eat no sugar added ice cream and eat it a few times a week. But I also eat fresh fruit and love that too.

I am a cookie monster and love them!! I've found a rice bran cracker that has been satisfying my urge for a cookie. No, I don't eat real cookies any longer.......except a couple of months ago I had one of those big chocolate chip cookies and that quelled my desire for quite a while.

For me, its been about learning to find foods that are healthier and not as processed as the foods I used to eat and so far...I'm doing OK.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 04:48

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

At this point, the only thing I can think of that I'd like to have is real apple pie -- and I'll wait to make that in the fall when the apples come in fresh. But I can make that sugar-free with no change in the taste of the pie, so I'm not sure that counts as "normal" food. I do need flour for the crust, but I think I can modify that a bit, too. And lard, of course, which will mitigate some of the flour carbs.

So...in answer to your question:

No, I don't think I'll resume "normal" eating as defined by how I used to eat that got my weight up to 240 at my largest. I don't see that happening. I know how to eat now in a way that helps my body maintain health, I have LOADS of energy and I like the foods I'm eating. Why would I want to change back to my old, unhealthy ways?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 06:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

I wont ever go back to my formal "normal" eating..its what got me in the fix in the first place...and please..spare me the 'normal" american diet..I get stupid sometimes and make foolish choices..and when i do i find that those indulgences rarely live up to my fantasy... personally, i love the foods i eat on plan...love the way i feel and look..I'd prefer going 'forward' to going 'back" ..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 08:29

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

My "normal" way of eating is the very low carb way of eating. I will never go back to the old way of high carb and starches. That way was a necessity since I was broke while I was home taking care of my terminally ill husband instead of working and making money. I had to live off the largesse of the Salvation Army... beans, rice, pasta...I had no other choice.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 09:33

Stats: 234/141.8/149 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 108%

"Normal" isn't what I'd call the way I ate that made my butt gigantic to begin with. LOL

With that said, I did try to go back at one point and eat several things that I was fully aware I shouldn't have been. What happened? Almost 20lbs happened. Yeah...thanks but no thanks!

Low-carb *is* my normal eating now and it has to stay that way if I'm going to be in the 5% that maintain for 5 years.

I *will* be one of the 5%.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 18:26
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brook
I *will* be one of the 5%.

I like the way you think Brook!! I want to be in that 5% too!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 18:39

BF:

I will be one of the 5% as well..
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 21:01

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

i am one Of The 5%!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-06, 21:07
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi-p
i am one Of The 5%!!!

I'm impressed!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-28-06, 05:42

BF:

Bobi-P amen sistah!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 05:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

There is no going back. Insulin resistance is not something you "cure" by eating LC, it is something you manage. I can never eat the way I used to. This is how my body wants me to eat now - the CALP way. Moderation is not the point- sorry.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-29-06, 11:00

Stats: 169/142/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:37%/24%/22%
Progress: 69%

I have been more lax but regret it every time I get off plan.
My son started Induction and I started to feel hungry again along with getting laid off. I stopped going to the gym and have noticed the jelly belly coming back.
Maintenance is for life for me as well.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 06:57

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I eat everything. My portions are moderate. I eat 3 times a day, nothing between meals. I walk to work (4 miles daily round trip). The only thing I never went back to in eating is cereal. I have not eaten that years.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 07:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I never went off Atkins, but I did get slack with my "cheat days." This caused me to put back on 10-15 pounds. I have currently relost almost 10.

Lesson learned.